How many users have not had trouble with CTM?

I have experienced no know problems upon installation of CTM version 2.5.129464.157. This version remains, has not been updated since it’s installation after a fresh install XP on a fresh WD internal HD. I have taken only one snap shot since installing the program, and this was after service packs and all updates, along with a few choice programs were installed.

I divided the fresh internal HD into 2 partitions, allowing CTM to monitor only the partition containing the OS. I have kept pretty much all things off of the partition containing the OS and keep everything I care about on the other partition and external HD’s. I did this under the impression i would not have to fresh install in the event of a OS crash, virus, etc… and simply hit the home key upon boot and start over from the snapshot.

After reading some of the threads related to CTM over the months, I have a few questions…

1. does CTM cause problems with connected external drives? Should I be concerned of loss or corruption of data on those drives in the event of a system crash, or by simply updating CTM?

2. does CTM cause problems if the HD it is installed on is removed from the PC, and replaced with a new HD? would replacing the HD CTM is installed on effect the functionality of the computer, external drives or partitions connected to it?

3. is using a defragmentation program a good or bad thing with CTM? if bad, would simply right clicking and exiting the program before defragging make a difference?

Thanks for any feedback…

No.

System crash? Well… it won’t be CTM fault…
Updating CTM, no.

No.

Well… partitions in which HD? Which ones are protected by CTM, the new or the old ones?

Yes. They’re incompatible technologies. You’ll generate huge snapshots.

No, the problem is the driver loaded before Windows. It’s intrinsically related to the technology used.

Well… If version 2.5 is working for you, maybe you should keep it… CTM is not being developed anymore.

Sorry… the disk in which the OS is on is the one with the partition. However, I meant to express, If I removed the internal disk containing the OS from a PC, and installed a new internal disk with fresh install OS or different OS entirely, would this be a problem… but you kinda answered this in q#2

Like I said… no problems that I know of. However, using audio workstations as I do, it is necessary to defrag every once in a while… so I guess my final question about the program, is, are there any special steps to take should I uninstall it? will uninstalling ■■■■■ up system?

P.S. Thanks for the quick responses.

Backup all your documents, data, etc.

It shouldn’t. But I don’t know anything about version 2.5 anymore… Remember, s*** happens (or could happen).

Interesting that some people are reporting older versions being better than the last official one. We’ve been holding out for the new version (which now sounds like ‘never’). Have been thinking anout trialling the last beta, but should we really be consider using an older version, as counter-intuitive as it sounds. What are the difficulties with older versions we are likely to encounter? Is it a lot slower to snapshot or rollback for example, or other issues to take into account?

We experienced installation fail with last official version on some models of laptop, just to put into context why why are not using that.

Also had issue with my mother-in-laws laptop that i put it on, that her laptop failed to boot a few months after I installed it (not sure if CTM was to blame) but I couldn’t retrieve some of her most recent files from her laptop until I uninstalled CTM!

Hey Everyone!

I wasn’t even going to write it but I felt I just MUST, in order to make sure “justice” is done in regards to CTM. ;D.

First I will say that I’ve had ZERO problems with Comodo Time Machine (CMT from now on) and more than any other, this tool it has saved my system many times durring a recent PC crisis that was hard to diagnose. I Love this software program. Live or die, it will go down in my personal history as one of the best backup programs I’ve ever used… ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING IT’S FREE.

However I almost didn’t use it. In fact, after a very short but satisfying experience with the software I QUICKLY and fearfully uninstalled it… NOT because I had any problems with it… but BECAUSE OF THE HORROR STORIES I READ IN THIS FORUM ABOUT IT.

Please bear with my verbosity. My experience is particularly significant and might actually help resolve this controversial topic if considered and acted upon. I will leave that up to you. For the moderators if this is too verbose or off topic I hope you will consider editing out the unnessary parts and keep the significant parts. Everyone want’s a resolution to this issue and I think trashing CTM would be a very bad mistake and a disservice to the public.

I’ve read the horror stories and I know CTM is not the “original” or the first program of this type, but I’ve tried at least two of the original 3 Virtual Backup System (Rollback RX for one). It was ok but took about 5 hours to uninstall! No kidding. CMT uninstalled in about 10 minutes… more on that later…

A Quick bit about myself and my experience. I’m a web developer by trade for almost 20 years now. Prior to this I was a SYSOP of a popular neighborhood BBS system (remember those).

Years ago I built computer systems as a side job but found I enjoyed working on them more when my income wasn’t dependent on them. I now moonlight for friends and close acquaintences as a remote PC repair tech and I’ve only taken my PC in to the shop two or three times in 15 years. I do all the construction, upgrades and maintainance myself.

I’m not bragging. The point I’m making hopefully will help someone else. One of the biggest mistakes I see people making with what I call “Extreme Power Tools” like Time Machine is they rush to install WITHOUT READING THE MANUAL AND GETTING FAMILIAR WITH THE TOOL!

