Favorite sports team?

Real MEN don’t wear padding. ;D

Okay well what kind of a bloody thread is this? No Favorite Martial Artist/Karate guy? 88)

Anyway…

Australian NRL: West Tigers
Soccer: Arsenal

And for the sake of Fighters… Bruce Lee, Dan Van. My Idols. :slight_smile: I also can’t believe some of you dislike sport! No bloody way! :o Sport personally is my passion. :slight_smile: I LOVE Sport and Fitness and gosh I’ll participate every day in a thread about sport. :wink: (And yes, I was kidding about how I questioned about this thread and how some of you dislike sport :D)).

EDIT: Thread Made for those following human combat :slight_smile:

Wow… Excuse me while I throw up. 88)

I can feel a repeat of 2005 for the Tigers Ewen!

Fighting is great Josho, unfortunately the Sweet Science (my choice) has been total ■■■■ for years. Until there is a unified governing body for boxing it will stay total ■■■■. 88)

Exactly, I used to love boxing until Don King ruined it. Years ago, everybody knew who the heavyweight champion was and he was recognized everywhere he went and was a celebrity on TV. Now, I bet not even one person out of ten could tell you who even one of the 3 or 4 so-called champions are. I couldn’t tell you myself. More people know John Cena than any of the boxers these days. I really couldn’t care less about UFC or MMA either but I do watch Monday Night Raw every week for the entertainment value.

Most people probably couldn’t name even one heavyweight. That’s SAD. A great example of what greed will do. >:(

Tigers?? Meow!

Take out Benji and you got nothing in attack. Same as we used to rely too much on Jarryd, Benji IS your team. If he pops another shoulder or knee, you’re gone!! Goooooone!! :wink:

In relation to Martial Arts, It’s a great benefit. Helps you build confidence, self-esteem, balance, and best of all you are able to defend your self IF you ever have to defend your self. It also keeps you fit. It’s honestly one of the best sports you can do… No other sport can help you defend your self. But hopefully, you will never have too and try to avoid those situations.

Er…I feel like I’m replying to something ancient, the way this thread grew so fast. 88)

Yes, sitting at a computer is way down, health-wise. But so is sitting on a couch eating chips and whatnot, watching others on TV. Especially at the Super Bowl. 88)

Let’s compare them ;D :

Watching sports:

1. Often eat while watching…eating JUNK … -1
  2. Nothing to learn really besides about the sport itself…lit that would be useful. -1
  3. Bad for eyes. -1
  4. You can’t really control what you watch…it just all comes at you. (I guess some may like this, for no -1)

= -3

Sitting at computer:

1. Often are typing…so not eating as much. +1
  2. Can learn about anything someone can stuff on Wikipedia, a lot of which will be beneficial sometime. +1
  3. Bad for eyes. -1
  4. You are in control. You can do what you like best, and watch it too. (As said, the greatness of this may be disputed. So not counting.)

=1

(Computing) 1 > (Watching TV) -3.

Now playing sports is a totally different matter. That is mostly good, considering exercise. However, (1) some serious injuries quite possible, and (2) some people on sports teams are bad influences.

But martial arts is better. To do, I mean (not watch :D). Self-protection is quite nice. 88)

Too bad you also get injured too, I would think.

I don’t do much martial arts, beside a little of fencing. But I thinking old Josho wouldn’t consider that as one. 88)

So my main source of exercise is running and some weight-lifting. I just wish we had a treadmill…those cost a bit much though. :frowning:

I thought all boxing, etc. on TV was staged. ;D

Off course you risk injury playing Sport.

But in the case of Martial Arts, there is ALOT more positive things out of that then “Injuries” (Which do happen… But you risk it). And on top if you eat well, drink water every day combining that with Martial Arts will simply help you live longer. :slight_smile:

Laser, you wouldn’t last very long in Alabama Hoss. 88) I can’t help it if a “fake woman doll” thread grows faster than a sports thread on a computer forum, we ARE on a forum that allows Ganda to be a Mod here ya know. 88)

Anyway, what are some sports that are very regionalized or really big in one country? I know of a few.

I have seen and heard of some of the injuries that sports do to you (almost as much as a trampoline + basketball goal 88)), and decided that running and not-extremely-heavy weight-lifting was best. 88)

Running alone doesn’t give you much motivation though…unless you are running from someone… :-\

I eat better than most young people. :stuck_out_tongue:

Fruit, veggies, no soda, a lot of water when at home, minimal artificial, dyed, and processed foods, “green smoothies” (vegetable & fruit smoothies…greens do wonders).

