Favorite sports team?

Dch, it would be nice if you could give some links to back up those statements, and so I can read more.

It is going to be hard as it is absolute medical nonsense.

No protein is able to account for glycemia, and advocating peanut butter is not a good nutriment in this regard because the sugar source mainly comes from lipidic degradation, and is therefore relatively slow.
Good nutriments for immediately stopping hypoglycemia are fast sugars, e.g. sugar itself or dried fruits, whereas its prevention comes from slow sugars.

Excess sugar and fat of course do not create type 2 diabetes, but definitely decompense the disease, as type 2 diabetes comes from the insufficient natural insulin production in regard of the sugar having to be metabolized.
A recent medical study shows that Ramadan is responsible of 20 to 30% of new type 2 diabetes events in some countries because of the excess of sugar and fats in evening meals.

Concerning greens, the cellulose is not digestible (and not present in all greens) and its caloric value is zero.

Moderate grain apports are recommended in diabetes as to be preferred to fast sugars, and no one can live without glucidic apport, excepting short periods of controlled proteic diets whose goal is to make disappear the fat reserves, sugars themselves not being stocked.
Once the overweight is gone, there’s absolutely no reason to totally cut slow sugars in order not to gain weight, and such a diet practice is dangerous.

And mister everybody alimentation is not to cut any particular food, particularly not slow sugars: it is to have varied and moderate apports of every type of food.

Jesus Christ, y’all get a sports thread in front of you, the only one on the forum mind you, and you use it to discuss glycemia and cellulose and God knows what else. 88)

I’m not one to scream about what somebody posts on “my topic” (especially when I recognize most of the subsequent posters), but really?

If all I get from you guys is rugby, Aussie rules, and cricket hell I’ll pick one of those, even though I know very little about any of them, but a science lesson? :-TD

Laser, you started this ■■■■. 88)

Please, you can go on and on about Belgium sports or whatever else you like but realize that Americans (for all our other faults) are the main reason major sports are what they are.

Hard to discusss anything if only America, baseball, football and basketball are said to be wort something in collective sports.

What about, e.g., handball altough it is originally a german sport?

Okay I won’t post any links or answer everything except to say that doctors DO recommend peanut butter to Hypoglycemics. It was recommended to me, a borderline case, and to a friend who had a more severe case. The part about sugar not being fattening in and of itself is also established fact and I never said cellulose had any caloric value. In fact I said exactly the opposite. I also said that some of my statements were solely my contentions.

That’s all I will have to say.

Now back to sports. I would rather watch Golf than Soccer, Rugby, Basketball, Hockey, Cricket, or Martial Arts.

ROFL.

The sport with the largest resgistered player base GLOBALLY is netball. Sorry to disappoint all the big butch blokey-blokes, but netball is the most widely played sport. ;D

Ewen :slight_smile:

P.S. It also has the highest percentages of knee injuries of any sport.

Dch48: you have made very good points!

Watasha:- Do Americans not know when they’re being wound up? I will say the biggest sporting event globally is the FIFA World Cup! American sports I’ve never really liked them but hey it’s a big world & some obviously do. Don’t confuse how much money a sport makes compared to it’s appeal! Why? Angling is the most participated sport in the UK but football makes more money $$$$$$$$$$$$$ G&H know this.

Bowling is also very widely participated in and you hardly ever see it on TV any more. When I was young, the Pro Bowlers Tour was on every weekend and I watched it avidly.

I have 2 questions:
When did Poker ever become a sport and why is it on ESPN? If Poker is a sport, then so is Chess. In fact, Chess requires far more skill to play at the highest levels.

What in the world is Netball? ;D

Just think basketball with bibs

Dch48…you can post whatever you like, I was only half-serious. I did want a sports thread on the forum though. BTW, the poker thing drives me crazy, ESPN has made me not even wanna play the game at all. It’s not a sport and if this TV exposure keeps up they’re going to kill it altogether. It has (thank God) died down recently though.

stuartm…what do you mean about Americans being “wound up”? I love fishing but it’s nopt a “spectator sport”, hence the reason that it doesn’t make the money. I never said money reflected the quality of the sport but in a way it kinda does. Think about it; A kid normally grows up wanting to play baseball, football, and basketball in the U.S. and you can’t overlook the fact that you can make waaaay more money in these sports than hockey or soccer. If most of the superior athletes overlook your sport for another, your sport suffers.

When did Poker ever become a sport and why is it on ESPN? If Poker is a sport, then so is Chess.

There’s an internationall sport federation of…bridge.

This status gets some of the players (they are not always young) in trouble as the international sport doping rules apply in competition, e.g., one can be disqualified if using beta blockers.

The same observation applies to horse riding excepting the fact that, even if some of the competitors are not young, it of course does not have the same physical exigence then sprint, but is nevertheless a real sport not only for the horse.

