Install and Un-install Issues and Resolutions

Please go to following link and try our own installer which we have made available as BETA:
https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,650.0.html
So any user who could not install CPF b’caz of InstallShield errors should try this and give us their feedback so that we can improve that if needed and can deploy it for future CPF releases. Thanks

Hi,
This topic is devoted to issues being faced by some users while installing and un-installing CPF.
CPF uses Install Shield as installer and users have reported following two problems so far:

1. During Installation:
    ===============

2. “Error 1608. Unable to create InstallDriver instance”
    This is Install Shield specific error and for this following link is suggested by InstallShield.
    http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108440
    In case trouble shooting provided in above link does not work, there is nothing we can do.

3. During Un-installation:
    =================

4. User doesn’t see any entry of CPF in “Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs” section.

5. When user tries to un-install CPF from “Add/Remove Programs” section, but not able to do so as nothing happens after clicking on 'Change/Remove" link in it.

This is again Install Shield specific problem. For some reasons Install Shield fails to create proper link to CPF’s un-installation.
    Try following method:

a) Try to run setup again and if it detects that CPF is installed, it will prompt
    “Do you want to un-install Comodo Personal Firewall?”, opt for yes and it should un-install CPF.

If above fails do following:
    i)Go to “Start->Run” and type “cmd” in combo box and press OK button. It will open DOS console window.
    ii) Use 'cd" DOS command to change directory to CPF installation directory, which is by default
    ‘[Program Files Folder]\Comodo\Personal Firewall’, so if you have OS installed in ‘C’ drive, it should be
    “C:\Program Files\Comodo\Personal Firewall”.
    iii) type in “fwconfig -uninstall” and press “Enter” key.
    iv) A dialog box will appear, there after just follow it to un-install CPF.

Above method removes Comodo Personal Firewall configuration from system, but still files will be there in installation directory, that you can delete manually. 
     One more thing it does not remove Comodo Launch Pad from system, in case you have CPF as the only installed product and want to un-install "Comodo Launch Pad" also, you will have to delete CLP files manually.
     CLP is installed at following location:
     [Program Files Folder]\Comodo\LaunchPad

If anybody is experiencing any problem with setup not mentioned above, please add your problem and we will try to help as much as we can.
Btw we are working on our own installer and it is in testing, we will be releasing CPF with its own installer soon.

(B) Hi Everyone

I think I may have found a solution for some of you regarding the install 1608 error
here is what I did

I downloaded a great free tool called regseeker http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
I searched through my registry for InstallShield entries and deleted all the ones I could
find (please be carefull :slight_smile: )
I rebooted my comp and ran the install for comodo firewall and antivirus - voila it all went smoothly

I hope this helps you all :slight_smile:

Comodo folks thank for great free products

I trying suggestions from InstallShield page about this error, remove all records from registry about InstallShield, but nothing work. I get this error forever. Please, exist workaround about this error? Thanks for future help. (WCF19)

Hi,
We will try to post a beta version of CPF by this weekend having our own custom installer doing installation of firewall. Depending on trials we will introduce it in our live setup.

Thanks for that umesh. Just wondering will the uninstaller be there as well so I can uninstall and reinstall properly to solve my problem you may remember from the following post:

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,323.0.html

Would you recommend I try and do this or wait until you can be sure beta testing has been successful?

Thanks,
Mike

**EDIT: thanks umesh your instructions to uninstall worked - it was just me not following them correctly :wink: **EDIT.

G’day,

Will the new uninstaller fully remove the application if it was installed using the installshield installer?

Would it be best to remove and then fully install using the new instller, when it arrives?

Ewen :slight_smile:

Hi,
As you know that we have provided latest CPF also packaged through our own installer which is available as Beta, explained in following link:
https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,650.0.html

If you have CPF installed using InstallShield installer, it will ask you to first remove CPF from Add/Remove Programs section. So i am afraid, it won’t uninstall Installshield based CPF installation.

We can do that but it may leave your system unstable from InstallShield point, as entry in Add/Remove may be there and any other issue which may crop up, not sure.

So just to keep it simple and move forward we didn’t want to messup with uninstallation of CPF installed using InstallShield.

I had major problem’s with installsheild not being able to install COMODO firewall. (error 1603 and invalid ISScript !) 30 second’s with your own installer job done (no thank’s to installsheild…) top job.

