"Fix the Bugs" time for CAVS :-) (need your help... please read...)

Just watched Event viewer and find these:

1- Dozens of them, maybe hundreds… Is this normal? Named “Information”:
“The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Comodo Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.”

2-There is also dozens or hundreds of these too, named “Application error”:
"Faulting application cavaud.exe, version 1.1.0.2, faulting module cavaud.exe, version 1.1.0.2, fault address 0x000040f0.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Microsoft Support.

Data - Bytes:

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 63 61 76 ure cav
0018: 61 75 64 2e 65 78 65 20 aud.exe
0020: 31 2e 31 2e 30 2e 32 20 1.1.0.2
0028: 69 6e 20 63 61 76 61 75 in cavau
0030: 64 2e 65 78 65 20 31 2e d.exe 1.
0038: 31 2e 30 2e 32 20 61 74 1.0.2 at
0040: 20 6f 66 66 73 65 74 20 offset
0048: 30 30 30 30 34 30 66 30 000040f0
0050: 0d 0a … "

Did this happen to anyone else or did anyone look at it? It was a fairly serious issue, it caused a blue screen in Win XP :open_mouth:

Staind, I have not experienced that, and although I know there is an issue with CAVS hanging due to recursive zips (and on 2Gig image-laden files for me), I haven’t heard of it w/PPT files (doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened, tho).

Have you reported to Support? http://support.comodo.com/

LM

I just installed Commodo AV and it’s found a ‘virus’ that none of the other AVs I have tested have detected.

The problem is that the item it has ‘detected’ is an audio driver for onboard sound on a P5W DH Deluxe motherboard. Not sure if anyone else has had any similar cases?

It detects RTHDCPL.exe as being a Trojan-Dropper.Win32.VB.il . It failed to disinfect as well.

It discovered this from the installation directory for the driver and it was not found in the actual Windows folder where the driver is located.

Any similar cases?

I don’t think so. I did a Google search on “rthdcpl.exe trojan” & that yielded conflicting information. But, most on the first few pages were either not relevant or merely stated that rthdcpl.exe is Realtek HD Audio Sound Effect Manager, a non-essential process… bla… bla… There were a few that talked about it like it was a Trojan… but, I think these were sales pitches… buy our product to remove this horrible program. Likely to be a false positive. But, you can never be 100% sure.

The best thing to do is send it to Comodo for inspection.

Hi All

I have rebuilt my PC and done a fresh install of XP pro 32bit. Decided to use Comodo for AV and FW and had no problem installing the products and updating them. After the 1st reboot all was well and I took an acronis system image of the drive.

On the next restart I had the missing HAL.DLL issue. I used another machine to research the message and spent lots of time rebuilding boot.ini and even removing all partitions, repartitioning then restoring my saved image. This always gave the HAL problem. In the end I repaired the Windows version from the setup disk and it booted again. - Took another image. I was encountering odd problems with Mailwasher pro and Thunderbird both have multiple accounts and both kept failing to properly connect to the servers. (also said username and password failed every time)

Any out going mail cause the install sheild for the AV to pop up and do something then pop back. Then Winlogon used 100% CPU. On next boot HAL.DLL had gone again so I restored from the last image I had made and this time it booted.

It was a terrible mess. Uninstalled the Comodo AV and everything works perfectly.

I have created a virtual machine in VMware of my original image so I can try the next version out berfore I commit to a live install!

Dont want to be negative however - this is beta ware so I was daft to install without testing anyway and the concept is great and love the firewall.

Howdy all…

Just started running CPF and absolutly LOVE it. Decided to try out the CAV and apperently got the so called Slow-Boot-Of-Death. Of course… at the same time I also discovered that Microsoft, in their godlike wisdom apperently also decided it was very intelligent of them to disable the windows installer program from working in safe mode so you can’t un-install a program thats fouling your computer up in normal mode. Took me a bit of time and a great deal of cussing to discover the trick of triggering the windows Installer to start up at a normal re-boot, in time to disable and uninstall the CAV.

My system is rather old, and decrepit.