I download the software, found the manuals (I dont think they are visible in an obvious way on the download page) installed it and came to these forums to learn more about it. As I mentioned, after reading all about it I was very nervous and promptly found and read the post on uninstalling it and did so in haste. Although I’d had it on my PC for awhile and it has saved my PC from what would otherwise be a total loss more than once, I promptly uninstalled it based on some of the postings I read here.

I will qualify that I READ the manual and the uninstall instructions written by Comodo techs in the forum first but I was on pins and needles almost expecting my system to have a nuclear meltdown as it uninstalled… and… nothing, not a problem in the world and a fast, painless uninstall.

So, I reinstalled it… and uninstalled it again… NO PROBLEMS. I’ve purchased alot of sofware in my time and one of my biggest gripes is all the JUNK that is unsupported and abandoned leaving me with an expensive useless “tool”. There is only one thing that bothers me more… and that is when an excellent or potentially excellent piece of software is abandoned due to a lack of vision on the part of the company who made it. Or worse still, due to nothing but the bottom line or the inability to ask the right questions in order to collect enough of the right type of accurate information to diagnose the issue and resolve it (which is what I hope you do with CTM).

I don’t comment on these forums normally but I felt compelled to write this. Find out what the problem is and fix it. Keep this program alive. It’s powerful and awesome and worthy of your efforts Comodo.

For those who have had problems. I will finish this novel by saying three things that I hope will help this topic of CTM, then close with my system details. In my humble opinion:

If we want to resolve this issue, solve the problem and SAVE CMT from the dumpster…

1. Post your System Details and Exact Experience. Be Honest and Specific! Otherwise all we have is a big heated debate based on biased personal experience and speculation, not on the Specific Facts that will ultimately lead to a solution.

2. READ THE MANUAL FIRST. This isn’t some computer game or toy. It’s a POWER UTILITY and I’ve never known one that didn’t have the power to destroy a system as well as fix and tune it. Not a good one anyway.

Finally and most Importantly… and this is probably not going to make me any friends but Ihave to say it and I don’t mean to offend…

3. NEVER NEVER NEVER run a powerful system utility without DOING A HARDCOPY REMOTE DISK BACKUP FIRST. I’m not going to flame or criticize, but I will tell you the same thing I would think to myself if I had the same experience I’ve read many describe in these forums…

What destroyed/Lost your data wasn’t CTM. It was a combination of:

a. Not reading the manual and becoming totally familiar with the software FIRST
plus
b. Not doing a complete remote hardcopy system disk backup before using a power tool like CTM.

I do not in any way work for Comodo. Thank you all for your time and patience.

MY COMPUTER SYSTEM

ASUS M2N SLI Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 CPU
4 Gigs of DDR2 800 RAM

• Nvidia Nforce 560 SLI Video Card w/500 megs RAM (replaced)
    ATI Radeon HD 4650 Video Card with 1gig Ram
    2 1 Terabyte Seagate Barracuda Hard Drives
    2 CD ROM Drives. 1 internal and 1 External USB
    and
    One Computer lover and addict who will be very let down if CTM isn’t developed to it’s full potential as one of the fastest, most solid, trouble free “Virtual Backup” power utilities available anywhere for any price.

CTM backs up my 1 TB hard drive in about 5 to 10 seconds. After the worst disaster it takes as long as it takes to boot my PC to fix things like they never happened… FOR FREE!

I leave it to you. Thanks for listening.

Not too verbose at all Webmanager! Thanks for writing that. :slight_smile:

I hope development continues as well, but the jury is still out on that.

Mark (Webmanager), I can see those are the words from your heart ! I’m sure there are quite a lot of people using CTM fine and coming to the forum every so often just to read and keep themselves updated; in other words they prefer to be lurkers rather than posters. ( One can tell by checking on the “view” times of different topics, which are quite impressive sometimes )

There are users who feel very good about CTM like you, to state two that I’ve come across:

" I have a license for Eaz-Fix Pro but have been using CTM for about a year " (quote from “Greg S”)
" If I had to give up all my “freeware” except one program this would be the one I’d keep." (quote from “ratchet”)
and " Don’t leave my Computer on without it ! " (From me : ) )

Comodo has 2 products that are on my top 5 (system-related) software list, Comodo Firewall and CTM, and I am indeed very grateful for it.

This is probably the best post I’ve ever read.

The only real problem I’ve had with CTM was when my office comp failed after I’ve made restoration to some previous snapshot. Comp Service guys said it was failure of the hard disk which was really old and worn (I didn’t say them of CTM - I doubt if they even know what is it). They changed my hard disk for some other not fresh but probably not so worn hard disk and now I enjoy CTM even in my office. I had some other easy to fix problems with CTM but it’s nothing in comparison that CTM many times saved my comp - thank you, Comodo!

