Disk Defraggers And System Performance

Hehe, it seems I still can give some info to people.

The way it outperforms JkDefrag/auslogics is on-acces defrag and tune-up.

Xan

Auslogics is great but it just defrags. No analyzing or optimizing.

I’ve added some more defraggers, and gave you 2 answers as it is possible some uses more

Xan

The lack of an analyse-function might be a minus for Auslogics, as you don’t know how many files that are fragmented until after the defragmention is done.
What is “optimizing”?

Optimizing is putting the more important files first (much used files) so you can acces them faster. This way it ‘optimizes’ you computer

Xan

IMO NTFS does a decent job keeping things in order.
PerfectDisk has performed satisfactorily for me on servers and workstations.

For defraggers, I follow the “If it ain’t broke…” philosophy.
Make sure you have at least 20% free space on your drives, and I think you will be fine with any of the defraggers in the poll.

axl.

Maybe but I still have to try iobit and ultra defrag now :slight_smile: yay more tests!

JKdefrag in safe mode wiith command prompt is unstoppable lol

JKD is so frikin ugly. Yuk. The GUI along makes me never use it.

Well I won’t replace Jk with Ultra, that’s for sure.

To begin with, the installer annoyed me because it placed UltraDefrag in the Windows folder. Secondly, it turned out that there was nothing to defrag - Jk already made the job perfectly. Thirdly, there was a portable version placed in the folder (also by the annoying installer). As I ran this version, it put a new folder i Windows. So really, no UltraDefrag for me, unless it sticks in one folder (with the path of my choice).

LA

IObit Smart Defrag lets me defrag both my drives at once. Auslogics only allows me to defrag one at a time. Thanks exPerience.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thanks exPerience
then why do you write my name wrong, it's eXPerience, not exPerience >:( >:( >:( just joking ;D

For me, Iobit is good, but you need to disable the on-acces defragger as it uses 100% harddisk recource 88).

Xan

edit : fixed in the new version

well untill a freeware program comes up that can defrag the MFT n defrag the other files with bout 100mb free space, ill stick with perfectdisk…

Furthermore, I found out with RegSeeker that UltraDefrag leaves invalid services after uninstall. :frowning:

LA

I use JkDefrag for a long time now. And I defrag my hard disk in safe mode with options -a7.

Something curious that I found out is that it eliminates Windows Vista’s restore points.

[b]Why does JkDefrag delete my restore points?[/b] It's not JkDefrag that is deleting your restore points. Restore points use the Shadow Copy service to make snapshots of the disk. JkDefrag does not change files (it only defragments or moves them), but it does change the disk (moving a file is a change to the disk). The Shadow Copy service remembers all these changes in big files in the "C:\System Volume Information\...." folder. When the total amount of diskspace used by shadow copies exceeds a threshold then the oldest snapshot (restore point) is automatically deleted. The threshold can be changed with the "vssadmin" command, see the [url=http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/89d2e411-6977-4808-9ad5-476c9eaecaa51033.mspx?mfr=true] http://www.kessels.com/img/Bullit.gif [b][u]vssadmin manpage[/u][/b][/url].

Yes, I read it before on the kessels site.

But it is not just the oldest restore point that gets deleted. They all get deleted.

When I execute JkDefrag from command line with options -a7, my hard disk goes from 60GB to nearly 80GB of free space.
I only defrag like 2 in 2 months.

88), you should be happy, getting so much free space by just defragging, many people just want that

Xan

And I am!!! :wink:

I love JkDefrag… (:LOV)

Ok went back to Perfectdisk cause it does a better job at keeping the layout.ini files organized more then Windows does itself. Also it has an offline defrag to defrag your system files.