free forever is no more?

???
I just heard from a geek buddy techy that there will no longer be anything provided for free…
:o

anti-virus will scan and detect, then ask you to buy? And not remove anything it just detected…

I was asking about the malware and comodo cleaner… I’m hopeing he was talking about that, so i asked specifically if cis, was going to be scam-ware now as well… and he said yes?!?

This would be a destructive means to profit from someone elses needs… like watching someone crash their car…diagnoseing their injuries, then asking for payment before you help them save themselves… even if you know they already have that knowledge…but their circumstances prevent them from doing anything by themselfs…IE a virus infection that disable’s their pc… If we had to pay to fix this…we’d never be able to fix it… and people would think comodo is scamware…everything you’ve set out to do…would be turned on itself…and quickly work backwards…

which if this goes into action…it would be scamware. And would be very bad for comodo to repeat evil ways of previous anti-v software that has gone the same route… often those companies go bankrupt in a few months… because they lose all their customers…even long time loyal beta testers… we simply do not want scams. we want and desparately need good anti-v like comodo… for free. otherwise… infections will spread simply because, we have no anti-virus that stops them…even stuff we pay for… is not as good as comodo’s free software =c i’d imagine that the paid software would be supreme and feature rich…

I was going to subscribe, knowing that this could help keep it free, but now i’m reconsidering even useing comodo’s software, of any kind… at all…

Please tell me comodo won’t be releasing this style of scamware…

i hope they dont start charging but they now have a paid version of system cleaner so its hard to say…

If they do what you have suggested in your post then i think the user base would shrink dramatically.
What i think he really meant is that if the AV alerts you to something you have the option of dealing with it yourself or paying for Geekbuddy™ assistance in solving whatever the issue may be.

Melih has stated many times that the core product(s) will remain free, probably just the technician that has got it wrong.
Could you please pm me the person you conversed with and i will notify Melih or another staff member that hopefully X is giving out wrong information and needs to be told otherwise.

Cheers,
Matty

I don’t think that Comodo would do this because there are plenty of free alternatives. They may not be as good, but they are at least close. I’d rather not have any geek buddy nag screens if it can be avoided, though.

I would guess that various geek buddy techies may feel their livelihood is threatened by the Comodo GeedBuddy service - especially with free introductory periods.

Misinformation or Disinformation ! !

I think that the techy is correct in that after the current geek buddy service free trial period is ended then that service will indeed no longer be provided for free by Comodo.

~Maxx~

This is undoubtedly true but the OP said in there post:

This is the part i don`t think is right. If the AV finds something it will give you the option to use Geekbuddy to help with the cleaning process if required. If you wish to do it yourself it should still remove/quarantine the detection.

Matty

p.s. This is may understanding of the situation, i hope i`m not wrong. Hopefully some official clarification can be given!

Edit: After reading a recent post it seems malware removal is not included in the current promotion of 1 year CIS Pro which includes Geekbuddy. So what actually is the point of Geekbuddy :-\

Kindly tell me where the geekbuddy logs are…as all gb correspondence and actions should be logged, and backed up incase of accidents or other various issues.

Just incase windows doesn’t do a good job at recovering what gets messed with.

I sincerely hope one of us is misunderstanding the issue presented.

The “Tech Guy” said YES to the understanding he had given that

1. Comodo Geek-Buddy was now scam-ware ;
  2. Standard Free For Ever vanilla Comodo Internet Security was going to become scam-ware ;
    Is the “Tech Guy” claiming that Comodo pretends to find malware when none exists and charges for its removal ?
    and possibly subverts the Removal button clicks to fool Windows into thinking the user is giving informed consent to the installation of genuine malware ?

How can this be anything but malicious deliberate disinformation.

I was going to subscribe, knowing that this could help keep it free, but now i'm reconsidering even useing comodo's software, of any kind.. at all..

Please tell me comodo won’t be releasing this style of scamware…

Obviously the “Tech Guy” is skilled at effective delivery of disinformation.

