"Fix the Bugs" time for CAVS :-) (need your help... please read...)

Well the time has come to fix the bugs in CAVS once and for all (the current ones anyway :slight_smile: ). Naturally bugs will continue to raise their heads every so often, but we are now going to “scrum” to knock down quite few bugs off our list!

So here is the list of bugs reported by our users:

-Scan engine taking too much time for some files - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release.
-Scan Engine sticks in some scenarios - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release.
-On Access can not be enabled on some systems - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release.
-On access scanner is not detecting the virus file a second time in some scenarios - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release.
-CAV have issues in coexisting with other AV programs - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release(No issues with KAV & NOD32) .
-New install caused Win XP to appear frozen - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release.
-CAV email scanner frequently gives Comodo Email Proxy Server has encountered a problem and needs to close… - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release.
-Updater and submit options are not working in proxy machines
-Comodo Antivirus License Activation Module is crashing in particular scenario - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release(Now activation is not required).

-Updater modification for updating AllowDB and Some spelling mistakes in Updater - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release.
-Right click scan does not scan the memory first - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release.
-Buffer overrun detected in quarantine window - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release.
-Unhandled exception error from cavsn.exe - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release.
-Buffer overrun detected error in email scanner sometimes - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release.
-Email Scanner is not working with Microsoft Outlook in particular case - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release.
-Email Scanner is not allowing the mail to send if the mail size is more the 2MB - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release.
-Email scanner is not detecting the virus in Incredimail mail - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release.
-Installation and uninstallation problem. - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release.
-CAVS slows my system - Pls help - Email scanner freezes the system while processing the mails. When CPF is installed. - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release.
-Spelling mistakes: a.‘Satuarday.’ b. trial version WILL EXPIRES c. Colour d. viruse in launch pad - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release.
-Problem with “Incoming email scan” and MS Outlook 2003 - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release.
-Incoming e-mail - Connection to Server timed out - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release.
-Exclude from scan not working. - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release.
-While forwarding the forwarded mail in HTML format, Email Scanner is not detected all the viruses
-Comodo Antivirus registration issues - Proxy, Anonymiser, etc Activation problems with ISA Server - - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release.
-Muliple email accounts on thunderbird. - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release.
-On-access compatibility Issues with spywareGuard (error: STEB017)and apache server.
-From Status Page Enabling and disabling AutoUpdater and Email Scanner is not working - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release.
-Working with signed emails.
-Scheduler with regular interval is not working properly
-IE script error in scan scheduler - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release.
-Quarantine of mail attachments gets failed in some scenario - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release.
-All bugs fixing for console scanner - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release.
-Comodo AntiVirus and Comodo AntiSpam conflicts,
-Freezes the PC while scanning - c:..\tempoary internet files\content.ie5\cwoh0ri5 - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release.
-HAL.dll problem - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release.
-schedule scan does not work - https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,2271.0.html - Fixed in CAVS beta2.0 release.
-incompatibility of Oracle tnslistener with CAVS 1.1.
Probably because of changes made in network stack

Please go ahead and check to see if you have reported a bug thats not there or you found a new bug!

Within next few weeks, I want this list marked as “fixed” next to each item :slight_smile: so pls help us by telling us all the bugs u can find.

So pls pls pls help us make this CAVS one of the most stable and bug free AV in the market place.

thank you.

Melih

Melih

I would love to help. But, I still cannot run CAVS (the reason).

Hey Melih,

You seem to have missed the “HAL.DLL missing or corrupted” bug. This is still occuring intermittently, and on my PC it usually occurs after receiving a message dialogue about certain critical system files being replaced.

This last occured after updating to V1.1 of CAVS.

Ewen :slight_smile:

Hi Panic,
We did not get Hal.dll issue from any users after virus definition updates. Can you check it with latest virus definition updates 1.1.1.74?

“This is still occuring intermittently, and on my PC it usually occurs after receiving a message dialogue about certain critical system files being replaced.” - When this system message dialog appears. You can find the name application which is trying to replace the system files after clicking for more details.
Also do you get any virus alert message from on-access scanner / on-demand scanner before you face this problem.
If yes, pl let us know the name of file in alert message and its version.

I hadn’t received any virus warnings before receiving the “certain critical system files being replaced” message.

The “certain critical system files being replaced” doesn’t display any info about what files have been replaced, just that they have. Once this error message has been displayed, the “missing or corrupt hal.dll” error will occur after the next reboot.

I’ve restored from a system image and will re-download CAVS this evening and check the definitions version and post back.

Thanks for the speedy response,

“I hadn’t received any virus warnings before receiving the “certain critical system files being replaced” message.”
It means, there is no false/ positive detection related to hal.dll issue.
Before installation of setup just verify its digital signature signig time: Thursday, June 08, 2006 7:49:44 PM and size:25,591,352 bytes
The latest virus definition updates are available only through updates.

