Incompatibility with Windowsblinds causes explorer.exe crash [M334] [DUMP] [v6]

A. THE BUG/ISSUE

[ol]- Can U reproduce the problem & if so how reliably?:
If I install windowsblinds and load a custom theme as it goes to apply it the process explorer.exe enter a crash/restart/crash loop.

• If U can, exact steps to reproduce. If not, exactly what U did & what happened:
    Install windowsblinds/comodo and then try to apply a custome theme, I was using he CTU 2008 theme from here: WindowBlinds - CTU 2008 (FREE DOWNLOAD) | WinCustomize.com
  • If a software compatibility problem have U tried the conflict FAQ?:No, but I doubt it applies here since no one else has reported this(I checked)
  • Any software except CIS/OS involved? If so - name, & exact version: Comodo loads fine when windowsblinds is removed.
  • Any other information, eg your guess at the cause, how U tried to fix it etc:
    Guess as to cause:
    Incompatibility?

What i’ve tried:
Reinstalling both comodo and windowsblinds making sure I have the latest version.

At a loss with what to try now. I cannot run comodo till this is resolved.

What happens in detail:
If I install windowsblinds and load a custom theme as it goes to apply it the process explorer.exe enter a crash/restart/crash loop.

If you already have windowsblinds installed and install comodo on top it will install and then reboot and you get locked out of your user account!

I had to go into the administrator account (no windowsblinds applied there) and remove comodo to log back into my own account. This could be a problem for users who use comodo/windowsblinds on there main admin account since comodo/windowsblinds can’t be removed even in safe mode due to needing the windows installer.

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 6.1.7601.17567, time stamp: 0x4d672ee4
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x0000000076eb1000
Faulting process id: 0x10e0
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce321023a3cca9
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 62a15621-9e03-11e2-966a-50e549bd8cd1

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: explorer.exe
P2: 6.1.7601.17567
P3: 4d672ee4
P4: StackHash_2e93
P5: 0.0.0.0
P6: 00000000
P7: c0000005
P8: 0000000076eb1000
P9:
P10:

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
[Attached to post]

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 61b1e990-9e03-11e2-966a-50e549bd8cd1
Report Status: 0
[/ol]

B. YOUR SETUP

[ol]- Exact CIS version & configuration: 6.0.264710.2708 (CIS Complete 2013)

• Modules enabled & level. D+/HIPS, Autosandbox/BBlocker, Firewall, & AV: Default

• Have U made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.): No

• Have U updated (without uninstall) from a CIS 5?: No/clean install
    [li]if so, have U tried a a clean reinstall - if not please do?: -
    [/li]- Have U imported a config from a previous version of CIS: No
    [li]if so, have U tried a standard config - if not please do:-
    [/li]- OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, V.Machine used: 7 x64 SP1, UAC off, Not a VM.

• Other security/s’box software a) currently installed b) installed since OS: None. Just comodo.

• Always attach - Diagnostics file, Watch Activity process list, dump if freeze/crash. (If complex - CIS logs & config, screenshots, video, zipped program - not m’ware: Only file I attached was that mentioned in the error log. There is no non-standard setup everything is on default. If you need comodo ones you will have to explain how i get to them since I don’t know where they would be.
    [/ol]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thank you very much for your bug report in standard format. We very much appreciate the effort you have made to document this bug.

We are sorry to trouble you further but there are some items of information missing or unclear in your post:

B.7 Other security/s’box software a) currently installed b) installed since OS: Could you fill in b) please?
B.6 OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, V.Machine used:Can I assume you are not using a VM to test this?
A.3 If a software compatibility problem have U tried the conflict FAQ?: Please fill this in
A.8 Always attach - Diagnostics file, Watch Activity process list, dump if freeze/crash. (If complex - CIS logs & config, screenshots, video, zipped program - not m’ware. Please append your watch activity process list and your diagnostics file, plus also the explorer.exe crash dump

The reasons we need these items of information, though they may not seem directly relevant to the issue are explained here.

We would be very grateful if you would add these items of information so we can forward this post to the format verified board, where it is more likely to get fixed. You can find assistance using red links in the Format and here. If you need further help please ask a mod. If you do not add the information after a week we will forward this post to the non-format board. If this happens we will tell you how to rectify this if you wish to.

In the current process we will normally leave it up to you whether you want to make a report which includes all necessary information or not. We may remind you if we think a bug of particular importance.

Many thanks again

Mouse

Mouse1, I edited the main post, FYI most of those extra questions were already replied to at the bottom of my main post. If you need more detail I will see what I can do.

Hi prmadmax

Sorry to trouble you but we really do need the information we ask for if you want this fixed unfortunately

Is the answer to 7(b) ‘Only Comodo’?

Could you try the red links in the format post (as referred to above) for help in collecting dump files, and the compatibility FAQ, diagnostics etc.

