I am thinking in change Panda solutions for Comodo Solutions. Do you recommend?

I’m also Spanish. I had the misfortune of trying Panda on a very old system, and I can also vouch that the amount of resources demanded by it is completely insane. Even after uninstalling I noticed drag. I haven’t heard that their detection rates be particularly good either.

CAVS is still in beta. A lot of people here including me will recommend Avira AntiVir. Other nice free alternatives are AVG and Avast; not sure but I’ve heard about some conflicts between CFP3 and Avast.

Hello! :slight_smile:

I will try Avira, despite of the diferences between the paid version and the free version. It seems that the free version has less resources than the paid version.

Someone knows if the free version has the “resident shield”, or something similar (scan in realtime)?

Thank you all for all your help!

Regards.

Hi,

Yes the free version has resident protection. I’m afraid most free products are reduced versions of the paid ones, certainly so with AVG and many others, that’s what makes Comodo so special about giving fully featured products for free.

However one of the things that I like best about Avira, besides its top notch detection rates, is that the free antivirus gives you as good protection as the paid one. The only difference for an antivirus is the email scanner but those are not really useful. When you pay for Avira you get antispyware protection, but there are better products for free including BOClean of course. You also get Avira’s firewall but again CFP is better for free. If what you want antivirus protection, the free version of Avira is as good as the paid one.

Hello Japo,

Thank you for your help.

I have installed Avira in my machine a few momments ago, and it seems to be very nice. :slight_smile:

Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Japo,
i tried Panda 2007, never had a hassle w it xcept da fact dat its bloated. and even its bloated, its stil lite 4 me. Actually usually i hear ppl say Panda is lite.
Panda’s basic protection, includin AV, AS n FW, is veri quiet n hence, especially suitable 4 novice. of course understandably, its much less robust dan CPF.

Hi aladinonl,

Really. PIS 2007 is lite, but I consider the Panda Solutions very poor, now. In the last days the solution started to “find” viruses in any file on my machine. Many of it files I have sent to “virustotal.com”, where it was scanned by inumerous anti-virus engines, and nothing was found.

And I don’t know how is the Panda technical support in Europe or USA, but here in Brazil it is very weak, and the technicians knows usually less than the users. Panda is definitively “dead” for me. :slight_smile:

I prefer a solution like Comodo, where I can use a very useful forum, where I find people that helps me with goodwill (and thanks to you all for this :slight_smile: ), instead of “pay” for something that don’t fit my needs and only cause problems to me.

Thanks to you all, and thanks to Comodo. (B) I am awaiting anxiously for the version 3 of CAVS. :BNC

Thanks!

P.S.: in some tests I am making, some ports appears as “opened”, like for example the ports 80, 443, 1037 and 1029. How can I close/stealth it in Comodo?

what test? i’ve tried shields up yesterday, & CFP pass the test. anyway you could post the CFP related question to firewall section. same as you, i’m still confused ??? and i’ve tried 10 leaktest (outbound), CFP only pass 2 of it.

Hello ganda,

So, I am now preocuppied because in all tests I made at PcFlank and at ShieldsUp some ports was detected as “opened” (ports 80, 443, 1037 and 1029, for example).

Maybe some wrong configuration on CPF? But I don’t have changed anything on it. ???

Well the question is that my very old system was really very old and I mean it, actually 450 MHz, 64 MB RAM, Windows 98. When installing Panda it said that it couldn’t install completely because my resources were so low, I understood that. But even after installing without some components, my computer was so slowed down that I couldn’t do anything with it. Yes I know that the machine was ridiculously old and low on RAM but AVG Free worked fine without slowing it down. Maybe AVG Free’s protection is more elemental than Panda’s, but if that resource usage is normal for AV suites then they’re not for me. :-\

That’s strange, you may want to raise the question in the board of Help for v3. (to improve your chance of actually getting help ;), I don’t have the answer to your issue myself)

Anyway, I see you have Avira Antivir now. I think it’s a great choice, one of the best out there. With CFP 3, BOClean and even Comodo Memory Guardian (CMG) I think you have as much protection as one can ask for. I think none of these programs are very resource demanding, either.