I reinstalled the two separate partitions - saved via Acronis TrueImage - on which I have: C: my OS (XP), D: my apps (CPF included).
It all worked fine, however as they dated from August I had a previous beta version of CPF so I was asked to uninstall it when I tried to install the latest version on the site. I did this successfully.
Then during the install of the updated version we got up to the point where I selected automatic settings - I am no power user :slight_smile: - and I got the following message:
“Problem with deleting with Shortcuts. Please kindly delete the Shortcuts manually”
See the image below for details.
I then tried a new install, and I was warned that there was a previous version - which was the previous failed install. Cleaned the related registry keys with a registry manager, tried a new install and I got the green light to proceed, but the same exact problem happened.
Went thru the same iterations with two other fresh downloads of the CPF installer, to no avail. Moral I cannot install CPF.
I posted this somewhere else
https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,3519.0.html
and was addressed here, I hope you can be of help.
Thanks
flash

[attachment deleted by admin]

I had exactly the same issue with “Problem with deleting with Shortcuts. Please kindly delete the Shortcuts manually” message.
At first attempt I tried to install into custom folder named "C:\I-Net\Tools" and selected “power user” settings in the installation wizard. It failed to install, giving me the message above. But after another try I’ve succeeded to install it with default settings.

I have tried ALL of the troubleshooting steps below…fwconfig -uninstall brings up a message “Do you want to Uninstall Comodo?” Yes…Nothing-absolutely nothing happens, that yes/no box is the last I see of Comodo.
In Add/Remove Programs, something similar happens, I click to remove it, and when I do it loads a progress bar, and then, nothing. Nothing happens, my computer doesn’t freeze, just nothing happens.
I have tried the registry entry deletion, and the registry entries I THINK are gone, but Comodo still shows up in Add/Remove, and still doesn’t work and I downloaded a new Comodo setup, but it says the old Comodo is still installed.
(:AGY) (:AGY) (:AGY) (:AGY) (:AGY) (:AGY) (:AGY)
Here’s the stuff I’ve tried…

Please go to following link and try our own installer which we have made available as BETA: https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,650.0.html So any user who could not install CPF b'caz of InstallShield errors should try this and give us their feedback so that we can improve that if needed and can deploy it for future CPF releases. Thanks This is Install Shield specific error and for this following link is suggested by InstallShield. http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108440 In case trouble shooting provided in above link does not work, there is nothing we can do.
  1. During Un-installation:
    =================

2. When user tries to un-install CPF from “Add/Remove Programs” section, but not able to do so as nothing happens after clicking on 'Change/Remove" link in it.

This is again Install Shield specific problem. For some reasons Install Shield fails to create proper link to CPF’s un-installation.
    Try following method:

a) Try to run setup again and if it detects that CPF is installed, it will prompt
    “Do you want to un-install Comodo Personal Firewall?”, opt for yes and it should un-install CPF.

If above fails do following:
    i)Go to “Start->Run” and type “cmd” in combo box and press OK button. It will open DOS console window.
    ii) Use 'cd" DOS command to change directory to CPF installation directory, which is by default
    ‘[Program Files Folder]\Comodo\Personal Firewall’, so if you have OS installed in ‘C’ drive, it should be
    “C:\Program Files\Comodo\Personal Firewall”.
    iii) type in “fwconfig -uninstall” and press “Enter” key.
    iv) A dialog box will appear, there after just follow it to un-install CPF.

Above method removes Comodo Personal Firewall configuration from system, but still files will be there in installation directory, that you can delete manually.
    One more thing it does not remove Comodo Launch Pad from system, in case you have CPF as the only installed product and want to un-install “Comodo Launch Pad” also, you will have to delete CLP files manually.
    CLP is installed at following location:
    [Program Files Folder]\Comodo\LaunchPad

If anybody is experiencing any problem with setup not mentioned above, please add your problem and we will try to help as much as we can.
Btw we are working on our own installer and it is in testing, we will be releasing CPF with its own installer soon.

Hi there.

New user, just shifted over from Kerio PF (or is it Sunbelt now?)

I had the same problem as djet and others with the message: “Problem with deleting with Shortcuts. Please kindly delete the Shortcuts manually.” popping up while trying to install.

The beta’s custom installer works but I’ll try reinstalling the release version with the default installer settings and see if that works on my system too. They can all be changed later on anyway can’t they?

[edit] No luck with that approach for me. I’ll have to wait for the custom installer on the release version. Is there an ETA on that btw? ;D

My problem is similar, but I cannot find any instance of Comodo after uninstalling. Searching for “Comodo” brings up nothing, even in hidden files. My Services folder shows Comodo (the only place I can find it anywhere) as stopped, and when you try to start it, it cannot find the file specified. Still, when I try to install Comodo new, I get the error you mentioned with the non-responsive Yes and No buttons. Add and Remove Programs does not have a Comodo reference. I’m baffled.

Vince

Vince (and others),

I highly recommend using a registry cleaner (like RegSeeker) to clean out the registry of left-over entries, after uninstalling software (especially security software such as a firewall).

Hope that will help you,

LM

Thank you, Little Mac, I’ll try that and see what happens.
Vince

Having Comodo on my pc i tried to use it on my old satellite with W98 I use travelling with gprs connection.
Unfortunately I cannot install Comodo because it gives me:

Microsof Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error
Program:C\windows\desktop\cfp_setup…exe
This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way
Please contact the application support team for more information

And here I am
What is the problem???
And how can solve it ?