Guys
One point that I think is very important and thats the reduction of memory used.
shadha

Downloaded setup.exe again tonight (my time) - details as follows;

Digital Sig Info : Friday, 9 June 2006 12:19:44 AM
Size : 25,591,808 bytes

Are these correct?

ewen :slight_smile:

modified :
Installation file downloaded from antivirus.comodo.com still uses Installshield.
First update pulls down a large quantity of definition updates and 12 program updates.
Definition version now shows as 1.1.1.47

e.

Also add this to the list:
Warhammer’s post: “I would like it to stop asking me if I REALLY want to close the scan window. I clicked the ‘x’, so YES I want it CLOSED!”

and have a look at Kirby’s post.

The both digital signature and size of setup.exe you got after download is wrong.
It must be
signature signig time: Thursday, June 08, 2006 7:49:44 PM
size:25,591,352 bytes

It seems that the setup.exe is tampered while downloading. Download it from http://antivirus.comodo.com without any downlaod manager program and again check its digital sign and size.

The setup on server still uses installshield which will be removed in next version.

Me half bad.

DOH. The size I qouted was the file size, as opposed to the size on disk, which is the figure you’ve quoted. My downloaded file shows the correct size on disk, but the time stamp is still as I previously posted. It’s running OK, however.

Is this still OK?

Rgds,

P.S. I don’t use download managers.

I had quoted the actual file size that must be
file size:25,591,352 bytes.

Just for information, the file size on disk could vary on different system according to ‘sectors per cluster’ size.

Opps! The ‘digital signing time’ could vary according to the local time zone. Panic, you are getting digital signing time: Friday, 9 June 2006 12:19:44 AM because your time zone may be GMT+10. So thats ok.

I think instead of digital signing time checking we should check for Message Digest which can be found on “Digital Signature Details-> Advance”.
Message Digest:
04 10 2E 87 C2 48 42 9F
37 59 3A B7 7B 9E DF BC
2D C0

In my next post I will provide the files to enable the log creation which could give us more details.

When I first found COMODO I thought wow, a free antivirus program you can actually use at a place of business without charge. Great until I loaded it into my server and crashed the whole system. All the computers at work had no access to the pos system for about three hours while I tried frantically to fix the problem. As we are a retail business I don’t need to explain how painfull that was. Well after restarting the system 5 or so times all seemed to work. Speed was back up and programs operating normally, whew!! That is until I restarted after an update to COMODO. Down the system went again as slow as ever. After an hour +/- to reboot I was finally able to access the add remove programs and nuked it, which was a painfully slow process as well. Also when it was up and running while installed the scanner would not work, stopping after a minute or so with an error of “engine initialization failed.” All in all I guess the old saying, “you get what you pay for” applies here.

Well, Since you are asking -

Now that my “Win XP appears to be Frozen after updating” issue has been resolved (and yes, Thank You). There seems to be a little related sluggishness when starting programs (then, once active, those proggies also tend to be a little sluggy); But not so badly that it locks up, just sluggy.
A small problem that I can survive with until a new update is released. I will periodically check back to see.

Thank You Very Much.

:wink:

Rossman

I don’t use 1.1 beta, but IF next stable release will have all these bugs fixed I’m sure I’ll go for it! (L)

You are so negative its not funny!
Pls explain how that “old saying” apply to CPF then!!!

sws33, CAV is beta, we are looking for help in identifying bugs so that we can fix them so that “you” can have a stable and “free” AV product and constant (daily) update “service” for free!

I am sorry for the tone of the post, but I think you are being unfair with that “old saying” while we are spending our money, our time, our resources to build “you” a “free” product and a “free service”!

thanks
Melih

Haven’t you read that it’s still BETA?! Well if not… it’s your fault. Betas usually don’t play to well on all computers. Beta is for people who know how to deal with such early versions of a program. If you can’t understand it it’s not Comodo’s problem.

Don’t get angry. Many people say some things, when they have no idea about them :wink:

(J) (R) (V)

No worries Melih - I think for the most part people get it.

Thank you, and don’t let the buggers get to ya!

Cool, I got a star, now. Thanks again!

Rm

not angry but just Frustrated :slight_smile:

I don’t think what we are doing justifies those statements and we have proven that statement totally wrong with CPF and soon with CAVS! (:LGH)

Melih

Please understand that this is still a beta product, a newer version is scheduled this month around September 18th. However that date may be subject to change. The new CAVS will have major bug fixes, and new features, including HIPS. This product is currently a beta, and Comodo is working on it everyday to make it better.

~Justin