Large cmddata file

Sorry Dharshu, I’m with CISfan on this one.

Considering how the file size increases from 200mb - 1GB is a short space of time (days), without really doing much, I have little reason to believe that this is working efficiently.

Clearly something is wrong.

Furthermore removing a file in safe mode is not a very user friendly method of maintaining your security software either.

I’d rather the issue be fixed instead of providing a work around.

I have tried uninstalling (including with the removal tool) and reinstalling and after the 2nd day it is back up to 196MB.

Each time the file increases in size, the general performance of Windows actually slows down.

It is the slow down that first alerts me to tell when the file has likely increased in size.

Furthermore overall RAM usage also increases as the file gets larger also.

I think a solutions for this would be highly beneficial, especially to those who require good performance from their computer.

Hmmh, 7036, 96 MB

Currently back at 393MB.

It’s been there for a while. Maybe that’s its happy number.

Back to 196 MB.

Now 196 MB

On one of my machines this file is 329Gb and is causing space problems. I haven’t yet updated to the new version so maybe that will help.

Really 329Gb?
Not 329Mb?

Which version are you using on that machine?

Sorry, I had already started the install of the latest version before I saw this message and now the machine is waiting to reboot. However my other machine is running 12.0.0.6818 and I think they were both on the same version.

I’m slightly intrigued as to why the update mechanism isn’t upgrading to the newer version.

No problem, I hope the file size doesn’t get that big with the new version. :slight_smile:

In case you are worry about the size of this CIS files, you can use the compression option file from Windows if you has a medium PC. I have enable compression files for almost all CIS files (except for some files that the compression can no do anything like the installer files).

By example, in my case cmddata file is 96mb, but in the hdd only takes 13,5mb.Other example, signature file has 494mb but really it takes 468mb.

I think the issue with the CMDDATA file is that it takes up increased memory and requires CIS to crawl through the entire file for each file on the system that is checked, thus slows down the time it takes to allow a file to be read from the HDD, thus causes serious lag spikes in games.

It should be noted with an SSD, at least the one I have, them problem is hardly noticeable, if at all. Of course that does not help standard HDD users.

On my end the file size is still around 100Mb.
The first 35Mb of the file is occupied with some data which can be split into 61% zero data bytes and 39% non-zero data bytes.
The remaining 65Mb of the file contains only 100% zero data bytes, so there is no data or whatsoever stored in this section of the file.
This file is just wasting HDD or SSD space in my opinion.

Greetings and Salutations,

for whatever reason this COMODO cmddata file on my workstation does not stop growing in size. It’s at almost 700 GB now. I don’t think this is intended?! What’s even stored in this file? Is there a way to fix this?

https://i.ibb.co/nnssxYZ/COMODO-20200913.png

Thanks in advance for your attention

• AH

All you can do is re-install as they won’t fix the root cause of this issue.

Ding ding ding, you have won first place for largest cmddata file, congratulations!!!

P.s. Mine is now staying below 100MB. Go figure.

Dubious honor. :smiley: I reinstalled COMODO just as the file had reached 700 GB. File size is back to something more ‘humane’ now.
What exactly is stored in the cmddata file? Individual file info? The machine in question is a video editing and 3D workstation connected to a series of 20 TB NAS, hosting a few million project/video files.

Cheers

• AH

I believe it is some sort of file info yes. Forgot exactly what.

Hello Comodo

I have Comodo Internet Security installed and I’ve noticed that the cmddata file is taking up 387GB space.
The file is stored in C:\ProgramData\Comodo\Cis\imdb

Why is the file taking up so much space, and is it okay if I delete the file?