Drive Sentry [merged thread]

Hi Kyle,

I noticed the interest and the love for me and DriveSentry…thats why im here!!!

Yes we are fully aware of the problems with LUA’s and we are working hard to rectify this.

Will keep you posted.

thanks

Kate :■■■■

Ganda…wait your turn!!!

1. Yes DS is more advanced than standard AV products as it combines AV, AS and HIPs along with blacklist, whitelist and community stats…so basically…http://www.drivesentry.com DRIVESENTRY doesnt miss a trick! Features such as webshield/mail scanner are in our very near future plans.

2. DS has one of the largest blacklists of known malware with over 1.2 million unique virus signatures. This is as big if not bigger than the blacklist of Symantec who have collected the same amount of signature in 25 years as DS has in just 5! See the article below…

3. DriveSentry does not recommend running two or more security apps which take on the same role…as we know this can cause conflicts.

Subscription Offers From Just £3 | Computeractive Malware Multiplies to over a million

Thanks for your interest…its nice to share the knowledge of DS which has been quoted as the ‘future of AV software’ [Tech Advisor: Tech Reviews, News, Tutorials & Buying Advice PC Advisor]

thanks Ganda…speak soon

Kate (:TNG)

Star Shadow…Hi!!!

We currently have developers working on the 64 bit version of DS so it shouldnt be too long now. I will let everyone know when it is available.

thanks

Kate. (:AGL)

So this is a full automate Threatfire combined with the power of Defense + ? This will be a great competitive program for CIS :). I’ll be more than happy to follow the next development of DS and I’m find it good, more and more products are turning to Whitelisting with Blacklisting instead of just Blacklisting.

Xan

Great! I can’t wait. I can put DS on one computer in my house since it’s 32 bit XP, but the other 2 are 64 bit Vista. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it’s quite good, but hell, do something about the updater… It takes hours…

Xan

when i start up my pc i get this error

it says it couden’t read/or write something on the memory. Nice program though

!ot! Well my god : another dutch speaking member :BNC :BNC

Errr… for some reason, DS isn’t giving me any pop-ups, even when running (and failing) spycar tests…

Xan

EDIT : it is now :), but even when I allow it, it blocks some stuff

Webbie be sure your doing complete uninstalls of your security first. You have changed your security set more times in the past 48 hours then anyone I have ever seen.

It only took a few minutes in trickle mode on my Pentium 4 2 GHz machine with WinXP Pro. I have already done a full scan on that machine since my last post as well. I would have posted sooner, but I had to go to the Post Office.

DS is really nice. :smiley: I like it. Now I need to wait for the 64 bit version. :THNK Just tapping my fingers.

haha i know, in 2 days i used twisted,avg,and drive sentry. I will try again tommorow and post more details ;D

When the ad visor component is used often the pop up window moves too fast… Could this be slowed down, or given the option for ALERT\Pop-up windows to be slown down?

Katie, Since no body has yet experienced problems with CPF3 and DS, Why should users use drive sentry on top of CPF3? What are the benefits?

And ganda, Your hilarious man. I was crying with laughter after I saw your post and picture, You made my day!

well, I’m giving it a go… disabled D+ just in case + HIPS in Rising. DS installed OK, updated definitions OK, rebooted all hunky dory. Complete system scan - nothing found… hurrah!

A few questions…

On boot up DS tells me I’m protected with a little pop-up. This happens each time I’ve re-booted (so far), can this be disabled?

The tray icon is red 99% of the time. It Flashes green occasionally (for a second or two). Is this normal? There is no indication of any issues in the drive sentry window or log etc. Normally for most programs red = bad, green good So was wondering …

Under “access”, the programs listed 100% of advisors have “deny”-ed windows messenger. Seems slightly odd?? There is no indication of how many have done this, it may just be one I guess?

Logs - is there anyway of disabling logging for allowed events?

That is it for now…!

Thanks in advance,
Roy

hey ROY,
I think by default more than 20 users have to allow or deny an application for DS to make an automated decision (This can be checked in settings) As for the pop up window, I have no idea sorry. And when the man flashes green it means it’s connecting to the advisor to see what the community is saying about that program

today i get the chance to see DS in action. it catch a malware from a flashdisk & immediately quarantine it. but few seconds after that, i get this “Drivesentry encounter a problem and need to close…” and then my comp crash. i need to do hard shutdown (twice 88). after rebooting, i try the bloody flashdisk again & got the same result.

XP SP2 media center edition
other security software:
CFP3

edit:
found & merged several similar posts (:m*) :P0l

I remember trying this out for a short-lived test last year and wasn’t impressed at a few quirks and irritating bugs.However I’ve just tried the latest version and have to say it’s a lightweight and impressive little application.It uses a whitelist/blacklist/community combo and so far it’s passed the few tests I’ve thrown at it 100%.No issues at all with CFP or Avira so I’ll leave it on and see how it performs over time. :■■■■

DriveSentry also has a 1.4Mil blacklist and community support which makes it very quiet you can slow the popups down by editing the time they are displayed on the options screen ‘pop up speed’ just adjust the slider

We understand that red usually means danger but our company logo is red and so the system tray with the sentry in his red tunic is normal. When the Sentry quickly changes into his green tunic it is notifying you that a write operation has been allowed. If the Sentry icon changes into Khaki uniform then it is alerting you that DriveSentry requires a little attention (synchronise database or update software) but you are still protected. If you are unlucky enough to see a Sentry in a black uniform on a red background this is to alert you that DriveSentry has trapped some malware.

When your system starts and DriveSentry is launched we display the bubble to inform you that you are protected there is no way of turning this bubble off but it quickly fades away and should not hinder you as you compute.

We will be working on our log files to allow filters etc in a future version but right now there is no way to turn off logging of allowed events.

We understand that the 100% deny looks a bit strange but once a program has been whitelisted by DriveSentry then we do not require further input from Advisors and so the file may well remain 100% deny by the advisor community but allowed by DriveSentry. As DriveSentry looks at the whitelist first it will not require input from the community and so although it looks strange the product is protecting. We are looking into how we can change the way we display this information in a future release so it is less confusing.

You can modify the rules for anything running to effectively block any process you wish to writing to a file or the registry.

Hi Xan,

Do you mean that the signature update takes hours? Do you have a weak Internet connection as we have not had many problems with updating…infact its rather speedy!!

thanks

Kate.