Dragon 33 - Flash Player issues workaround!

Stand-alone PPAPI Flash Player (debugger, beta): http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer.html

Unless you intend CD to only be used by computer techies or power users, expecting your average computer user to be willing and able to do all of this is ridiculous. Flash Player is still crashing and I should not have to do this. How long will it take before Comodo fix the problem?

That is not needed to do with Dragon 33.1, which will automatically detect and use PepperFlash if it is installed.

Yes that does work but again should not be necessary to do.

Absolutely. I have 33.1 and it should work ‘out of the box’ without me having to go through considerable hassle to get it to do so. Comodo has some great products but this is no longer one of them. Back to Chrome for me.

What should not be necessary to do?
Comodo cannot distribute PepperFlash with Dragon for licensing reasons, which means that users need to get it in some other way, either by installing Chrome, or by installing the debugger-version (currently beta), which is distributed by Adobe.
The situation is the same for all Chromium based browsers (including Opera) except Chrome.

Simply saying it’s the same problem for all Chromium based browsers is hardly constructive. It should NOT be necessary to do this. A browser should work without having to do any of this. If it is not possible to get CD to work ‘out of the box’ due to licensing problems then, as far as i, and I’m sure, many others are concerned, then that’s the end for Dragon.

If you want to use Flash Player with Firefox, you need to install Flash Player. If you want to use Flash Player with IE, you need to install Flash Player (except on Windows 8/8.1) etc. Why is this suddenly “the end of Dragon” and not the end of Firefox? If this is the end of something, it is the end of Flash Player, which is slowly being phased out.

It’s very different from installing an extension for a browser when you have to install a different browser to get what you need. It is not the same thing at all. I’m sure Firefox users would be up in arms if they had to install Chrome to get FF to work.

I mentioned two ways to get PepperFlash. :wink:

Just wondering, are there any downsides to using the debugger version over a “normal” version? What’s the actual difference? Can I use it as a normal flash player and simply not worry about the debug parts of it?

I don’t think it the debugger will be updated automatically.

I noticed something else, though. Dragon 33.1 (portable) does not automatically find and use the debugger-version. Bummer. :-[ :stuck_out_tongue: Something to fix. :wink: Both Opera and Chrome (64-bit) find it.

The 32-bit version is C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\pepflashplayer32_14_0_0_126.dll
(and 64-bit: C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\pepflashplayer64_14_0_0_126.dll)

And neither of them satisfactory, as your post regarding 33.1 portable’s inability to find the debugger version demonstrates. I realize you’re trying to help, but instead of simply dismissing people’s valid concerns as minor inconveniences, accept that this is a serious problem that could very easily signal the end for Dragon as a viable browser for many people

Dragon needs to work with the regular flash plugin like it always did before.

I’m not dismissing anyone’s concerns. They are valid. The issue needs to be fixed in such a way that the solution causes minimal inconvenience for the user. For the user it feels natural to say “Comodo, fix this ASAP!”. Nothing wrong with that. But it’s not that simple… This issue goes beyond Comodo’s control. Sure, Comodo could spend resources on trying to make the NPAPI-based Flash Player work well with Dragon, but that would only be a temporary solution, since the entire NPAPI-implementation will soon be removed from Chromium (as it already has been in Chromium for Linux)¹. Comodo cannot do anything about that, and it is (technically) a good thing that NPAPI is removed. The next thing Comodo cannot control is how the PPAPI-based Flash Player (“PepperFlash”) is distributed, since it is not Comodo’s product. Until now PepperFlash has only been distributed with Chrome. The PepperFlash debugger is brand new. I don’t know why Dragon does not find it, but since both Opera and Chrome find it, it should be quite easy for Comodo to fix that. Possibly Comodo could also have an option in Dragon’s installer to install PepperFlash debugger, like it now has the option to install the NPAPI-based Flash Player.

Dead end, see above.

¹ NPAPI deprecation: developer guide - The Chromium Projects

Do you know if anyone is looking into this to see if it’s possible then? If not, they should be.

I have no information on that at the moment.

The difference is that Firefox doesn’t need another browser IE, for example to run. If i have to install Chrome to make comodo run properly, then i’m uninstalling comodo and replacing it entirely with chrome.

Exactly, which is what I, and I’m sure many others, have also done. Dragon is finished as a viable browser unless Comodo get things sorted, and sorted quickly.

Comodo should somehow get an agreement with Google to obtain the latest versions of pepper flash. That would solve the problem but since Comodo also has an agreement with Yahoo, that might complicate the process.