.json triggering firewall

I have attempted to send the files, but after two tries, both files failed to upload. No warnings given from my computer, only from Comodo program. The error message from Comodo was “Failed(0x80004005) - Unspecified error”.

Hi Curious could you send us the .json file so we can look further and rate it.

Thanks 1807
Best Regards Xcitium Team

I have tried to send in the file, but got the “unspecified error”. Is there another way to send in the file? Thank you.

Hi Curious send us the file here and we will download it and look into it.

Thanks 1807

json files.zip (724 Bytes)

I had to zip the files because the json files were not supported. I tried to send the zip file, but that also failed with an unspecified error.

Hi Curious Thank you for sharing us the json file we will check it and rate it.

Thanks 1807

Thank you for your continued assistance.

1 Like

Hi Curious we have checked and rated the json files as Trusted.

Thanks 1807

Thank you for your assistance and reassurances. Do you know if the json files are trying to access the internet? They don’t seem to be accessing the internet as the functions do not depend on internet access. If they don’t access the internet, why do the files trigger the firewall? Thanks again.

Hi Curious because they were Unknown to us so we rated them as Trusted and now they dont trigger the firewall.

Thanks 1807

Again, thank you for the reassurances. I am still getting triggers from firewall. My settings show automatic updates. I’m wondering if it is because these .json files are uniquely named? Is there a way for me to prevent the firewall from being triggered by these .json files from this specific program?

Hi Curious you could check the box in the firewall Create rules for safe applications.

Thanks 1807

PDF24 doesn’t trigger the firewall per se. The resultant .json files do trigger the firewall. How do I create a rule for the resultant .json files from this specific program? I don’t know if I should allow all .json files to be allowed. Wouldn’t allowing all .json files through be a bit of a security risk if other programs use .json files?

Hi Curious no you can safely allow .json files as we rated them as Trusted.

Thanks 1807

My apologies, but I have now have a few more questions.

1. How do I create a rule that allows .json files? I was hoping to include the folder where these .json files appear, but I am unable to add it by folder.
  2. Did you rate all .json files as Trusted? If so, shouldn’t the program no longer be giving me alerts for this file type (assuming that the program updated)?
  3. Are all .json files safe?

Sorry for these questions, but I am not very familiar with these issues.

1:Go to Firewall and Eneable this
2:Yes we have rated all of them as Trusted
3:Yes

Thanks 1807

Thank you. I followed the instructions and have enabled the settings as described above. I have restarted the computer and the firewall is still be triggered by the json files. Should I reinstall the program or is there another issue at hand?

Thank you for your continued assistance.

My apologies for not understanding. The program is still giving me alerts. I have enabled the setting suggested. I keep feeling like I am missing a step. By enabling the rules for safe applications, I am wondering if I need to then create a rule for all json files (or at least one created by this program). When the program gives me the alerts, I select “allow” and “remember my answer”, but because each file is uniquely named, the uniquely named json file continues to trigger the alert.

PDF24 creates json files temporarily in a specific location. Is there a way to allow all files in a particular folder? That way all json files created specifically by PDF24 will not trigger the alert? Thanks.

See Whitelisting files in a folder - #9 by infosec for a possible solution for dealing with whitelisting of persistantly changing folder and/or file names resulting in continuously repeated alerts.

Thank you. I tried the suggestion, but I couldn’t get the alerts from appearing. I don’t know if I’m doing it wrong (please see the response from that thread).