Disk Defraggers And System Performance

I have been along time user of Perfectdisk 8. It always did the job well but took atleast an hour per drive to complete. Its also runs 2 back round services. Then I could never get the boot defragger to work cause it always gave me CHKDSK errors. So I tried Diskeeper 8 the other day and the boot up degragger of system files works fine. Then after I booted up and opened up the GUI I was like yuk. Perfectdisk as a much better GUI. I ran a full defrag on both my drives which took about 2 hours then I rebooted. System performance was about the same maybe alittle better but then Diskeeper also runs a back round service which eats up 10,000K of memory. Perfectdisk and Diskeeper also cost alot of money. I saw Auslogics Defragegr awhile back but never thought much of it. So downloaded Auslogics. I rebooted and opened up Auglogics after installing it. Nice GUI but can only defrag one drive at a time. I ran a defrag on my “F” drive which is my gaming and music drive. that took a wooping 15 minutes. Then I ran a defrag on my “C” drive and that took only 20 minutes. It gave me a 7% increase in speed. There is no back round service at all either. Keep in mind that I recently ran a defrag with both Perfectdisk and Diskeeper. I still had Perfectdisk and Diskeeper installed but had the services disabled. I rebooted and my pc booted up and ran quicker. Honestly. So why spend money on a disk defragger when free is just as good. Kinda like security now a days. I have now completely uninstalled Perfectdisk and Diskeeper. From now on I will always use Auglogics.

None of the above on the poll. I use JKDefrag. One of the smallest and fastest ones.

None too. I use Tune Up Utilities 2008 :slight_smile:

Tune Up Utilities also runs a back round service. JKD is pretty good Soy but man what an ugly GUI. I might try Tune Up Comm. Do you use the other programs it comes with?

I agree the GUI is ■■■■-ugly, but it doesn’t matter to me since I look at it this way: either I can spend an hour to watch it complete or a minute. I don’t do either (:TNG) and a defragger isn’t the type of application that requires constant attention/re-adjusting of the settings etc compared to something like a firewall. As long as it does it main purpose :slight_smile:

I’m using Auslogics (:WIN)

Perfectdisk 7 for offline defrag on XP 'cos nothing can touch it and 8 is bloated, much slower and uses the stupid Vista ribbon ■■■■.

Online defrag is Ultimatedefrag. Interface is wierd to say the least, but it’s underneath that counts.
It gives you the sort of control over file placement that the old Norton speeddisk had. Wanted stuff to the outer cylinders, archived to the inners.
It promises a kicking offline mode with position control over the pagefile, in the pipeline too. Check it out:

I also am using JKDefrag.

You can download a GUI for it from the Authors Website- It’s very small & you don’t need to install it. IMO, It works VERY well.

Auglogics is good too. I use to have it :slight_smile: Don’t ask me why I switched though.

Josh

Anyone tried Defraggler from piriform(ccleaner makers) it`s not three bad.

http://www.defraggler.com/

Defraagler is still beta. Hopefully soon it will be done.

Yep, At RC2 now so the final isn’t around the corner.

Josh

Isn’t JKdefrag and auslogics’ based on the standard defrag API included in all windows versions, which is AFAIK based on an old diskeeper engine?
Back on topic, I am currently using Perfectdisk 2008. Main reason is the offline defrag capability which I found much more effective then the one in diskeeper (although I haven’t tied the latest version of DK)
On the standard defrag part, Perfectdisk was the only one that gave me a visible performance gain. I also tried OO defrag. It is very customizable but I didn’t like it much.

I know JK isn’t. I have read their forums…

Josh

Can you point me to the URL? I hope it’s different from what I last recalled and that the status indicators and all them colourfully goodies are aesthetic enoughy for me. Well, as long as I can understand it is all that matters lol.

JkDefrag is based on the standard defragmentation API by Microsoft, a system library that is included in Windows 2000, 2003, XP, Vista, and 2008. Most defragmenters are based on this API, including the free defragmenter that comes with Windows and many commercial defragmenters. Basically all JkDefrag does is send "move this file to that location" commands to the API. JkDefrag does not modify the disk by itself, and is therefore extremely solid.

JkDefrag is what I use. It’s very fast and it does make a difference. It totally defrags all the system files with a single sweep every time. The difference in performance afterwards is very noticeable. (The following screenshot is from PageDefrag, which I use for monitoring but not for defragging, since JkDefrag already does the job.)

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/4075/pagedefrageb7.png

You don’t even need Pagefile defrag: just disabled Event Log service, reboot, enable the service, reboot. ;D

I use JkDefrag as well. Haven’t tried the extra GUI, maybe worth a try, at least if it brings up the functions the JkDefrag only offers from the command prompt. I don’t like running it from the command prompt so I guess I’m missing some nice functions.

LA

Anyone knows what’s wrong with the default one from Microsoft? Okay, Microsoft might make you think ‘fail’ every time you see the company name, but really, what’s wrong with the built-in defrag engine?
The only reason for why I’m using a 3rd-party solution is that I can’t run the built-in one with like all services disabled.

Cheers,
Ragwing

It’s very slow, and every time you do any little thing it starts over. Or used to be that way. :stuck_out_tongue:

Update: I downloaded the JkDefrag GUI and tried it. It’s alright, and it brings out the functions that are hidden (which is great), but I didn’t like it for some reasons: it wants NTREGOPT and some other program to be present. Also, it tries to connect to the internet (no big deal, it’s easy to block with CFP, but I don’t like that kind of behaviour). Finally, as I put the .exe in my JkDefrag folder and ran it, my original jkdefrag.exe disappeared. :frowning:

LA