Matousec Firewall Test Results - Latest Nov 2007

are they vista compatible yet?

Melih

Online Armor is not.

http://www.tallemu.com/compatibility.html

/LA

edit: by the way, why do they say it’s free when it’s a trail version firewall. Not free for life, just 30 days…

What do you mean its not free for life?

Melih

From their homepage:

Tall Emu offers a complementary 30 day trial of Online Armor (either version). You may only install a trial version of Online Armor once.

Anyone who can clean their registry and disk could install it over and over again after the trail period, but that’s not allowed, according to the quote. After the 30 days it’ll cost a couple of bucks. Unless I’ve missed something here. :wink:

/LA

That’s strange… matousec guys think its free… maybe they don’t know…

Melih

It is free. They are still updating pages, i think :D.
http://www.tallemu.com/online_armor_free.html

But they remove some advanced features. Maybe if cpf 3 adds the features online armor free is stripped of it can take some customers :D.

http://www.tallemu.com/comparisons.html

Oh, sorry, I completely missed that one. Is this the tested version in Matousec? Not as good as the paid Online Armor then?

/LA

Yep, only the free version. But i doubt the full version will offer any additional protection.

Web Shield
Mail Shield
Phishing Filter
Online Banking Mode
Advanced Mode?
Keylogger Detection - Kernel
Keylogger Detection - Other
Transparent Blocking
DNS Spoofing Protection

They are more of complimentary features that more protection.

OK, I’ve seen their comparison now. Some things may be alright to do without, but I don’t know, it depends on what difference they actually make. I think Keylogger Detection - Kernel and Keylogger Detection - Other, seem interesting. Perhaps Advanced Mode too, I don’t like missing that stuff. Or should I say, I don’t like missing stuff I don’t even know what it is!

/LA

Is there a topic/turtorial for better settings ???

Greetz, Red.

Yes.

I think you can go to the miscellaneous settings and un-check the box of “Do not show any alerts for the applications certified by COMODO”. Not sure that this is exactly what is addressed in this thread, but I think so. That way you’ll get more alerts for outbound connections.

Someone may confirm…

/LA

I confirm.

Seriously, that’s what Egemen stated (but in detail, just a general statement) when I asked at the begginng of this year.

Ok, I heard that before ( not from Soya as far as I know :stuck_out_tongue: ), but I don’t feel for that :-\ Anything else ???

Greetz, Red

Yes. Please don’t believe me. Observe this:

OK, so my memory failed me this time (it wasn’t me asking that question and it was last year), but at least I found the quotes.

Thank you m8 :slight_smile:

Greetz, Red.

Since seeing the Matousec firewall tests, I too have been getting itchy feet. But I have been doing my homework and I do have some comments I am somewhat surprised have not already been made about free online armor firewall.

1. There is indeed a free version of online armor but you somewhat have to dig for it on their website. See bottom most link on right side. As others have pointed out they are mainly hawking their paid versions and you can get a 30 day free trial once and only once. With the chief difference I can see between paid and non paid being the pay versions include HIPS and the free version does not.

2. The real gotcha downside of the free version of online armor is that it WILL NOT BE UPGRADED IN FUTURE. And that is from the official online armor forums where they say no future revisions are anticipated or planned. So once the new wears off, the free version of online armor will become increasingly unable to meet new needs or keep up with new programs and vulnerabilities.

3. By online armor’s own admission, their help files are a totally neglected part of their firewall. So if you need help, you must basically post in their forums and wait. Online armor does intend to get better help files, but see the above no upgrades for the free version.

4. I certainly have my gripes about version 2.4 of comodo. But switching firewalls is not a casual thing because everyone basically has to train a firewall to fit their needs. At least for now, I think I will stick with comodo 2.4 and wait for version 3.

Hi Osage!

This was more than enough misinformation.

1. OA Free includes HIPS.
  2. OA Free WILL BE UPGRADED IN FUTURE.
  3. OA Free will get better help files, see above.
  4. I only care about OA Free, like I care about Comodo Free.

Cheers

“Reared on a diet of prejudice and mis-information”
The BeatEn Generation, The The

I must say that OA is isn’t too demanding (so far I’ve not looked at the Help files and I’m a bit lost with FWs) and the alerts are informative and helpful.
The other parts (such as there are in the free version) seem easy to use and configure.

I’m using OA until CFP3 Full is stable - I do wish it were easier to change firewalls!

Peter.

1. It does not. It has hips-like functionality but it does not have a hips. If it did it would be more configurable such as cpf 3 defence+.

2. Yes

3. He was talking about the present so do not stick the unknown future into this.

4. Online armor made a decision to make online armor free but how long can it last? Most online armor free users were previously comodo users so what makes them think it will bring in more money when the user was previously using a freeware. I bet this is more of a marketing act. Get everyone to use it and love it and than make it payware again so everyone will want to continue.
    If you have only used freeware firewalls than truthfully answer this question…Would you buy online armor if it went fully payware or would you crawl to the next best thing :D.

And tell me in what ways is online armor superior to cpf3? What is worse is that most people are comparing a beta to a fully release software.

Yes, the owner of oa is very hardworking to make sure all bugs are gone small companies cannot last without money. As soon as online armor makes it to the warez community it will not last very long.