I have a weakness for a cup of soda when it is sitting out at a friend’s house or something. 88) Funny how it doesn’t really quench your thirst, unlike water.

You can put “something” into it and it may help. 8)

Exercise is something I need more of. After I got out of HS sports I got out of shape. It’s funny, I look like I’m in great shape, I just feel like ■■■■. :smiley:

I have to disagree, water never quenches my thirst, it just dries out my throat and makes me have to drink more and get bloated. Anything with sugar in it, like soda or sweetened Koolaid, coats my throat and satisfies my thirst a lot better. This is probably because I have to breathe through my mouth 95 % of the time due to obstructed nostrils from a deviated septum that was never repaired.
I never drink plain water, I hate it.

I’m 62 years old, eat very few greens (only peas, green beans, and once in a while, cabbage) but all the red meat I can get my hands on and I’m 5’10" and weigh 142 pounds. I never exercise either except for infrequent walks or yard work. I take no medications for anything either and have never smoked or been much of a drinker. I hate ■■■■ and only have a weak mixed drink maybe 3 times a year. I have always had a very high metabolism that has only slowed down a little with age. I need to eat proteins and yes, fats, to keep my blood sugar up. Veggies and fruits just don’t do it.

Not everyone has a very high metabolism. ;D

Though sometimes I wish I do. 88)

Water usually helps me…a few times it doesn’t, though. But sweetened drinks cause me to want more and more and get more sugars and other junk in my body.

Weight compared to size/height isn’t everything, you know. 88)

Football - Liverpool FC
Rugby League - St Helens
Rugby Union - no one just like American football bunch of tarts
Cricket - Lancashire CCC
Aussie Rules - same as Rugby Union
Any American sport useless baseball = Rounders, basketball = netball
Now desist with this topic or I’ll start on Belgiums sports!

Signed The Voice Of Reason!!!

I need to eat proteins and yes, fats, to keep my blood sugar up. Veggies and fruits just don't do it.
Proteins are not related to blood sugar, altough some meats, and also the way you cook them could respectively account for a significative proportion of hidden or visible fat.

Fats are also only indirectly related to blood sugar, as fats only provides carbohydrates through the Krebs cycle either when real sugars are missing or when the global apport of fats is excessive.

The excessive consumption both of fat and fast sugars, together with the under consumption of fruits, vegetables and a reasonable amount of slow sugars and lack of physical activity, is directly related to overweight, diabete and cardio-vascular diseases in most of northern hemisphere countries, the world champion in this domain being the United States.

Proteins are directly related to blood sugar. Hypoglycemic people are told to eat high amounts of proteins. Peanut butter is always recommended because of the high protein as well as the amount of carbohydrates.

As far as sugar goes, the only thing it directly causes is tooth decay. Contrary to popular belief, sugar is not fattening and does not cause diabetes. It can aggravate an already existing diabetic condition but can not contribute to causing it. Sugar is the first thing the body burns for energy and the only reason people get fat is because they eat too many other things along with the sugar. Since the body will burn off the sugar first, it may not need the energy from the other foods so it can be stored as fat. The sugar itself is not fattening but can indirectly lead to weight gain for overeaters or people with slow metabolisms. It is my contention that greens are more fattening than meats because once again, the meats are broken down faster than the vegetables (where the cellulose in the cell walls has to broken down before the nutrients are accessed). Look at the animal kingdom. All the meat eaters are lean and mean. It’s the plant eaters that are fat and slow. The fattening foods are grains and other things like potatoes. A basic rule is to cut down or even avoid eating anything white (wheat products, rice, potatoes, etc.) if you have a problem with gaining weight.

People like me with fast metabolisms can pretty much eat whatever and as much as they like without ever gaining weight. I get light headed if I don’t eat at least every 5 or 6 hours and I have to have proteins or I get very bad headaches.

Maybe a split to a health thread? :stuck_out_tongue:

Sugar, not fat, is biggest threat

Dch, it would be nice if you could give some links to back up those statements, and so I can read more. :wink:

I enjoyed your list until this. Huh? NETBALL? 88) Why is it that Americans have perfected sports, from fans to economics to whatever else, and the world growls at us instead of trying to follow suit? ???

Please, you can go on and on about Belgium sports or whatever else you like but realize that Americans (for all our other faults) are the main reason major sports are what they are. :wink: