Default install of CIS 5.0.162636.1135 makes mbamservice.exe a CPU hog. [280]

The bug/issue

1. What you did: Made a default install of CIS 5.0.162636.1135
  2. What actually happened or you actually saw: mbamservice.exe CPU usage went from a few percent up to 80+% on a Pentium III E 650MHz system with 768Mb of RAM.
  3. What you expected to happen or see: I had expected no unfavorable interaction between either CIS or MBAM applications.
  4. How you tried to fix it & what happened: Exiting CIS returned system to normal. Disabling Defense+ made no detectable change.
  5. Details (exact version) of any software involved with download link: CIS 5.0.162636.1135
  6. Any other information you think may help us: During the install process, ticking the “firewall only” box allowed mbamservice.exe to return to normal/acceptable CPU usage.

Files appended

1. Screenshots illustrating the bug:See: https://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/cis-50162636-vs-mbam-t62001.15.html
  2. Screenshots of related event logs or the active processes list:
  3. A CIS config report or file. N/A
  4. Crash or freeze dump file: N/A

Your set-up

1. CIS version & configuration used: 5.0.162636.1135 default configuration.
  2. Whether you imported a configuration, if so from what version: No import used.
  3. Defense+ and Sandbox OR Firewall security level: All in Safe Mode/Enabled when failure observed.
  4. OS version, service pack, no of bits, UAC setting, & account type: XP Pro SP3 32bit, Admin Account.
  5. Other security and utility software running: Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware v1.46 (Full, Activated version of MBAM)
  6. CIS AV database version: N/A

An excellent issue report thanks. I’ll forward it now. Meanwhile you may be able to make MBAM & CIS work together by disabling real time file scanning in either, and exempting the other’s executable(s) from the real time scanner of the AV left running.

Please note that regrettably CIS cannot be guaranteed to work with other security software.

Best wishes

Mouse

Could I just check whether you disabled Defence plus by ticking ‘permanently diasble defense plus’ and rebooting?

If not could you try that please?

(There are fixes for some D+ conflicts)

Mouse

Hello Mouse:

In order to give you an authoritative answer, I first uninstalled COMODO CIS 5.0.162636.1135 (with Revo Uninstaller) and then I reinstalled with no changes made to the default settings.

After a reboot, I ran the CIS product update check and saw a download/install of some files.

For purity of results, another reboot was made and then I verified the original reported facts as stated in the above original post of this thread. Indeed the CPU usage of mbamservice.exe was generally 30-40%.

I then returned to CIS and ticked the box for permanently disabling Defense+, as you requested, followed by another reboot.

Yes - as with my method of installing with “Firewall Only”, your method also results in return to normal behavior of mbamservice.exe where an idle system shows no elevated CPU usage for mbamservice.exe.

HTH

THanks for being so careful with this it is very much appreciated. Please could you a) re-enable D+ and reboot b) try adding the whole MBAM directory (and any related directories & sub-directories) to buffer overflow exclusions under D+ settings ~ Execution control and rebooting.

Best wishes

Mouse

We need D+ log also. Attach it, please.

My pleasure.

Please see the two attached PNG files.

Thank you.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Although it’s probably abundantly clear to most COMODO staffers, the problem outlined in the original post, now extends to COMODO CIS V5.0.163652.1142 and I have verified that normalcy returns if Defense+ is “Disabled” as was the case with the previous version of CIS.

With COMODO’s permission, I have altered the “Subject” line accordingly.

HTH

Hi All

I have a rahter similar set up. Malwarebytes along with Comodo firewall. I had default install of Comodo firewall because I like network+ functionality. Everything was fine till I upgrade to latest version (5.01636512.1142)

However I see malwarebytes being stuck between 40-50% all the time. No matter what trust or changes I make it still takes a lot of CPU.

Do you have an update on this? Is there a patch in the works that we can apply in the near future

I guess I will chime in on the bug fix ticket as 1Pw is not the only one with that issue.

Please checkout the picture attached showing the mbamservice.exe issue

Thanks

Could someone try this please?

Many thanks in anticipation

Mouse

Hi

I did what you asked (adding the folders to exclusion list under defense+ settings / execution control). Added malware bytes folder.

Nothing doing. Still the same issue :-[ Please help

Screen shots attached.

Hello kourosh:

Please see the following:

https://forums.comodo.com/format-verified-issue-reports-cis/default-install-of-cis-501626361135-makes-mbamserviceexe-a-cpu-hog-wbz-t62437.0.html;msg443501#msg443501

HTH

Thanks much appreciated. Giving this a tracking ID now. Devs are working on it.

Mouse

As I see, you are using full paid version of mbamservice.exe, am I right? Or somebody has same issue with free version of malwarebytes?

Hello serg derevyanko:

This is a non-authoritative answer:

mbamservice.exe is normally only executing if the system has an activated full version of Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (MBAM). mbamservice.exe is part and parcel of MBAM’s real-time protection.

Else mbamservice.exe is dormant on a system with the free/unactivated version of MBAM - even if the free version is doing on-demand scanning.

@Serg - for a more authoritative answer, please post to the Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware forum where a staffer or voluntary expert may more fully state mbamservice.exe’s function.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/

Or better yet, join the MBAM forum thread where this situation is being actively discussed:

Comodo Firewall and Mbam - Malwarebytes for Windows Support Forum - Malwarebytes Forums

Thank you for your time and interest. HTH

Thanks

However I would like to have the Defense+ enabled like before. That is one advantage of comodo over others.

I am really wondering if there is a fix in works.

Hello kourosh:

We all share your desire to have all features of COMODO CIS 5 work well with the full & activated version of Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (MBAM).

At least two COMODO staffers have posed questions in these threads, therefore I’m sure COMODO is interested in a permanent solution.

bump

Hi !

I had exactly the same problem.

I have tried something which seems to give results and I would like someone to test the same thing to see if this is the answer to the problem.

I have closed down and prevent from starting at the reboot “ctfmon.exe” and it seemed to solve the problem.

If so, don’t forget to unactivate the Text Services to avoid ctfmon.exe to reinstall itself in the boot sequence.

Wow!!!

What an outstanding find.

I have been too busy trying to exclude all traces of malwarebytes in comodo and obviously it didn’t work.

I killed ctfmon process and CPU usage dropped under 5% with a few spikes here and there. Then I completely stopped it from loading and gave machine a reboot.

So far, so good. Malwarebytes and Comodo are getting along just fine now.

It is strange that comodo’s new release causes such odd behavior. Comodo engineers: Would you please have it fixed?

Thanks Spoutnik55 and I let you all know if the issue pops back up again.

Kourosh