Windows XP is actually seriously stressing my machine as it is, and I am running it with 192 megs of sdram, some of which is being used for the onboard Video. My mb is also very old and the 500 MGHZ P3 processor is the highest it can hold. LOL trust me when I say this thing is so ancient, it would’nt even be useful as a Boat Anchor… fortunatly, a new system is in the process of being built and I hope that by the time it’s finished, the bugs in CAV will have been addressed and fixed.

One question though, has there been any reported issues with users running 64 bit systems for either CAV or CPF? My new system is gonna be using the AMD 64 bit processors so…

Thanks in advance for any answers…

Dragon

Dear Melih,
I tried to run CAV this afternoon and it crashed my system. The hard drive whirred and whirred before rebooting and when Windows loaded, the taskbar didn’t and ctrl alt del didn’t work. I had to force the system off. Rebooting again had the same result. Had I not been running Rollback RX Pro, I’d be beside myself right now. I am running Win XP2 with all of the updates. I’d very much like to use CAV as you are clearly committed to developing a top tier product. Please let me know when it’s safe to go back in the water…
Thanks!
Sue

Hi Sue,

Sorry you had this with CAVS. Can you tell us which beta version it was? CAVS beta 1.1 had some bugs like this, but the majority have been removed with the latest beta (2.0.7.14).

See the beta corner for more details:
https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/board,61.0.html

Mike

Thanks Mike,
I don’t know the version off hand. I downloaded it today so I am presuming it’s the most current version. Your site provided the link and the file was simply called setup. by the way, may I suggest you modify your install exes to include the program name and version? Both the firewall exe and CAVS are both called setup… even something like CFP2.exe or CAVS2.exe would be great…
Thanks!
Sue

Hi Sue,

If you downloaded it from the website then it was version 1.1 Version 2.0.7.14 is only available from the forums from beta corner: https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/board,61.0.html

Someone from Comodo can better answer your question about the setup files. I’m just a user like yourself.

Mike

Thank you Mike. I downloaded and installed another product to try while CAVS gets straightened out, which hopefully will be soon as I only have 30 days with this one!

Hopefully the Comodo team will correct the downloadable file issue and get the earlier version off of their site.

Is there a mailing list to get notified of the next release?

Gratefully,
sue

You’re welcome Sue. :wink:

There is no mailing list, but keeping an eye on the beta corner (link in my previous post) will give you an indication of when a stable release is released - which should hopefully be in a couple of weeks.

Mike

So here is the list of bugs reported by our users:

-Scan engine taking too much time for some files - FIXED. CURRENTLY IN QA.
-Scan Engine sticks in some scenarios - FIXED. CURRENTLY IN QA.
-On Access can not be enabled on some systems

I paraphrased the above from the original Post - this is what happens on my XP Media Center on my Laptop:
-On Access can not be enabled on some systems

The On-Access Scanner still will Not Enable, even though you said it was fixed. I even Uninstalled it and Re-installed it on the Admin. side and I Still Couldn’t Enable it. May I make a Suggestion: take the Enable and Disable button Away(far away) (:CLP) so we Don’t have to press Any button/sheilds(whatever) to Enable it! Please make it Enabled already after we Install it!! Vista’s coming out soon and then Maybe it will Enable it then. Maybe it’ll work then(I really want it to work now). I Sure Hope so. I Really Want this software of yours working on my computer. Then I will recommend all your software to my Friends. I’ve already mentioned it to my roommate. He Hardly ever tries Software that I recommend. But he Will try your Software. Thank you!

Another thing: whenever I try to Enable it a window always pops up and says this:

Error
Comodo Anti-Virus encounted an error
No. CAV003
Description: On-Access Scanner failed to start

When you right click on Launch Pad and then you see Antivirus and the sentences underneath it like this one:
Protection against viruses & malicious comp. programs, etc. –
Well, the buttons beside them are Faded and I can’t enable them - not one of them!
So thats all I have, that are problems with your software, for now.

Greetings all!

I’m the Systems Admin here at my company, and I wish to thank Melith and his crew for doing their darndest to provide us with a Very cool program!

