Incorrect number of detected files

When performing on-demand scan, CIS sometimes does not show the correct number of detected files.

1. Diagnostics report as attachment to your post

2. The full product and its version
    CIS 7.0.308911.4080 BETA

3. Your Operating System
    Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 32-bit running on VMware Player 6.0.1

4. List all the configuration changes you did.
    Default IS with Auto-sandbox set to Fully Virtualized

5. Did you install over a previous version without uninstalling first, or import a previous configuration file?
    No

6. Other Security, Sandboxing or Utility Software Installed
    MBAM Free, CCleaner

7. Step by step description to reproduce the issue
    a. Start a scan of a folder with a large number of malware in it.
    b. Then, before it finishes, stop the scan after it has found many malware.
    c. Then, clean the detected malware and exit the scan.
    d. Then right-click on the same folder and begin a new scan.
    e. The new scan will begin from 0 but the total number of detected files in these two scans is much greater that it should be.

8. What actually happened when you carried out these steps
    CIS is showing much greater number of detected files than is actually in the list.
    In this example, scanned folder has 382 samples.
    The number of currently detected files is 134 but the number of files in the list is around 40.
    Few on-demand scans together showed more files detected than folder originally had (their sum was greater than 382).

9. What you expected to see or happen when you carried out these steps, and why (if not obvious)
    The number of detected files should be equal to the number of files shown in the list.

[attachment deleted by admin]

How often does it not show the correct number of detected files? You said that it sometimes does not, but can you be more specific about this? I mean, if you clean some and continue, will it always eventually show you the wrong number?

Thanks.

Only when I stop the scan before it finishes and make another scan.
Did it few times in a row and got that result.

So do you mean that in order to reproduce this the devs should start a scan of a folder with a large number of malware in it.
Then, before it finishes, they should stop the scan after it has found many malware.
Then, they should exit that scan without removing the malware and start a new scan.
Does this new scan then display the incorrect number of detected files?

Is this what you have done, or have I misunderstood what you have done.

“So do you mean that in order to reproduce this the devs should start a scan of a folder with a large number of malware in it.
Then, before it finishes, they should stop the scan after it has found many malware.
Then, they should exit that scan without removing the malware and start a new scan.”
They should clean detected files.

“Does this new scan then display the incorrect number of detected files?”
Yes.

I’m still trying to get this nailed down exactly, so that the devs can easily replicate this. Please let me know how the following steps sound to you.

The steps to reproduce are as follows:

1. Start a scan of a folder with a large number of malware in it.
  2. Then, before it finishes, stop the scan after it has found many malware.
  3. Then, clean the detected malware and exit the scan.
  4. Then right-click on the same folder and begin a new scan.
  5. This new scan will begin counting from the same number of malware which was detected from the previous scan.

Yes.

5. This new scan will begin counting from the same number of malware which was detected from the previous scan.
[b]No.[/b] It will begin from 0 but the total number of detected files in these two scans is much greater that it should be. Also, check my screenshot. There are 40 files in the list and the counter says 134. :o No way....even if the multiple detected files were packed inside one, which are not.....

Okay, I added the steps for reproduction to the first post. Please look over this and let me know if everything looks right.

Also, if the steps given in the first post are followed, does this issue now reproduce every time?

Thanks.

Thanks, Chiron!

I am busy today and I have not tried it again.

No problem. Once you have time please try this and let me know if it reproduces again. After that I can submit this to the devs.

Thanks.

Will do that tomorrow…

Thank you.

I tried to scan again today but I could not reproduce it.
Will continue to monitor it…in the meanwhile, you can ignore this “issue”.
If it happens again, I will let you know.

No problem. If you are able to replicate this let me know.

Thanks.

For the time being I will move this to the Non-Format board, as the issue does not seem to still be occurring. If the issue occurs again please let me know which steps can be followed in order to reproduce it.

Thanks.

CIS version 7.0.313494.4115 Final has just been released. Therefore, if the issue still occurs please create a new bug report for it in this section of the forum. The required format is provided in this post. Just copy and paste the code. Then replace the question marks with your responses.

I’m sorry, but as the most recent release is no longer in Beta the Beta bug reporting format can no longer be used. I will therefore move this report to Resolved. If the issue still occurs please do create a new bug report.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.