Goodbye

It’s always said to lose an old forum guy and it’s always sad to lose a translator.

Really ? , maybe this was brucin’s intent, but his post wasn’t supportive at all in my point of view.

You don’t feel comfortable telling users of your software to nominate your program , and you are okay asking them for donations? , I’m sorry but for me that is kinda weird.

Anyway , What would the world be like if everyone`s views were the same?

My regards

Off-topic: I don’t see how that’s related. Am I being dishonest by accepting donations? Am I misrepresenting where the money goes (it goes to me)? Advertising and selling (or in this case, donating) are different things.

Anyway , What would the world be like if everyone`s views were the same?

Off-topic: I hate relativism…

Thank you Salaficall! I sincerely appreciate your understanding! Like you said an open forum is not a license to disrespect or insult others, just like free society doesn’t mean you can rob or kill others!

thank you!

Melih

Try not to use them in international context.

Can those and/or others alike be used or ...??? would you label and "prosecute" any person, who is using such expressions or only those who are somehow criticizing things that are going on here in Comodo forum ... (actually having only positive intentions as a matter of fact)
I believe he is concerned but to say in very colloquial Dutch"Het komt zo lullig z'n strot uit". Sometimes the how totally overpowers and diminishes the intent. As the French would say "C'est le ton qui fait la music".
Not good enough for my taste ... I know you don't like my taste , but anyway - objectivity should prevail (my bad taste again)

otherwise we’ll have more angry responses, which are not appropriate and rather used during some scandals and brawls that may occur in public places a bazaar or caravansary

Was it against the policy mentioning “karəˈvansərʌɪ” , since the word derives from Persian/ Turkish?
or
it is against the policy because it is in the context of criticizing you actions as a moderator?
or
it is against the policy because I do not agree with certain reactions by the CEO of Comodo?

Regards

Tell me how you would answer your own questions and tell straight up what you think instead of hiding your opinions behind questions. Now it may look like you want to start antagonising.

He was antagonising when using the “African Nations” term, when suggesting there is a polarisation

here probably not being to make a contest between the active zealots of Comodo and those of concurrent editors
and calling each and every user including Melih a zealot.

He stretches things further when stating

be fairly judged by the still non-users if fanboyism, agressive behavior of concurrent editors and demagogic practices where not permanent
accusing Comodo about some form of “permanent guerilla advertising”.

All of the antagonistic things added up spells flame to me. According to the FP that would be enough reason to split.

I think the sensible interpretation of "African Republics methods" does not involve any offense to African people, just as the term "Nigerian scam" should not offend anyone. It's an accepted expression.
I think it is best to try not to use such generalisations when operating in an international context
The original intent was obviously not clear to many users.
Sometimes how things are being said overpowers and diminishes the intent. Brucine as a highly trained academic is more than well spoken enough to know how these things work.
Software being free does not mean the people involved are immune from criticism.

brucine was being supportive, offering suggestions to improve Comodo’s image. brucine was concerned about the tactics (neutral word) Comodo uses, and wasn’t mocking any organisation or person.

See my comments in the above.

[at]EricJH: Let's stay away from the F-word (flame) and the T-word (troll). Treating the words like they're objective is one very common mistake.
It's good to tread careful with these but being careful does not mean they should never be used either.

That’s not a fair comparison. Wj32 choses to have his program promoted by its sheer merit and word of mouth. That’s a laudable choice and should not be discredited by the fact that this may bring some funding for the development of his programs.

It is a derogatory comment and such a violation of the mentioned section 8 subsection 2. Please stay civil and on topic.

+1
My earlier posts were not intended to judge a particular post/action.
It is just that losing a collaborator is always a pain. But he/she should be a real collaborator.

First of all I would like to say that I didn’t mean to discredit or derogatory wj32! at all , For me the developer is more than welcomed to ask for donations just to keep his free wonderful software up and running as usual, and he is Not dishonest at all by doing so.

AT the same time , a developer asking people that are already using his software to nominate it in a poll just to support his software and show how far they like it , this has nothing to do with dishonesty as well.

That’s why it was not fair to say that Melih’s Nomination thread somehow reflects him badly! and ruining Comodo’s image!.

I’m just expressing my personal opinion here , I’m not obligating anyone to agree with me , views and opinions differ.

Agree.

Agree again.

Can I claim you just insulted me with that statement, let’s say due to my “religious beliefs”? If your forum rules are solely based on words like “insulting” and “derogatory” then they will be abused.

How about the last sentence: “they make people feel that, if some editor needs these methods for its softwares, it is because these softwares are of such a bad quality, which is definitely not the case.” I think that explains everything - brucine was trying to look at the issue from a somewhat skeptical user’s perspective. And anyway, are you saying there’s something wrong with accusing all Comodo users of being fanboys? That statement can easily be refuted without requiring the post to be moved.

I'm just expressing my personal opinion here , I'm not obligating anyone to agree with me , views and opinions differ.

Stop with the relativism! >:-D It is not just your “personal opinion”. You are posting things because you want other people to believe you - it’s called a debate. Now I don’t think what you posted was derogatory at all, and EricJH just illustrated how the forum rules can be bent to suit anyone’s needs (not blaming anyone here).

AT the same time , a developer asking people that are [u]already[/u] using his software to nominate it in a poll just to support his software and show how far they like it , [b]this has nothing to do with dishonesty as well[/b].

You don’t have to be a statistics expert to know that online polls are usually meaningless, due to biased and small sample sizes. Asking users to nominate products in a poll is just going to make the problem even worse. That’s why I think it’s dishonest.

That's why it was not fair to say that Melih's Nomination thread somehow reflects him badly! and ruining Comodo's image!.

