Disk Defraggers And System Performance

I’m suprised to hear this from you, one of the most anti-MS guys around here. :slight_smile:

LA

Let’s not go too off topic now… But I do hate the default defragment utility, as it requires some stupid services to be running. I hate most things in Windows related to services, as it makes me feel handicapped. Do I really need a service to do something I can do myself?
If I get back the SP3-version of ‘shutdown.exe’, I might considering disabling RPC and create an auto-start as ‘shutdown -a’, which would prevent the PC to reboot… But now, that doesn’t belong here, so let’s continue the discussion in our infamous ‘Kill XP’-thread.

Cheers,
Ragwing

I voted for Diskeeper since I have it installed on both XP and Vista systems. I use the 2008 Pro edition, and it does an excellent job in keeping the drives clean of fragmentation; in the background, and very efficiently. My systems run super smoothly without any hiccups or stuttering despite the fact that the drives see a lot of daily I/O. (:KWL)

MS tool really only does a consolidate, and not a good one at that.

I know this may sound odd but my pc runs faster without Perfectdisk. I guess it was the background service.

Another reason why I like to run defraggers on-demand.

I hear you. I just cant see spending money on a defragger when there are good alternatives for free.

Tune up runs its defrag service only while defragging, doesnt keep it running in the background otherwise… its pretty darn good if free space defragmentation is ur primary concern and u wanna get it done fast…

My only wish is if a freeware could be released that could defrag the MFT… neednt fall back on perfect disk ever again…

Auglogics is working on being apply to defrag the MFT files in there next release or so.

(:CLP) :BNC :BNC

From The Auslogics website…

“Currently we are working on the MFT defragmentation support, so that your MFT can also be defragmented by the program. This feature can be available in one of the future major versions of the program.”

"…we intend to introduce free space consolidation in the next version of the program. "

maybe Auslogics disk defrag 2 or greater…

Question:

What is MFT?

Answer:

Probably the most important of the key system (metadata) files that define an NTFS volume, the Master File Table or MFT is the place where information about every file and directory on an NTFS volume is stored. The MFT is in essence a relational database table, containing various attributes about different files. It acts as the “starting point” and central management feature of an NTFS volume–sort of a “table of contents” for the volume, if you will. It is somewhat analog to the file allocation table in a FAT partition, but is much more than just a list of used and available clusters.

Currently we are working on the MFT defragmentation support, so that your MFT can also be defragmented by the program. This feature can be available in one of the future major versions of the program.

http://www.auslogics.com/en/faq.php?name=Auslogics%20Disk%20Defrag&file=%2Fen%2Fproducts%2Fdisk-defrag%2Fproduct.faq&question=1&backlink=%2Fen%2Ffaq.php%3Fname%3DAuslogics%2520Disk%2520Defrag%26file%3D%2Fen%2Fproducts%2Fdisk-defrag%2Fproduct.faq

LOL We posted it at the same time. Way to Auslogics. Fastest defragger I ever used.

i’ve been comin across one too many coincidences lately :slight_smile:

Been a Diskeeper user for years now, the background defrag seems to work just fine for me.

The only thing that seems to fragment my pagefile (and most times the rest of the system files) is a system restore, so no need for your devilish ways. ;D

I’m not sure I’d happily go for defragging the MFT with an unsupported third party solution… :-\

Don’t be chickened :-*

I might try Auslogics again soon.

I certainly don’t like back ground Defraggers with background services.

Josh

DeFragler in the latest release defrags free space, and is a lot faster than the release before it.
The overall time seems to be faster, and you still can select individual files or folders.

The GUI for jkDefrag is not that great but has incorporated many features.
I already had, pagedefrag for several years and found that it was normally only necessary every 7 to 12 months unless I installed or uninstalled a program requiring a page file.

The other program that GUI uses, which I have also used for years contig from sysinternals.
It is command line but does a great job of getting those left over straglers. It is recommended it be ran after the others. I used to run it at the beginning also but found myself running AusLogic because of its speed first then the others.

Also like to do a run in Safe Mode and found it faster to run it second after the system has already been defragged in normal mode, but Safe Mode is quite a bit slower but gets more.

Then I run a registry defrag program, the two I use are Free Registry Defrag and AusLogics Registry Defrag.
You will see the largest performance difference after 3 to 4 months or more and many install and uninstalls.
Besure to run defrag programs like Ccleaner or RegSeeker and temp file cleanup programs.

The largest percentage increase for around 11% but usually averages 4 to 7%, again how often and software installs and uninstalls will affect the percentage of change.

One other item that will improve performance is deleting dead links and empty folders on the HD.
I had 5700 empty folders, the program I used got it down to 3. I ran the system error checking tool and after the reboot Microsoft had 2700 empty folders.

UncleDoug

totally agree with ya dude… just uninstalled perfectdisk 2008 n minus the background service my bootup’s faster now for some reason…