Enhanced Protection Mode + VT Causes Nvidia Driver Installations to Fail [M1778]

So, the solution is to close the GUI of Comodo. Not disabling any of its protection features? What within Windows conflicts with the ForceWare that you have to close Comodo’s GUI in order to make it work?

A bug within Windows. something they did.

Windows 7 x32 Nvidia Driver Update
CIS v.8.2.0.4792
24439 bases
Exit CIS
Update Drivers Nvidia Ok
CIS Scan files evaluation result 4 unknown
Files Nvidia unknown group
Windows 10 Pro x64 - Windows 7 Pro x64 - Windows 7 Pro x32
(I’m french)

[attachment deleted by admin]

There are some NVIDIA signed files that are not trusted by Comodo and you can’t even add that certificate as trusted yourself. Which is stupid, but that’s how it is. At least it gets skipped by Auto-Sandbox since they arrived from a trusted installer and are thus automatically treated as trusted even though they show up as Unrecognized.

I’ve installed the latest driver again, this time exiting CIS interface and installation went fine. I don’t understand how this isn’t stickied anywhere on this forum. You can’t possibly know such scenario is Windows’s fault, but you have to disable Comodo to resolve it. People’s reaction will be the same as mine. After Comodo removal, everything will be fine and people will naturally blame it on Comodo. Potentially not installing and using it ever again.

as stated, the issue lies with MicroSoft
They resolved it with a recent build update
Now if you are not on the fast ring, please drop this completely, and wait for the RS build release next summer.

“drop this”

Seriously? I was implying it would be smart to make a sticky about it so people know why this is happening and what’s REALLY causing this and instead, you’re threatening me again. If that’s your way of helping Comodo, then let me tell you, you’re doing it wrong. Threatening people who want answers and recommend things so others wont’ have to go through the same is NOT how you improve things. Jesus.

Could you please be more specific? Which Buildnumber will be fixed?
I have the Issue on Win10pro v1511 build 10586.164 and I only use the Firewall v8.2.0.4792 no hips,viruscope or sandbox.
Installation is only possible when I close Comodo Firewall via Tray-menu. Without Comodo it’s working fine, so I ask myself why is it a MS problem?
thanks

I was also interested in details how a GUI of some program can interfere with drivers in such a way and still be a problem within Windows. And then I was called all sorts of things simply for asking about details that I was somehow suppose to already know.

The build number was one of the 14000 after the Fall release of TH2, somewhere after December 9. I remember this issue was discussed, and the build in question was confirmed by another Mod to have resolved the issue. I just cannot locate that post to give you the specific build number.
There have been no issues installing Nvidia drivers since then.

Do you by any chance remember what was a technical reason for a 3rd party app to invoke a Windows problem like this?

Since it has been fixed for sometime by Microsoft.

The best way forward for you is to ask them :slight_smile:

Asking Comodo to say what the problem was, or is for you I afraid is a waste of time, as like you they are not previ. to Windows 10 code.

Dennis

NVIDIA Driver Installations Fail with Enhance Protection Mode + VT Enabled)
Can you reproduce the problem & if so how reliably?:
Yes
If you can, exact steps to reproduce. If not, exactly what you did & what happened:
1:On a fresh installation of Windows 10 64-bit and CIS, enable Enhanced Protection Mode and ensure VT support is enabled in BIOS
2:Download GeForce Release 358.50 (Geforce Driver Results | NVIDIA) and reboot the system to Safe Mode
3. Install GeForce Release 358.50, which will be successful, and reboot the system back to normal mode.
4. Download the latest GeForce Release 364.72 (Geforce Driver Results | NVIDIA) and attempt to install it
One or two sentences explaining what actually happened:
The installation package for 364.72 will say “NVIDIA Installer Failed”, and state that it failed to install the Graphics Driver
One or two sentences explaining what you expected to happen:
The setup program saying the installation was successful
If a software compatibility problem have you tried the advice to make programs work with CIS?:
Not applicable
Any software except CIS/OS involved? If so - name, & exact version:
Nvidia GeForce Game Ready Drivers for Windows 10 64-bit (364.72, latest release used in replication steps, potentially affects ALL Nvidia GeForce driver versions)
Any other information, eg your guess at the cause, how you tried to fix it etc:
Disabling Enhanced Protection Mode, disabling VT support in BIOS, or uninstalling CIS corrects the problem. On a fresh installation of Windows 10, it is possible to install the latest release in normal mode with CIS’s Enhanced Protection Mode + VT support enabled successfully, but future driver versions or attempts to reinstall the latest release will fail in the exact same manner. If someone has already installed the driver on a fresh OS installation with Enhanced Protection Mode + VT Support enabled at the time, they will need to reboot to Safe Mode and use programs such as Revo Uninstaller Pro and Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to wipe the drivers clean. After this is done, it is possible to install the latest driver while EPM + VT Support is still enabled, but future releases will fail to install. Only by disabling Enhanced Protection Mode, VT Support, or uninstalling CIS can the problem be prevented with any installation of Nvidia Drivers.