/LA

Hello,

So, following the suggestion of ganda, I have created a global rule on CPF 3, Blocking protocol “IP”, direction “In”, source “any”, destination “any” and IP protocol “any”. This rule is working fine for me, and now all tests shows my ports as “stealth”. :BNC

This rule does not block anything on my machine, and I can use softwares like Imesh, etc, without problems.

LeoniAquila, do you think that have I to install the Comodo Memory Guardian? This will not consume higher resources on my machine, remembering that I have Comodo BOClean, Avira AntiVir Personal and CPF 3 ?

Japo, I think that Panda really consumes higher levels of resources, because after it unninstalation and instalation of Comodo and Avira, my machine is much more faster.

Thank you all for your help. :■■■■

Hi,

To be honest CMG is the kind of protection I know the least about. It protects from so called buffer overflow attacks, which I think very few programs do. You can read more about it at the CMG board section. I haven’t tried it in a while so I don’t know its resource usage, but why not give it a try, it’s a tiny program. In later releases of Comodo Firewall Pro (3.x), CMG will actually be integrated! So in a while I think we won’t need anything more than CFP 3(.x) and CAVS 3 (w. BOClean integrated). :slight_smile:

/LA

Glad to hear this. :slight_smile:

Thank you, I will take a look at CMG. (V)

Regards.

but you need to be careful :o , there’s known compatibility issue between CMG & BOClean. (luckily, i have them both with no problem)

Ah, good that you pointed out this, I thought about it before I wrote my post for Marcos, but then I completely forgot it!

/LA

lol, dis is funny.

i actually had no prob w PIS operation.
and after i discontinued PIS, panda frequently emailed me remindin dat i wasnt protected n such i need blah blah blah as well as some new update, offer…
i consider dis a lil disturbin’

but Panda was obtrusiv in da sense dat it traced my personal info. In da emails, it called me mr @_@, luckily not me coz im not da flat owner.
dat was totally unneccessary.

Hello! :slight_smile:

but you need to be careful Shocked , there's known compatibility issue between CMG & BOClean. (luckily, i have them both with no problem)

Ok, I will take care and see how CMG runs in my machine. :slight_smile:

lol, dis is funny.

i actually had no prob w PIS operation.
and after i discontinued PIS, panda frequently emailed me remindin dat i wasnt protected n such i need blah blah blah as well as some new update, offer…
i consider dis a lil disturbin’

but Panda was obtrusiv in da sense dat it traced my personal info. In da emails, it called me mr [ at ] _ [ at ] , luckily not me coz im not da flat owner.
dat was totally unneccessary.

Really, these e-mails are very disturbing. :wink: I don’t understand why they send it to the users even if the users don’t have accepted to receive it. But, PIS is now out of my machines, and I am loving the fact of use so useful and powerful security solutions paying nothing for it. ;D

Comodo is really a great software house, and many thanks for them. (CLY) And let’s await for CAVS 3. (:AGL)

i still got these annoying email from Mc.Afee. what can i do, it’s preinstalled on my laptop. >:(

now i think you forgot your name too /LA ;D
announcement to all newbie :
/L A = Leoni Aquila
and he (or she ??? ;D ) said she (or he ;D ) is a man.
;D ;D ;D who’d trust her ??? ;D

Hello again! :slight_smile:

I would like to ask you regarding two rules I have created at my CPF, as described below:

2nd place rule - Block - Protocol IP - Direction In - Source address any - Destination address any - IP protocol any

1st place rule - Allow - Protocol IP - Direction In/Out - Source address single IP (a machine from my LAN) - Destination address any - IP details any

The 2nd place rule I have created to prevent any port to be opened, and by this way, all tests I made now, like for example at PcFlank, shows all my ports as “stealth”.

The first place rule I have created to allow connections between my machine and the other I have in my LAN, and also to allow internet sharing.

Do you think that the two above rules can cause some problem of some type? Or, if the above rules can block software like “Imesh”, for example (I have added Imesh as a “trusted application”)?

Many thanks to you all. :■■■■

these are mine for LAN :
both rules are created from firewall/common/stealth port wizard:
allow all outgoing request if the target is IP in[LAN]
allow all incoming request if the sender is IP in [LAN]

and this was taught by Gibran :
block IP in from IP not in [LAN] to IP in [LAN]/any/any
block IP out from IP in [LAN] to IP not in [LAN] any/any

i use IP range for [LAN]==> 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255