intruders

I’m beginning to get very ■■■■■■ off as to intruders and hackers invading my privacy and shutting off my firewall and adding exceptions to my protocol such as file and printer sharing. HOW COULD I PREVENT THIS!!! (:AGY) (:AGY)

What security software are you currently running?

Wrong question.

Hey alextan,

I don’t consider it to be a “wrong question”.

The users original post didn’t detail what security software they were running, or if they were running any at all. Secondly, they have posted in a board that does not deal with any specific Comodo software.

As such, anyone reading this was faced with a rather vague question, with no base information to form a response with.

All I was trying to do was gather info so I could ask further questions with some specificty.

If you can answer the question without any further info, feel free to respond to the user. Break a leg. Go for it.

Ewen :slight_smile:

Looking at the next few sentences, I can easily see why you might think so…

The users original post didn't detail what security software they were running, or if they were running any at all. Secondly, they have posted in a board that does not deal with any specific Comodo software.

Software, software, software, software… (:AGL)

Yes, security is about the software you run… If you are having problems it means that you need to use better security software… Never mind the human element it’s not important, it’s always the fault of the software (except if it is comodo of course) lol…

As such, anyone reading this was faced with a rather vague question, with no base information to form a response with.

All I was trying to do was gather info so I could ask further questions with some specificty.

If you can answer the question without any further info, feel free to respond to the user. Break a leg. Go for it.

You misunderstand. Asking questions is great. But you need to ask the right ones…

I can’t see anything wrong with Ewen’s question, I would have posted it myself.

LA

I would have thought finding out the users current environment would have been a good place to start finding out why it is deficient, or indeed, if it is deficient at all. Also, the manner in which the user responded can give clues as to the users experience level, which can alter how subsequent questions are framed.

As I said before, if you can do it without asking any questions, go ahead.

Alternatively, let us know what you consider the “right” questions to be. If your questions are the “right” ones, then I’ll be only to happy to use your method in future.

cheers,

I consider it as a weakness of the software if a hacker can bypass its protection, not in any way related to the one that operates the PC (unless he shutdown the protection himself, or allows everything).

Also, like LA said, I don’t see anything wrong with Ewen’s question.

Cheers,
Ragwing

CP3’s own self protection is brilliant and virtually impossible to shut down and should protect you from intrusions.Other options include the new version of Avast free 4.8 that includes Self Protection which stops it from being shut down. As well, there is Spyware Terminator which should protect your Winsock and protocols and you can use Spybot S&D for immunization from attacks. Your best bet though is to use a hardware firewall or router.

Eric

The last time i checked the user’s “current environment” consists a lot more than just security software… :smiley: . So no, you didn’t ask about the user’s current environment, you asked about security software…

Want to try again?

Hey Luketan, I don’t think this is a very constructive way of helping the thread starter. Let’s see when he/she returns and tells us more about the environment/security software.

LA

how about what coffee cup he has sitting on his desktop? :slight_smile:

I think Ewen’s questions was a valid one to start the analysis with tbh!

Luketan, if you want to help, pls more than happy for you to ask the right questions too.

thanks

Melih

Actually no.

But what would get me really excited is if you assumed ownership of this issue, answered the original poster and gave them the benefit of your undoubted experience.

I’m doing this solely to force the focus back on the actual issue that prompted the post.

Break a leg.

[at] rlong11s,

My apologies this topic has strayed and we’re no closer to an answer for you. luketan will respond soon, no doubt.

I’m not trying to help the threader starter, who seems to have gone MIA before i even posted.

I’m trying to help the people who are trying to help people…

Personally, based on your approach, i don’t know why you guys even borther asking questions. Just ask the guy to slap on your preferred security software (mostly comodo) and all is done right? Oh sure you will customize a bit but essentially that is going to be the answer right?

One’s computering environment = security software right?

Luketan

Even though I do appreciate you taking the time, I am finding it difficult to follow your intention on this topic?

What is your issue?
How will you help the original poster?
Do you think you can do a better job at helping these users than our mods? (if yes, then just do it, if no why are you chastising them?)

I believe you are capable of helping and willing to do so and we do welcome your presence here, but come on dude… giz a break and help us… ok?!

Melih

Forum arguments are not perhaps a security hazard, but maybe that helps us understand the elusive problems in defining “computing environment.” So how do we resolve the debate, or is it a non debate?

Luketan is of course absolutley right that which software used is only one issues, other issues do exist. Not the least of these is user intelligence, knowledge and discipline. (Clicking “allow” carelessly defeats much of the good secruity software available, including CPF.)

Others here are concentrating on how CPF works, natural enough since that is the nature of the forum.

Luketan adds something, and I think is making a good point. But any forum post (like my own) often involves stating the obvious. So I think, to some degree, he is hoist on his own petard when he criticizes other posters for not responding to arguments. Like it or not, internet forums invite argumetns that are skew to one another and are often unproductive.

Thansk to Comodo for a good forum and thanks to Luketan for contributing. Having said all that, I will join in Melih’s plea to cut each other some slack.

Any more off topic posts? I should lock this thread and notify the thread starter, if this continues (of course a moderator would unlock it again whenever he/she returns to continue the discussion). This discussion isn’t in any way helpful for the thread starter, so we’d better stop it now. Luketan, thanks for your intention of helping the helpers, but we obviously don’t need it at this point.

LA

rlong11s is waiting for some assistance.

I have to say that imho, both Ewen and Luketan detain a part of the thruth, and this is interesting indeed: while Ewen’s question (and answer…yes, the question is very answer oriented) is obviously useful, it should come next to another question, again in my opinion, that is never ever being asked in forums, for privacy concerns, which is probably a part of what Luketan was thinking of: “You’re being hacked, spied, whatever, soooooooooooooo: [size=10pt]WHERE DO YOU SURF ???[/size]”

I agree Leopard, that’s also a valid question. There’s nothing wrong in asking it (regarding privacy concerns), it’s a decision of rlong11s to reveal for us.

LA