Note specifically that 358.50 is the last Nvidia Driver release that can be installed in Safe Mode, as newer versions beyond it have included Microsoft Visual C++ 2008/2010 Redistributables and error messages will result if you attempt to install a newer release in Safe Mode because of that. Using 358.50 and the latest release as of this posting as described above is the best way to replicate the problem.

B. YOUR SETUP
Exact CIS version & configuration:
Modules enabled & level. D+/HIPS, Autosandbox/BBlocker, Firewall, & AV:
All modules that are enabled by default on a fresh installation of CIS are enabled
Have you made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.):
Enabled Enhanced Protection Mode under HIPS. HIPS itself is not enabled.
Have you updated (without uninstall) from CIS 5, 6 or 7?:
No
if so, have you tried a a a clean reinstall - if not please do?:
No
Have you imported a config from a previous version of CIS:
No
if so, have you tried a standard config - if not please do:
No
OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, V.Machine used:
Windows 10 64-bit, UAC enabled with defaults, Adminstrator account, no virtual machine
Other security/s’box software a) currently installed b) installed since OS, including initial trial security software included with system:
a=No b=No

[attachment deleted by admin]

I would like to point out that the issue I’m encountering sounds similar in nature to another thread here - https://forums.comodo.com/bug-reports-cis/cis-failing-nvidia-forceware-driver-installationupdate-t114852.0.html

On this thread however, they have not come to the conclusion of Enhanced Protected Mode as I have. Then again, it may be an entirely separate issue. I’ve only known to check Enhanced Protected Mode on the basis that I have had to file bug reports for other programs having conflicts with it in the past.

I would like to add to the discussion that I am encountering a similar issue with my Nvidia driver installations failing and I believe the problem has to do with Enhanced Protected Mode. The problem does not occur if I flat out uninstall CIS or disable Enhanced Protected Mode. I would suggest either disabling Enhanced Protected Mode, disabling your VT support in BIOS, or uninstalling CIS and trying again, if you’re still encountering the problem.

https://forums.comodo.com/bug-reports-cis/enhanced-protected-mode-vt-causes-nvidia-driver-installations-to-fail-t115152.0.html

Since this last Windows update, build 14295, I have to exit CIS again to install Nvidia drivers.
No big deal for me, but M$ needs to get their bugs worked out.

The issue disappeared with a (Win10) fall build. It has resurfaced with build 14295.

Hello,

Can you replicate this issue every time?

Thanks.

Yes. If CIS has Enhanced Protection Mode (VT support bios enabled) on and you are under a freshly updated clean install of Windows 10 64-bit, you can install the latest release just fine. However, future releases and attempts to reinstall the same release again will fail because you installed it while EHP was fully active. Only by wiping the driver with Revo/DDU under Safe Mode can you put a new release back on under EHP

The underlying problem and reason for this report is that successful nvidia driver installations on a fresh OS install (fully updated) will cause the next driver release to fail every time. The replication steps are intended to install at least some driver version as a baseline in Safe Mode and then have the failure appear when updating to the latest release while EHP is active.

Thank you very much for your report in standard format, with all information supplied. The care you have taken is much appreciated by Comodo, and will increase the likelihood that this bug can be fixed.

Developers may or may not communicate with you in the forum or by PM/IM, depending on time availability and need. Because you have supplied complete information they may be able to replicate and fix the bug without doing so.

Many thanks again.