Just FYI, a WER file is not the same as a dump file.

You may find you need more help with the explorer dump, depending on the setup of your machine. If so please do come back to me, and I will do my best.

Best wishes

Mouse

Hi Mouse, You can call me Max from now on! :slight_smile:

Yes, to the quoted question.

And I will try and get the dump file now, I’ve run the .reg file and will try getting the dump file you are after.

Dump files attached.

Dump file 2 attached

Well done Max!

Now all we need is the ‘Watch Activity Process’ list’ (Advanced tasks), preferably when windowblinds is running, and your diagnostics report (? at top right of main GUI).

Then I’ll forward

Many thanks again

Mouse

Hi Mouse1,

Attached is what you wanted.

I took screenshots and the csv of the process list so you should have lots info there. :slight_smile:

Thanks plenty of info for replication now so I’ll transfer to format verified.

As the problem may take a while to resolve I would try the conflict FAQ to see if you can workaround the problem. (Follow red link in format post). If so please do report it in this trace.

Best wishes

Mouse

Thank you very much for your report in standard format, with all information supplied. The care you have taken is much appreciated by Comodo, and will increase the likelihood that this bug can be fixed.

Developers may or may or may not communicate with you in the forum or by PM/IM, depending on time availability and need. Because you have supplied complete information they may be able to replicate and fix the bug without doing so.

Many thanks again

Mouse

Just wanted to drop a note here: The aero type themes that windowblinds can apply seem to not be afected by the bug. It only seems to be custom themes (non-aero) ones.

The devs if they want to test windowblinds may need to contact Stardock/Wincustomize to get a serial for testing purposes.
I have made a topic on stardock’s forum stating that they may need to provide Comodo with a serial here: Comodo & Windowblinds » Forum Post by prmadmax

That’s very helpful of you, thank you

Mouse

A. Explorer Appcrash - Summary - Give a clear summary in the topic subject, NOT here.

• Can U reproduce the problem & if so how reliably?: YES
  • If U can, exact steps to reproduce. If not, exactly what U did & what happened:
    Install comodo firewall V6.x
    install windowblinds V7.x
    Launch windowblinds
    → explorer appcrash and any opened app then will crash too
  • If not obvious, what U expected to happen: no crash
  • If a software compatibility problem have U tried the conflict FAQ?:
  • Any software except CIS/OS involved? If so - name, & exact version:
  • Any other information, eg your guess at the cause, how U tried to fix it etc:
  • support ticket created at stardock
  • required information transmitted
    ==> flagged issue at stardock, uninstall of comodo firewall V6 option.
    ==> After uninstall, no more issue at all.
  • Always attach - Diagnostics file, Watch Activity process list, dump if freeze/crash. (If complex - CIS logs & config, screenshots, video, zipped program - not m’ware)

B. YOUR SETUP (Likely the same for each issue, so you can copy forward)

• Exact CIS version & configuration: cfw_installer V6.0.260739.2674 (updated by the update manager ??)
  • Modules enabled & level. D+/HIPS, Autosandbox/BBlocker, Firewall, & AV: Firewall, D+
  • Have U made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.):
  • use of OpenDNS servers
  • no trust connect
  • cloud disabled
  • Have U updated (without uninstall) from a CIS 5?: no
    [list type=lower-alpha][li]if so, have U tried a a clean reinstall - if not please do?: it was a clean install upon a fresh windows 7 install
    [/li]- Have U imported a config from a previous version of CIS: no
    [li]if so, have U tried a standard config - if not please do: (too late)
    [/li]- OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, V.Machine used: Windows 7 ultimate X64 SP1 + all updates, no UAC, account with admin rights, physical machine.
  • Other security/s’box software a) currently installed b) installed since OS: a= eset nod32 AV V6.0.308, sandboxie V3.76 x64 b=
    [/list]

This issue appears to me to be the same as one already on file. Accordingly, I will merge them, if that’s OK. You can locate the merged report by following the link in the email notification.

If you don’t agree please PM any active mod with your reasons and, if appropriate, they will unmerge the issue.

Many thanks

Mouse

It’s okay for me.
Thank you for your time !

Any updates on this, it has been almost a month since anything was last said and the bug is annoying as hell. Uninstalled Comodo for now, and will not continue subscription if not intended on being fixed.

Sorry you are still having this problem.

I’m afraid I don’t work for Comodo, and so cannot confirm any timescales

Can anyone confirm if it is present in 2813?

Checking now will have a reply shortly.

Also be aware I have moved to windows 8 now.

Windowsblinds is not on 8 yet :frowning: I only got it Thursday. Will reply to the post when they release a version for windows 8.
If someone else with windows 7 could confirm that would be helpful.

@Mouse1 would it be a good enough test if I used a windows 7 virtual machine in vMware?