Normally I would agree with the rest of you and say that either the OP misunderstood the techguy or the tech guy is disgruntled about something and making it up. But with the Beta release of a paid and free version of CSC i think we might be in for a few surprises in the near future.

Hopefully Melih will come and enlighten us shortly.

Maybe they think Symantec etc were right after all you need to charge for top quality security?

Nothing new from devs…I hope there’s been a misunderstanding

HELP THE SKY IS FALLING ! ! !

Why does everyone fall for malicious disinformation ?

Why should Devs or Melih have to respond to every panic post when the answer is in plain view in the introductory topic at
Re: CIS Pro (new package) free for 1 year!
« Reply #80 on: Yesterday at 04:33:35 PM »

If you surf dangerously and torrent download with the wrong security settings,
and you cannot fix malware for yourself with the Free CCE,
there are many established Malware fighting forums with experts who will help you for free,
so why expect Comodo to needlessly pay the cost of your mistakes with their free protection.

pazsion was talking about cis too, if you read the first post carefully…

i’ll believe this when i see it

I exercise far greater care than you.

In what way was his reference to “cis” indicating something other than my
“Standard Free For Ever vanilla Comodo Internet Security” ?

I separately referred to the topic
“Re: CIS Pro (new package) free for 1 year!”
which I assume is “vanilla CIS” plus the “free during introductory” GeekBuddy.
I consider this to be an extra benefit for those who have difficulty installing CIS,
and just because it does not include free removal of the junk you should not have allowed on board there are cries of scamware.

pazsion is prepared to consider CIS to be scamware just because they charge if an extra malware fighting service is needed for obstinate malware.
pazsion refers to
“anti-virus will scan and detect, then ask you to buy? And not remove anything it just detected…”
He assumes that quarantine will need a buy ! !

Alan, there’s no need to get angry…we are on the same side, I’d like to see cis free version available for ever, just like you I suppose.
On the other hand, if I’m not wrong… something similar happened for DACS also: a guy that had worked at Comodo spreaded details about it before the time…and after 1 or 2 days DACS has been released…
So lets see what happens, I’m convinced that CIS will be kept free, like you said, and I hope someone like Melih will clarify the situation… :wink:

Lets just hope that the core products will remain free(always)…

This has caused some discussion amongst mods, and so some others may wish to chip in with opinions.

Some thoughts:

1. These are now certainly some AV scan results that CIS cannot quarantine or delete. For example some hidden registry entries detected using rootkit detection. On my machine this has been true since 5.3. Note that this can be seen as consistent with a (presumed I don’t know!) policy of quarantining and deleting malware executables, but not cleaning up the effects of executables. The real change is perhaps that that CIS is now detecting effects of executables, as well as the executables themselves.

2. the first few months of Geekbuddy are free. So your first infection can be cleaned up free. I’ve suggested Comodo might think about cleaning subsequent infections for free - so the clean would be a loss leader for the general (cheap but paid for) optional Geekbuddy support service - but that may be asking for too much. I’ve also suggested that Comodo should not ask for credit card details until the end of the trial period - not sure what happens now - does anyone know?

3. you can export scan results to a text file to aid cleaning.

4. Comodo provides an excellent if techie cleaning tool (CCE) free

Personally I feel that the policy is OK if my suggestions are accepted (see 2 above), but do think it needs presenting and communicating carefully. The warning you now get after a scan is a bit too strong I think, on reflection. Needs toning down a bit.

Could Melih perhaps explain?

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Mouse

Not angry, just sad at so much needless fear.

I see zero similarity to DACS.

An ex Comodo guy leaked details of DACS before release - so what ?
Are you saying that Comodo did the dirty on us by releasing DACS,
and that dirty is comparable to your fears of a FREE CIS being degraded to only WARN of malware.

Are you saying that “geek buddy techy” who started the rumour was on the Comodo payroll ?
In my first post I stated
“I would guess that various geek buddy techies may feel their livelihood is threatened by the Comodo GeekBuddy service”
It should be obvious that I considered him to be outside of Comodo,
and pazsion’s subsequent post has not contradicted my interpretation,
which implies I guessed correctly.

Alan