:SML:

@ Tech

Copy that… I always try to back everything up on multiple external hd’s… then eventually archive to dvd’s… yeah, im a freak about it…

no doubt… thanks for responding again Tech… I think if I decide to uninstall, will just let Comodo Program Monitor handle it…

@ webmanager

I hear ya on this point… I know it is these “horror stories” you speak of in the forums are the reason for my uneasiness about a program that appears to be working as intended, which in turn leads to my “lurking” behavior as james321888 puts it… whatever that’s supposed to mean… nonetheless, CTM remains on the good ol xp system @ the moment…

@ james321888

what’s the point in that… I thought the forums are here for the info? I know there are numerous times I’ve visited these forums for product information & the latest news and developments and not made a comment… usually due to the fact I am un-knowledgeable on the subject… hence the reason I’m here… I guess everything has to have a label tho huh…

Ha… Sorry computer freak boy for not responding to your questions sooner as I hadn’t noticed them… You should have posted them on the Help Section !

No, CTM should not cause problems with ext. data drives in the event of system crash or on install/uninstall of CTM.

Pls. “LURK” into this topic https://forums.comodo.com/help-ctm/ctm-hdd-in-another-computer-t71388.0.html
You need to uninstall CTM first before physically adding/removing a HDD.

Bad ! You should right-click and exit the Defrag program >:-D (or uninstall CTM before the defrag)

Actually in your case which you just took one snapshot for rollback in case of system crash, it’s wiser to choose an alternative which is to make a backup copy of your system instead of installing CTM and coming from time to time to lurk into those “horror stories” !

thanks james321888… that pretty much clears things up for me…

P.S. “computer freak boy” classic material right there :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve installed CTM v2.8 on 5 different systems of my own so far and on countless computers of friends and clients, with very few failures. The mst recent failure was with a friend’s Acer laptop, but since I always backup before installing anything the situation was reversible.

I was forced to stop using it on my systems when I upgraded to SSDs. Looking forward to v3.0 BTW!

Hey Everyone,

Thank you for the kind words. javascript:void(0);

Yes the post was from my heart and honest based on my experience. I didn’t know whether it would be accepted or if I would get flamed… because I’m often… uh… long winded. However in my defense I do focus on relevant issues.

Which brings me to the point. ONE CAUTION regarding CTM, Typically Time Machine automatically comes into play if the PC crashes or there is a problem. It’s the nature of the beast. So…

Whenever this happens I’ve found it a good thing to do a SCANDISK or CHECKDISK and fix any issues as necessary. If your data is corrupt… as in… Comodo Time Machine program data. Of course it’s going to cause problems.

If I had one (well two) suggestions to make based on my experience regarding the development of the software they would be:

1. Improve the DEFRAG capabilities so the drive is indeed fully defragged and even data optimized. Perhaps with a standard defrag option (current) and an Advanced fully optimized option.

2. Add a check disk and repair feature.

3. Add the ability for CTM to police itself or a second program that checks the data for corruption and tells you when and if you need to do a repair reinstall.

In my opinion these three features would make CTM ready for the prime time.

However I will continue to use it for as long as it works and it works GREAT for me.

Take care all!

Mark, your suggestions are pretty much turning into luxurious thoughts, at least for the time being !

As development of CTM has been ceased and the product has been removed from Comodo website;
just make good use of the version that you have on hand !

The download links for CTM v2.8 and CTM v2.9 beta are still active. They can be found in the release topics of the two versions

I’ve been having some problems/issues with CTM

1. It slows down the machine…(the machine is almost unusable when it is installed, uses up way too much RAM)
  2. snapshots sometimes taked up a lot of space (more than 1GB)
  3. malware can still infect these snapshots (the purpose is to restore to a clean machine)
  4. the uninstalling this product takes FOREVER (i’ve been uninstalling this, and the next startup still need to finish the uninstall, and it takes HOURS

My final review:
CTM is a very good product and can restore to a clean machine sometimes. if you got very infected and unable to boot, it can’t restore to a clean machine. i would still not use this program and use the “system restore” instead, because it slows down the system a lot and eats way too much RAM. i would wait until comodo fixes these problems.

Strange… This never happened to me, I mean, the slowdowns and resources usage…
Which is your Windows? Any other security program that could interfere?

I’ve been using Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, Intel Core i7 CPU @1.60 GHz, 6.0 GB RAM

I use CTM on two rather old comps:
comp-1 Celeron D 2.8 Gz, 512 Mb Ram, Win-XP, CTM 2.8
comp-2 Celeron D 3.2 Gz, 2Gb Ram, Win-7, CTM 2.9
and no issues with the CTM - comps work the same with or without CTM, no slowdowns, RAM shortage, etc.