You’re all wrong. All of you!

There’s only one sport, and that’s Cricket.

I guess I wasn’t normal then. 88)

Well, it’s a start on eliminating all sports! :a0 :-TU

For those who don’t know what “netball” is, here is what highlighting the word and pressing Ctrl + Alt + W says: A team game that resembles basketball; a soccer ball is to be thrown so that it passes through a ring on the top of a post

I stopped at the word “basketball”. It is worse than all the others. 88)

(For the curious, my dictionary WordWeb is quite handy. Just highlighting a word and pressing a key combination is useful when you aren’t sure of a word. I’ve learned a lot from it. Tabs that include Wikipedia and Wiktionary are nice too.)

I do honestly wish we had cricket, AFL and rugby in the U.S.

Laser…I keep wondering why I like you… 88)

There is a strong element of athleticism in the horse riding sports especially in thoroughbred racing. There is no athleticism in playing cards or board games. Having an international federation for these things is fine so tournaments and rankings can be set up but does that make them sports? I say no.

Cricket? wasn’t that Pinocchio’s friend? >:-D

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/4485/mcfch.png

Wound up? Bated into a light hearted argument. Angling gets plenty of airtime in the USA I think ! Needless to say American sports do indeed pay handsomely the USA is a big televisual sporting land. Although I would err on the side of football(soccer) being globally bigger than say American football. Look at this way if USA had won the FIFA world cup back in 1994 football would now be immense in the USA because of footballs global appeal. Global appeal = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Ps I agree with you this is a sporting debate if I want nutritional education I’ll eat a dictionary.
Pps If I do watch American football well then it’s the redskins & down with Americas team Dallas!
Ppps Any team owned by G & H

[attachment deleted by admin]

There is a strong element of athleticism in the horse riding sports especially in thoroughbred racing. There is no athleticism in playing cards or board games. Having an international federation for these things is fine so tournaments and rankings can be set up but does that make them sports? I say no.

Even high level jumping is very athletic, and even if not jumping, sustained horse dressage is a huge physical strain.

Everyone saying the opposite should try a basic less than 4 feet 12 to 15 jumps competition.

I am not the one saying that bridge is a sport, The IOC and international sports federations say so:

Air sports, billiards, bridge, chess, motorcycle racing, and powerboating are all recognized as sports by the International Olympic Committee with their world governing bodies represented in the Association of the IOC Recognised International Sports Federations.[8]
([i]In[/i]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport#cite_note-7)

Not being as excessive, one could also wonder what the sportive value of several new olympic disciplines (like synchronous swimming and “pom-pom girls” gymnastics) is.

Nevertheless, whatever sport rule applies to them…including anti-doping rules.

Someone spoke of localized activities in Belgium, and there most certainly is one in southern France, with its dedicated world championship, and also claiming to be a sport:

“Baited”? Who was baited? Soccer will NEVER be on par with the big 3 in America, we could win 5 World Cups and it wouldn’t matter. We simply haven’t got room for another major sport, we’re already keeping Hockey alive for Canada! ;D

Global appeal is great but it doesn’t equal $$$ in a country that doesn’t pay attention to it. The Redskins are okay but why Dallas is referred to as “Americas Team” I don’t know, half of America hates Dallas. >:-D

Did you know that over 150,000 fans showed up in the state of Alabama for Auburn University & The University of Alabama’s SPRING GAMES? For those of you that don’t know, that’s a PRACTICE. CFB is HUGE in the South. The big 6 in the SEC (Southeastern Conference) college football teams make more than many Pro franchises in any sport. Baseball is now big in the Latin countries as well as Asia. American sports is farther reaching than you think. :wink:

Insular in sport as in life America does best if it not ignore it! As I said globally football is bigger than any American sport including sitting in your armchair channel hopping! Dallas I’ve heard them called America’s team maybe they’re the Man utd of America ? Oh by the way how many hotdogs were sold that day?

Most Frequently Cited Ranked Lists

1. Football: 3.3-3.5 billion fans (Europe, Africa, Asia, Americas, etc.)
  2. Cricket: 2-3 billion fans (India, UK, Pakistan, Asia, Australia, etc.)
  3. Field hockey: 2-2.2 billion fans (Asia, Europe, Africa, Australia)
  4. Tennis: Around 1 billion fans (Europe, Americas, Asia)
  5. Volleyball: Around 900 million fans (Asia, Europe, Americas, Australia)
  6. Table tennis: Around 900 million fans (Asia, Europe, Africa, Americas)
  7. Baseball: Around 500 million fans (US, Japan, Cuba, Dominican Republic)
  8. Golf: Around 400 million fans (US, Canada, Europe)
  9. Gridiron (American football): 390-410 million fans (US mainly)
  10. Basketball: Not more than 400 million fans (US, Canada mainly)