Default install of CIS 5.0.162636.1135 makes mbamservice.exe a CPU hog. [280]

Thank you for your response, kourosh.

I would also like that the COMODO’s engineers take a look at the problem between COMODO Firewall and ctfmon.exe and why it causes a CPU problem with Malwarebytes.

[Edited Post]

Ok so we know that disabling ctfmon resolves things.

Regarding how to do this permanently, this may be helpful here.

Note that this could cause problems on machines with non- US keyboards, if i understand correctly.

I also note that when you manually sandbox a browser, you tend to get memory access errors for CTFmon

Best wishes

Mouse

I have ctfmon disabled. Now everything is the way it is supposed to be.

Spoutnik55: Thank you so much for such a great find.

mouse1: Thank you. I did check that link and now have it book marked. But a fix always beats a workaround. who knows; next time a critical process that can’t be killed might cause the CPU to stay high.

Take care,

K

I have ctfmon disabled. Now everything is the way it is supposed to be.

;D

Firstly, I do not wish to forget nor diminish the fine research that led to this workaround. Indeed, thank you for your time and efforts!

However, the workaround is denying the East Asian community the benefits of CTFMON and “advanced test services”.

I hope our COMODO folks are still looking at this with an eye towards a global beneficial solution for all.

Thank you kindly.

Yup a workaround, not a fix.

Mouse

Hello all…
I am running XP pro SP3 on my desktop, all updates etc, and Comodo version 5.0.163652.1142, defense + is enabled, and I am also running Malwarebytes 1.50 with real time protection ON. I have no difficulties AND ctfmon.exe is running as well.
However, on my HP Compaq Presario R3000 laptop, Windows XP home, SP3, all updates, running the same Comodo version in the same modes, if I run Malwarebytes 1.50 with real time protection on, CPU usage goes very high constantly. I ended the ctfmon.exe as instructed above, and the usage dropped to an intermittent 3%.

I know my way around computers quite well, but I am NO expert. Why do Comodo and Malwarebytes NOT conflict on my desktop computer?

On your system that presumably has no excessive mbamservice.exe usage, can you please examine:

Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Languages Tab, and report if the “Install files for East Asian languages” is/was ticked?

Thank you.

@spearthrower

As I said in a previous post I also had this problem which I solved by closing ctfmon.exe.

My computer is also a Compaq Presario (S6300NX).

Maybe this problem occurs only on these computers (Compaq Presario)…

I believe that many think this is not hardware related. Faster and more capable hardware make the symptom less objectionable to the users.

Any updates to this?

No sorry everthing has been very quiet for the last month or so.

I would hope with the next release when it comes there are some fixes for these cpu problems.

Dennis

It looks to me like this may have been fixed.

Perhaps we should try undoing our workarounds and see.

Checked nothing new posted under [280] not marked as fixed.

So I cannot confirm it has been fixed, sorry.

Dennis

Is this fixed in version 5.8 of CIS.

Many thanks in anticipation for your replies

Mouse