Here at my company it is a matter of donating arms, legs, and hearts before I can get any sort of funds to purchase necessary things to both keep my users safe and productive. Thankfully, the open source communities have provided me with scads of software to take up the tasks, except for Antivirus stuff. Symantec’s business solutions proved to be too costly for the boss, and ClamAV’s windows port doesnt have real-time scanning at this time, and so I had been forced to scrounge around for other solutions. Thank you for Comodo being around: I’ll definitely be sticking with you guys for future security needs!

As for the topic at hand, I’ve installed Comodo on many of the office computers here, and I do have a fairly “mature” list of bugs that I manage to work around thus far:

1. Outlook Hates Comodo’s Email scanner: I know that this has been brought up many times before, so I won’t go into it. I just turn of Email scanning for the computers (Bosses and Secretaries) that use Outlook as their mail client. All the other workstations that use Thunderbird as their Email client have No Problems at all.
  2. Computers behind my SQUID/DANSGUARDIAN proxy do not update automatically. BUT, If I go to them and manually click “Update now”, they update just fine. I just switched these to a “Custom” update where it checks every 4 hours, and I’ll monitor how this setup works.
  3. Some new installs with CAVS1.1 freeze up after the first CAVS program update. On these machines, I boot into safe mode, disable the CAVS scanning engine, reboot, uninstall CAVS1.1 and install CAVS2.x. I know that Cavs2 is in beta beta still, but heck it works.
  4. CAVS still sees TightVNC Server as a Virus. We use TightVNC here as a support tool to where I can connect and help users with their problems.

My company email policy is that we kill all executables at the Email server and Dandguardian kills all executable downloads through the web, and thus we’re fairly safe in our little bubble here, which is why Comodo works great for us within our facility.

However I’m finding that our machines “out in the field” which are heavily used for presentations and on the go travel seem to have issues with CAVS, and sadly with These I had to convince the bosses to buy 11 symantecs solution especially since it is rather difficult to troubleshoot issues when they are on the road: recently my main Sales Agent who is 3 time zones away from me was having major issues with CAVS not playing nice with him trying to open up a 200 meg powerpoint presentation (they don’t know anything about compression nor are they willing to learn as “They dont have time” (which is true: he sleeps for 4 hours, does his computer work in the morning from 4am to 10am, and then goes out on the field the rest of the day until he sleeps at midnight).) Anyway it ended up that I had to have him uninstall CAVS, which allowed him to run his Presentation, and then later I had him install Symantec to fill the gap… In this case it was simply a matter of “I need something reliable right now”, with which I wish CAVS was completely ready for. However, when his subscription runs out, I look forward to having a Stable version of CAVS available that I can use: Symantec I have found is to bloated and actually SLOWS DOWN the computer!!! (You wont believe how much of a speed gain I actually got initially when I swapped out Symantec for CAVS) Workstations here at the facility actually run a good percentage FASTER with CAVS than when they had Symantec installed!!

Again: Thanks for the good work, and I look forward to stabler versions!!

Ray

Ray

Thank you very much for this very valuable insight and your trust in us.

We will resolve all these issues you have addressed.
we have a new beta coming up tomorrow. We hope to have addressed majority of the issues (especially critical ones) in this release. We would love to hear from you about these though.

thank you again

Melih

Hi, maybe a little too late and maybe it is already posted, but i’ve got some large mp3 files (200mb, it’s a radio broadcasting) on my computer and the av 1.1 beta couldn’t read this, it hangs/stuck on that file. (Sorry if I’ve chosen the wrong word)
Maybe you can fix this in a new version of comodo anti virus(pyware)
I’m using at this moment avg 7.5 and it can read this file.

otherwise, I look out for the next version of comodo AV!!! (L)

Hi,

There is a new beta (2.0.8.20) available in beta corner of the forums. This fixed a similar bug.

Mike

All right! Thank you! But there’s written that this version only for bèta testers is. I remember me that there were something with February 8th. Am I right?

You can download it and try it.