IceDragon end of life?

I sure wish Comodo would continue to support and develop IceDragon, and keep it somewhat current with Firefox. FF is up to v77, IceDragon is stuck at v65. At least one banking/credit card site I use (chase.com) won’t let me log in with CID 65 because it is too old. Isn’t secure enough, so they say.

I know FF itself has dwindling market share. It’s still a great browser though, which means CID would remain a great browser if it could be kept up-to-date.

Richard

I agree. Unfortunately, it appears that Comodo has it’s own austerity program and has had to make hard decisions on what to keep and what to cut. They are trying to funnel people through a paid web portal for some of their products now, and hopefully revenue will be up enough to properly support their products and bring back Ice Dragon, which IMO, is a phenomenal idea of a product. FF, arguably the best browser, along with extra privacy and security from Comodo.

It gets worse…Firefox is now at version 85. :frowning:

What sort of issues are we risking by still using it?

(I was about to get excited when I noticed a thread for a Beta…then I noticed the date posted: more than a year old…)

Wow…so that’s it? RIP IceDragon…

I’m not sure what to think about Comodo still providing a download link to the product if it is out of date.

What browsers have you switched to?

So far there are the options in the market:

• Firefox
  • Brave
  • Opera
  • Opera GX
  • Vivaldi

If IceDragon is out of date ---- then does that mean that Dragon (based on Chromium) is also a security risk?

comodo icedragon 65.xxx is incompatible with some sites :-\

:THNK

Comodo, Just put a fork in it already. It’s done.

I find it very irresponsible to have the download link up and active and praising the qualities of IceDragon when it hasn’t been touched in a very long time. And this from a firm that makes security products. I suppose they have forgotten about that too. Obviously a project of little importance now and no money maker but this behavior still reflects back on Comodo. I mean how long does it take to say they are officially killing it. Only the independent minds search for something other than Google Chrome. And not that many of those left it would seem.

WonderNotEnvy, As far as other browsers, not much real choice. Waterfox was bought out so now just another like the rest and could care less about listening to their users. SlimBrowser still rolls on but updates are pretty slow. Their forum is a joke, I guess they forgot about it. Real professional of them. LibreWolf for Windows is a possibility but still very new. I use Firefox Developer edition now. But wish there were better more independent alternatives. RIP IceDragon.

Try BRAVE. It’s run by the same guy who started Firefox and later got sent packing.

But sadly Brave isn’t Firefox based and it can’t use Firefox extensions.

You could use those settings to increase privacy and enhanced security in Firefox.

This is true. I suppose it depends on your needs. I mainly want to avoid adds, trackers and fingerprinting. I think Brave does as well or better than FF for my needs. Mozilla annoyed me first when they took away about:config for Android FF. They said it was still available in the FF Nightly builds, but for some reason when I tested fingerprinting at https://coveryourtracks.eff.org/, the site said I wasn’t really anonymous, while Brave was. FF also seems to be slower. I’d give it a test, maybe you don’t need the extensions. Also Brave can use Chrome extensions.

There is also Ghostery Dawn.
https://www.ghostery.com/products/ghostery-dawn/

Does it work to protect Firefox against Fingerprinting?
If so, how to set up user.js to do that?

Same for me, avoiding adds, trackers and firngerprinting but the latter fails unfortunately in all Firefox versions that I’ve tried no matter what options/settings I enable/disable in Firefox (maybe I haven’t found the right switch yet).
If I could have fingerprinting protection in Firefox that would be great (but how?).
I also use other extensions in Firefox so switching to Brave is no option for me.

some useful links:

https://12bytes.org/articles/tech/firefox/firefoxgecko-configuration-guide-for-privacy-and-performance-buffs/comment-page-10/

I tried Canvas Defender and about:config tweaks in FF but it’s not enough (or perhaps too much). Part of the problem with FF is when you tweak all those settings for your “security”, you actually become more unique and identifiable. I don’t add anything to Brave and just tweak it’s core features which on the surface at least, seem to provide what I’m looking for. I remember when people thought google was cool and now look at them. Same with FF; I mean, regardless of what they say, they are a for-profit corporation and beholden to the mighty investors. Of course none of them can be fully trusted, but our options are limited in that regard.

On “cover your tracks” with Brave:
[i]Our tests indicate that you have strong protection against Web tracking, though your software isn’t checking for Do Not Track policies.
IS YOUR BROWSER:
Blocking tracking ads? Yes
Blocking invisible trackers? Yes
Protecting you from fingerprinting? ◕ your browser has a randomized fingerprint

with FF:
Our tests indicate that you have strong protection against Web tracking.
Is your browser:
Protecting you from fingerprinting? Your browser has a unique fingerprint[/i]

I understand what you’re saying. Many browser companies profit or non-profit (cough) claim that they respect ones privacy and do not sell ones personal and/or browsing data, yeah yeah. It’s more likely a good commercial slogan if you ask me. Indeed we don’t have many options to fully protect our data.

Regarding CoverYourTracks I got a somewhat better FF result:

Our tests indicate that you have you have strong protection against Web tracking, though your software isn’t checking for Do Not Track policies.
Is your browser:
Protecting you from fingerprinting? No

Despite FF isn’t fully protected against fingerprinting it doesn’t have a unique fingerprint, not so bad result.

My ‘best’ :slight_smile: result using arkenfox settings, uBlock origin and CanvasBlocker is:
Our tests indicate that you have strong protection against Web tracking.
Is your browser:
Protecting you from fingerprinting? Partial protection

Can you tell which arkenfox settings (index numbers) you have enabled/disabled for this Partial protection to work?
Thanks.

I added the whole user.js file but you could try and experiment by adding only the 4500 section (4500: RFP (RESIST FINGERPRINTING)). The idea of whole user.js is in increasing privacy and security.
Make a backup of your FF profile and add the user.js in your FF profile directory. The more exact instructions were in links I added earlier.