media players [merged thread]

Sadly, last time I looked ae JetAudio it didn’t support Replay Gain, which will never make it an Audiophiles choice. Has it changed?

Also there are professional headphone DSP’s available for foobar, which are essential for me.

You know what, Creasy…
I’ve been using JetAudio for years; since it first coming out on the net.
Way back when Tucows and FTP-ing is still ‘hip’ and RocketMail is still there.
When USA.net still rules and Hotmail is not = Microsoft.
And I remember players like Sonique or Xing that almost kills WinAmp success history.
And yes, JetAudio didn’t output a well balanced sound.
Everyone’s knows that.
It may sound good to any HiFi addict.
But it’s not appealing to anyone that seeks a quality bass sound.

…and that is why HiFi system never made of to the movie theater.

I’ve download AIMP2 & will give it a try…

I guess I’m still old school & use MusicMatch 7.50 as a Player/Burner…because Yahoo removed the CDDB Pages…I use Winamp to rip with.

Cough I use Windows Media Player. 88)

If you want to see some popular players

Which version 9 mine ;D

I think I use version 11. :stuck_out_tongue:

I found Windows Media Player (especially 11) sports a very good sound range.
There is nothing wrong with it; except that it’s coming out of Microsoft’s hell’s kitchen :smiley: (hint: bloatware)
My uncle use it in his studio with his 6.1 high-end speakers, listening to his rock & jazz collections.
It pleasingly sounds wonderful.

Plus, I kinda like how it’s music database works.
It fills the missing info automatically with 85% (based on my assumption) accuracy.

yelloooooowwwww :slight_smile:
what player to play .rm & .rmvb video on vista x64? :-La
i tried jetaudio & install something called “real_alternative”,but the video looks jagged

Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (MPC-HC)

Media Player Classic Home Cinema x64 bit version v1.2.908.0

Out of the box it should play Realplayer 10.5 compatible files. if you want RealPlayer 11 compatibility continue to use Real Alternative.

thx! downloading :slight_smile:

you really know anything huh? :smiley:

Hey web ganda!

If you are searching and thinking about media players already – it means that all other problems with your new notebook are gone (I hope)

MPC suggested by Quill is indeed a brilliant thing.
(MS WMP- forget it - pathetic disgrace)

If you will ever need additional codecs – my opinion K-Lite Pack(s) (which one – is depending on your needs) is best.

Jose_Lisbon & Tarantela were mentioning VLC. I agree 100%
That is an excellent player for virtually anything without need of codecs installed.
Moreover, it has Portable version as well. Have a look at portables there are some other players too, but VLC is the strongest.
In addition - none of the players I know can do what VLC can regarding streaming.
That is offTopic !ot! here, but just read about it in your spare time. That lil-thing can do wonders (!) you would not imagine… no more details now.

As for not installing such unneeded monsters as Real Player and Quick Time(QT) and having all plug-ins in browsers consider Real Player Alternative and QT Alternative. Install Lite versions.

The main site for all of the above: Codecs.com - Free Downloads and Guides (left side bar)
Portables:
Main - http://portableapps.com/
Video/music/CD/DVD related: Music & Video (best free portable apps) | PortableApps.com

Cheers!

what problem? ;D
nah, i’m still waiting for the XP SP3 CD but the vista OS is ready to go.

i already have Jet audio, installed CCC pack, Klite pack, & Real player alternative.
i can play .rm & .rmvb video (thx to real alternative) but the video’s jagged.

i have MPC now, haven’t tried it but i don’t see .rmvb format on the playable list 88)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Aren’t you a piece of art ;D ?

That’s what I have in MPC checked.

http://a.imagehost.org/t/0367/Real_in_MPC.jpg

Honestly, since RMVB files are mainly used for distributing Asian content like Chinese video/television and so on etc., that was not a “real-real player” issue for me, hehehe!

But I will try to find out or somebody knows that already…
well as you said few posts above - Quill knows everything …huh?! ??? He sure does.

Cheers!

p.s. if RMVB would stand for Rather Microsoft Visual Basic I would write some code for you so you could play stuff standing on your ears ;D

It uses The directshow filters, of you could choose to use ffdshow, which might give you slightly better post processing.

On Vista set Options/Playback to EVR Vista/.Net3 It might also improve things. If you have any issues with audio continue to use Real Alternative.

[attachment deleted by admin]

uuuuuuh, ok…i guess… 88)
;D

No one as yet mentioned what should be the main quality of any Media Player; namely image clarity, sharpness.
And when coming to that, in my assumedly limited experience, Windows MP beats others off.

Do a little experiment. Choose some 60 seconds of whatever file, play it with the MP’s you have installed and then with Windows MP.

Remember, I’m talking about clarity and sharpness of image.

Regards,
Jose.

For the most part the perceived quality (or lack of) audio reproduction via the PC is totally subjective, particularly if listening to lossy (mp3, ogg) audio via ear buds or typical PC speakers.

To some extent, this is also true at the high end, where a lossless (wave, FLAC, APE) bit stream is routed via spdif to an outboard DAC and reproduced via high quality speakers or headphones. The main difference here is the ability of the ‘media player’ to produce high bit rate audio streams.

Is there any Media Player or add-on wich can synchronize subtitles?

Regards,
Jose.

Hi Jose,

Please have a look at the following filters: vobSub and/or vsFilter

Cheers!

Thanks SiberLynx.