Comodo’s Firewall and AntiVirus are not compatible with Windows 98. They are compatible with Windows 2000 and XP. Version3 of the firewall will be vista compatible. The operating system requirements are fairly clearly laid out on the Comodo web site.

Ewen :slight_smile:

I have read all the numerous posts on this forum regarding uninstalling Comodo Firewall and have tried them. None of them work. The last one: ‘Comodo Uninstall.zip’ buggers my PC - upon restart I log on and then nothing - black screen and a mouse pointer. I can bring up Task Manager but nothing on it works!
Luckily, I created a restore point before installing Comodo, otherwise I would have ended up with a non-working PC!!! Don’t you guys test for such basic things before releasing this ‘Malware’ on an unsuspecting public?
I notice that the forum posts regarding this problem go back quite a way and yet as far as I can see, no fix has been forthcoming. This is so unprofessional that I feel the public should be warned about the potential risks to their PCs before ever going near this software.
I am becoming so frustrated with this now and have spent so much time attempting to solve it.
HELP!!!

BenHardy,

I’m sorry you’ve had such trouble with uninstalling Comodo Firewall. If you are at a point where it is currently installed, you may try the following process to uninstall it:

1. Disconnect your computer from the internet, and disable/turn off all Active security software such as Antivirus, Antispyware, HIPS.
  2. Open the firewall application
    2a. On the Summary page, change Security Level to “Allow All”
    2b. Go to Security/Advanced/Miscellaneous, and uncheck the box “Protect Own Registry Keys” then OK.
  3. Right-click the systray icon, and select “Exit.” Follow the prompts to close the application interface (Note: this does not stop the core of the firewall)
  4. Go to Start/Run, type in “msconfig” and go to the Startup tab
    4a. Uncheck the box next to the Comodo Firewall/CPF.exe entry; Apply, and close.
    4b. Don’t reboot yet.
  5. Go to Start/Run, type in “services.msc”
    5a. Find the entry for “Comodo Application Agent”
    5b. Double-click this entry to open the Properties window and change the Startup Type to “Disabled.” Apply. OK.
    5c. Reboot your computer
  6. Go to Start/All Programs, scroll to Comodo/Firewall and select “Uninstall;” follow the prompts to uninstall the firewall. Reboot computer when finished.
  7. Go to Start/Run, type in “devmgmt.msc”
    7a. Go to View/Show Hidden Devices; scroll to Non-PlugNPlay Drivers
    7b. Make sure there are no entries for Comodo Application Engine and Comodo Network Engine. If they are not there, continue to step 8
    7b1. If there are, right-click and select “Disable” for each one, and Reboot your computer.
    7b2. You will then repeat step 7, 7a, 7b, and this time right-click and select “Uninstall” for each one, and Reboot your computer.
  8. Clean the registry of any miscellaneous, leftover keys pertaining to Comodo Firewall. You can do this by either of the following:
    8a. Go to Start/Run, type “regedit”
    8a1. Go to Edit/Find and type in “Comodo”
    8a2. Delete those entries (this presumes that you only have their firewall installed)
    8b. Use a free utility like RegSeeker, ccleaner, etc to clean out the registry.
    Note: If you are not comfortable working in the “guts” of Windows, I recommend 8b over 8a. In either case, be sure to make backups (in regedit this is the “Export” feature; in any utility software like RegSeeker, there should be an option box to create a backup prior to deletion).
  9. Reboot your computer. The Comodo Firewall should be gone.

Hope that helps,

LM

Hi
Thanks for your rapid reply and clear instructions.
Unfortunately they have not solved the problem!
When we get to 5c: ‘Reboot your computer’ I get as far as logging on and then it freezes at Desktop - the background image is showing plus the mouse pointer but nothing else - no Task Bar, no nothing.
I can bring up Task Manager but no buttons work.

I then rebooted into Safe Mode and followed your procedures again. At each Reboot (6, 7b1, 9) Windows got stuck, as at 5c.

I then attempted to follow all procedures and rebooted into Safe Mode each time until the end - still no luck.

Here are the Registry entries I found and deleted:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg\COMODO Firewall Pro
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg\Comodo Launch Pad Tray
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg\Comodo Personal Firewall
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\CmdAgent
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\CmdMon
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\Inspect
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\CmdAgent
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\CmdMon
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\Inspect

I also found the following Registry entries:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CMDAGENT\0000
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CMDMON\0000
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\Root\LEGACY_INSPECT\0000
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CMDAGENT\0000
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CMDMON\0000
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Enum\Root\LEGACY_INSPECT\0000

but was unable to delete them due to the Windows message: ‘Error while deleting key’

Thank Gates I created a Restore Point before attempting to uninstall Comodo Firewall otherwise my computer would now be non-operational.

Please advise

Ben