IceDragon end of life?

I’ve added the whole user.js to the FF profile directory but it gave me no better protection against fingerprinting (tested on old FF version though). Still the same level of fingerprinting protection as I already have. (FF profile backup restored to undo the changes.)

My ‘best’ result was achived by using: arkenfox settings, uBlock origin and CanvasBlocker.

I use them too. :slight_smile:

I’ve read the 4500 section, a lot of those anti fingerprinting settings require recent or even newest FF version. For older FF versions user.js provides less or no fingerprinting protection.

Why does Mozilla say that they have implemented FingerPrinting protection since FF version 72 (or even in earlier versions) while it’s not working out-of-the-box?

Ok, I’ve installed the latest FF version 92.0.1 along with all the extensions that I normally use.
Here’s coveryourtracks result:

Blocking tracking ads? Yes
Blocking invisible trackers? Yes
Protecting you from fingerprinting? Partial protection

Note: I didn’t install the arkenfox user.js settings. It seems that the arkenfox settings don’t provide extra protection against fingerprinting then the protection that already can be obtained using the standard FF privacy settings.

So, the latest FF version 92.0.1 (or even some versions before that which I didn’t check) have some build-in measures against fingerprinting.

So all I did was disable Canvas Defender and install CanvasBlocker default settings to get these results:
Protecting you from fingerprinting? Partial protection

Moving from Your browser has a unique fingerprint to partial protection with just the one change.

With Brave:
Your browser fingerprint has been randomized among the 218,378 tested in the past 45 days. Although sophisticated adversaries may still able to track you to some extent, randomization provides a very strong protection against tracking companies trying to fingerprint your browser.

Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys 16.75 bits of identifying information.

With FF:
Within our dataset of several hundred thousand visitors tested in the past 45 days, only one in 8546.38 browsers have the same fingerprint as yours.

Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys 13.05 bits of identifying information.

May I ask which FF version you use?

Maybe the latest FF 92.0.1 still doesn’t do any fingerprint protection but the extensions do that I use…

Tested today with v92.0.1.

Also from Canvasblocker:

What if Page X claims my fingerprint is unique?
Having a unique fingerprint is fine as long as it changes. With the default settings of CanvasBlocker the fingerprint should change all the time. But also with other settings (e.g. the stealth preset) that do not change the fingerprint all the time the fingerprint should be unique per domain and therefore prevent tracking. To test this you can check the different fingerprints on canvasblocker.kkapsner.de and canvasblocker2.kkapsner.de.

PS- I’ve also made a lot of about:config mods, too many to remember.

I hardly doubt that whatever setting is changed in FF it will never reach the result “your browser has a randomized fingerprint” like Brave.
Even adding the arkenfox settings (which alters the about:config settings) won’t help much in this regard.

How do trackers work?

Using a fingerprint resistant browser

I’ve just installed another uBO version to Firefox and now Google is totally confused about my “location” - lol.
What a little change in Fingerprint can do. :-TU

Some sites for testing ;):

Thanks, I came across that same page for testing too and was about to post the link.

I don’t follow ???

Sorry, I meant to say “… newer uBO version …”.
I was still using an older version of uBO.

You must mean uBlock Origin then. I have it set to auto update so no revelation for me. Are you using default settings or custom?

Got a strange result… :o FF (out of box) + arkenfox settings + NoScripts(out of box) =
Our tests indicate that you have you have strong protection against Web tracking, though your software isn’t checking for Do Not Track policies.
Is your browser:
Protecting you from fingerprinting? Yes

Your Results
Within our dataset of several hundred thousand visitors tested in the past 45 days, only one in 138.51 browsers have the same fingerprint as yours.
Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys 7.11 bits of identifying information.

Looks like this test (https://coveryourtracks.eff.org) creators wanna make everybody using NoScript

Correct, with uBO I mean uBlock Origin.

For the Fingerprint experiments I’ve used several Firefox versions from old to the latest to see how well they performed against fingerprinting.
In one of the older Firefox versions (with the older uBO version) I had uBO set to default settings with a few tweaks.
After updating uBO to the latest version I did reset the uBO settings to default settings and made no tweaks.
After this uBO update I noticed that Google (Google Search) got confused about my “location” which was very surprising.

Which version of FF and NoScript did you use?

And in which order did you add NoScript and arkenfox to Firefox?
First NoScript and then applied the atkenfox settings or reverse?

Hi,

Does this site https://meteofrance.com/ work with Noscript?