Do you like and/or use Threatfire?

I think a skilled techie (just note: I currently don’t think I’m a Skilled Techie, just a Techie ;D) can just go with D+, may have a AV too.

Having TF, CFP with D+, and an AV seems like it would really slow down your PC.

To be fair when I was using TF it was very light on resources and I didn’t experience any performance drop.I’ve heard that some users say it does slow them down,so perhaps on lower powered systems it may be an issue.

As you say a skilled techie probably doesn’t need this with using D+,but it’s a good extra level for others.I did quite like it when I gave it a run,it doesn’t throw out a lot of meaningless pop-ups and the rule creation is a tweakers delight.

Hmmm…that is interesting. I’ve a Dual-Core laptop, & TF always used at least 10% of 1 core. It took 30-40 minutes to quarantine a simple test file (where it took Avast! 2-5 seconds). Every time I opened it, it stopped responding for about 20 seconds.

It may have been it had installed funky, but about the exact same thing happened when I tried Spyware Doctor (with AV built in).

Bottom line: It will take tons of convincing to get me to try another PC Tools’ product. Tons.

That was definitely conflicting with something,the 20 seconds lag is very extreme.PC Tools have had their ups and downs,Spyware Doctor didn’t last long with me (was 12 months ago so don’t know if it’s still the same).It consumed a huge amount of resources and my hard drive led seemed to be on permanently.

I doubt D+ caused any conflict unless you were using the beta at the time? Still it isn’t a ‘must have’ application so no need to worry too much ???

Yea you just had a bad experience, tf is quite light for me

Tnreatfire I thought was light till I dumped it and now my pc is back to normal. Threatfire was also making NIS 2009 crash. PCTools doesn’t make anything that will not slow down your pc. I have tried TF and Spyware Doctor. They slow your pc to a crawl. I dumped TF for Mamutu and will never turn back. Also TF doesn’t let you have full control of everything. Try downloading the GRC leak test for your firewall. TF will delete it automatically which is stupid. What if I want to test my firewall. Then I will need to shut down TF first. Dumb. Also TF will not pass most test unless its at level 4 or higher. But at level 4 it will lock up your games and other programs. Just download System Shutdown Simulator from Zero-Day and at level 3 TF will fail. At level 4 it will pass but it takes awhile for it to alert you. Mamutu passes the test very easily and you get a pop up warning in about 1/2 sec. Before saying TF is good you need to test it. It will fail most HIPS tests and behavior tests and the default settings.

A valid point, but remember, Mam is an IDS, and threatfire is a pure behavior blocker

One thing I noticed with Threatfire, is that if you uninstall it and then delete the drivers it leaves behind, you no longer will have a keyboard. Well, you still get your keyboard, just won’t be able to use it at all. lol

Not true. I uninstalled it several times trying to find my problem. Never once a key board issue. Just use the Threatfire removal tool.

Yes, it is true. I just tried it once in a tests system, but after uninstalling it, I noticed that the uninstall still left drivers behind and when I eliminated them nothing happened, but as soon as I started the machine the next day, I simply couldn’t use the keyboard for anything. I was like, what the heck is this. It couldn’t be no cable as it was a laptop, so I performed a restore and I could use the keyboard again. After a few research, I found out that deleting threatfire’s remaining drivers, entirely ■■■■■■■ the communication between the OS and keyboard.

I still got the drivers on the tests system, as I didn’t bother to format it. If threatfire’s removal tool would delete them without problems, don’t know. At the time, didn’t even know there was one, but what I do know, is that it did kill the keyboard. This I can say with 100% certainty. If am not mistaken, a few people have also related it on pctools forum.

Anyway, nothing that truly matters to me. I just remembered about it :wink:

Most likely deleted TF’s tunnel to prevent keyloggers, guess it took keyboard with it.

Yes that’s a very irritating trait TF has.I remember it swallowing nlite the same way.Mamutu leaves the final decision up to you,much better.

Just my .02 cents. I had CFP with D+ both in Safe mode running with TF level 3 and Avira Free High Heuristics and did not have any slow downs. I ran some hips tests, firewall tests and anti-virus tests and the bottom line was CFP caught most of the stuff and Avira picked up the rest. TF never had a chance to respond. So from my stand point, if you leave D+ on and know what your doing on installations etc, TF really isn’t needed. I have now switched to CIS and removed Avira and TF and I like what I see. ;D

Ice

cool! :-La i might wanna use Threatfire 4 along with CFP3 but i was not sure if there won’t be any conflict.now i know who to blame if something happen to my comp after i use TF ;D

Its called overlapping security.You are running 2 behavior based programs which you do not need. Threatfire is for people who do not currently have a HIPS program.

+1

Josh

I also read somewhere that it might hurt security having this “overlap”, had to do with keyloggers. TF 3.5 was interfering with D+. I’m not sure if TF 4.0 has the same issue with the new D+.

Ice

oh, it’s from here
but then you can see, it’s DS problem, not conflict issue.
and i remember saw a thread about how D+ & Tf can complement each other.

oh, i’m using CFP firewall only & TF right now. it’s pretty good. no slow down this time :-TU

I agree with the basic point but TF has a certain merit for a non tech user confused by the random pop-ups from D+ in the event they make the wrong choice.

I believe that version 4 includes far more extensive custom rules similar to the ones of Kees1958 now yes?