OK, but I did say this was “off-topic”, because the only reason I gave you my perspective on this issue was to let you understand why brucine posted that stuff. Not because brucine is part of some “gang” that wants to “poison” threads.

Sure , I will be happy if other people agree with my personal opinion , but if they don’t I will make sure to be polite with them and I will respect their point of views as long as they stick to good manners and express themselves nicely.

My regards

The Comodo forum rules are not solely based on those.

How about the last sentence: "they make people feel that, if some editor needs these methods for its softwares, it is because these softwares are of such a bad quality, which is definitely not the case." I think that explains everything - brucine was trying to look at the issue from a somewhat skeptical user's perspective.
As stated before I am not denying Brucine came from a point of concern but the route he took to come to this conclusion ruffled enough feathers to legitimise the split. What also may have contributed to the confusion is his abstract and tangled sentences that may have clouded people's view.
And anyway, are you saying there's something wrong with accusing all Comodo users of being fanboys? That statement can easily be refuted without requiring the post to be moved.
This one of several feathers that got ruffled.
Stop with the relativism! >:-D It is not just your "personal opinion". You are posting things because you want other people to believe you - it's called a debate.
Right on the mark.
Now I don't think what you posted was derogatory at all, and EricJH just illustrated how the forum rules can be bent to suit anyone's needs (not blaming anyone here).
Or could we say how things can be seen as (potentially) derogatory by the one person (me) and are apparently not experienced like that by the other person, you?
You don't have to be a statistics expert to know that online polls are usually meaningless, due to biased and small sample sizes. Asking users to nominate products in a poll is just going to make the problem even worse. That's why I think it's dishonest.
I think most people will take such polls with a grain of salt anyway when they see them.
OK, but I did say this was "off-topic", because the only reason I gave you my perspective on this issue was to let you understand why brucine posted that stuff. Not because brucine is part of some "gang" that wants to "poison" threads.
Fair enough.

Well, here’s my entrance into this thread. ;D

Agreed. I see nothing incredibly wrong with Melih requesting that people nominate Comodo. While I would have preferred he had simply asked them to nominate their favorite security program, I can understand his position. Wouldn’t you have been more shocked to see him ask you to nominate Online Armor (or Norton)? 88)

That said

Isn’t this an argument against anyone taking these too serious. Hence what was the big deal in the first place. I’m sure you can find posts in almost all security forums that, whether obviously or subtly, encourage the reader to vote for their product.

At least Melih chose the obvious approach over mind control. 88)

Please try not to misquote my response. >:-D

Here’s what I think Melih is thinking. Because other AV companies employ those kinds of tactics, the only way Comodo is going to compete is by doing the same. There’s nothing wrong with thinking that, but the problem some users have is with how brucine’s comments were handled.

Isn't this an argument against anyone taking these too serious. Hence what was the big deal in the first place. I'm sure you can find posts in almost all security forums that, whether obviously or subtly, encourage the reader to vote for their product.

My point was that even though we know the polls are worthless statistically, users will still go to them for advice. For example, I don’t know anything about to-do list programs, but you can bet that I’ll be Googling “best todo list software” when I need one. Let’s not continue this further though, because it’s not really the issue here.

I would have to start a new thread.

Another (yet again) original contributor is leaving. The list is long.
Original 1. Preceding all others in time; first.
a. Not derived from something else; fresh and unusual: an original play, not an adaptation.
b. Showing a marked departure from previous practice; new: a truly original approach. See Synonyms at new.
3. Productive of new things or new ideas; inventive: an original mind.
4. Being the source from which a copy, reproduction, or translation is made.
n.
1. A first form from which other forms are made or developed: Later models of the car retained many features of the original.
a. An authentic work of art: bought an original, not a print.
b. Work that has been composed firsthand: kept the original but sent a photocopy to his publisher.
3. A person who is appealingly odd or curious; a character.
4. Archaic The source from which something arises; an originator.

It’s a shame.

Source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/

I agree somewhat with what wj32 recently mentioned… Online polls can be quite inaccurate. Because of Melih’s encouragement, probably swarms of loving forum members will go to place their obvious vote. And the only way to get things to balance out more is to post links to the poll in all other security product forums… And in the end, the company with more fanboys would win. :stuck_out_tongue:

But someone “important” often has to mention a poll in order to call attention to it. Maybe just posting a link and saying, “Place your vote and spread the word of this poll” would be better/more fair than what Melih did, which was basically, “Please vote for Comodo!”

Everyone will say “vote on me”. I think the Melih’s attitude is obvious and expected, correct.
Others will do the same. Or not. So, they lose the poll…
The voter is not a fanboy. He is a voter :slight_smile:

+1

A fanboy is a narrow-minded fanatic kid who just can’t see what’s bad and he sees everything is good even if it’s not !

So definitely , a happy loyal user who votes for his beloved software is not a fanboy!.

Exactly. For example last year i used the firewall of comodo but not the anti-virus, if i had saw that link of Melih, i would have gone there and voted the antivirus that i used, not the comodo antivirus.
And i am sure many people here did this.
So i do not see nothing wrong with that.

For Heaven’s sake… can’t you see the irony in your post?

The difference is that you now know about the poll, so the already biased sample is even more biased. If we had a poll where everyone on earth voted it would be fair. But imagine if you set up a little poll in your own small community, and a bunch of users come in all voting for the same product because the developer told them to do so.

Even though you would have voted for the AV you’re using, the main factor here is how biased the sample is. If more Comodo users know about the poll due to Melih posting a link to it, then obviously more CIS votes will be cast in comparison to other AVs.