CVA Updates to be Discontinued

Hi Guys,
This is to inform you that CVA won’t be updated from 15th Aug, 2009 onwards.

We are discontinuing it for the time being.
we will get back to you when we start on this again.

Thanks
-umesh

Thats too bad.

I liked the product :cry:

What?! :cry:

This product is very useful.

:‘( :’( :‘( :’( :‘( :’( :cry:

Like I said, automation was the way to go, similar to Sumo. It would have made CVA a better program and it wouldn’t have required near the amount of maintenance it does now.

https://forums.comodo.com/comodo_vulnerability_analyzer/cva_improvement_suggestions_wishlist-t22653.30.html

Shame, I liked this product too :'(. Hopefully we won’t have to wait too long for new development ;D.

Is the reason due to not enough users (recorded via updates) using this product or maybe shifting “developers” onto to other (new/existing) products?

If CVA had reached “final status” (even though it was very near) I would have installed/recommened to friends, family, etc.

:cry:

Well, it’s a bit evil to say this… >:-D

But this is typically Comodo.

LaunchPad: Discontinued (and imho it should, since it served no purpose).
TrustToolbar: Discontinued
Comodo Meet: Discontinued
User Anywhere: Discontinued
ZLT: Discontinued
BOClean: Discontinued (seems to be integrated in CIS, but I can’t verify it)
Memory Firewall: Not exactly discontinued, but not actively developed either and it seems to be integrated in CIS which no one can verify.
I-vault: Discontinued
SafeSurf: Discontinued (since it is superseded by HopSurf).

And now CVA: discontinued.

This leaves us with:
CIS: Promising but the AV component is very immature.
Time Machine: No releases for months now. So I guess this is sooner or later discontinued too.
Disk Encryption: Very buggy according to the forum.
Secure Email: Some bug reports, but no recent releases.
EasyVPN: lot of error reports (quite typical for VPN software). New release today.
Backup: Promising program.
Verification Engine: Promising program, actively developed.
AntiSpam: Promising program, but no recent releases.

So about half of the projects are discontinued sooner or later.

It’s typical any company, not just Comodo. It’s about strategies and prioritizations, I’m sure you understand that.

Just some comments; yes BOClean and Memory Firewall are discontinued as stand alone but they are integrated in CIS. No need to doubt that. As for SafeSurf, what’s the deal, we now have HopSurf (and integrated Memory Firewall), don’t we? As for Time Machine; mods have tested the alpha version. It’s not reasonable to start guessing now whether it’ll be discontinued or not.

Not everything will work out. I deal with a lot (emphasize, A LOT) of technical gizmos. For the past ten years I have been really reluctant to purchase expensive items. Because all too often a year or two from the purchase the product is discontinued and support goes away. Or, worse yet, the company goes belly up or is gobbled up by the Larger Than Life Corporation. I remember I once bought an AV product from a Very Large Security Name from a Very Large Retail Outlet. I had it for about a month before I installed it. During updating I was informed from the Security Name that the product was no longer supported–Sorry! Very Large Store wouldn’t refund either. Life moves on.

Let’s look a bit deeper, shall we.

LaunchPad: Discontinued (and imho it should, since it served no purpose).

Discontinued due to user feedback

TrustToolbar: Discontinued

User said they didn’t like it. There were several unfavourable reviews that, correctly or incorrectly, labelled it as malware. Discontinued due to feedback.

Comodo Meet: Discontinued User Anywhere: Discontinued

Both core functionalities of these products are included in EasyVPN. Admittedly, Comodo Meet could do more.

ZLT: Discontinued

Bummer about this one. Don’t know exactly why this was discontinued.

BOClean: Discontinued (seems to be integrated in CIS, but I can't verify it)

The technology behind BOClean IS intergrated into CIS because it made the most sense to place it there. There were/are a lot of disgruntled BOClean users, and, while I can see their point of view, it makes more sense from a development angle to incorporate it into CIS.

Memory Firewall: Not exactly discontinued, but not actively developed either and it seems to be integrated in CIS which no one can verify.

See answer above. It can be verified by deliberately running a BO or running a ret2libc attack.

I-vault: Discontinued

Bummer on this one as well. I thought it had potential.

SafeSurf: Discontinued (since it is superseded by HopSurf).

Again, users were complaining about the tie-in with ASK. It has been superceded by the HopSurf toolbar which was independantly developed by Comodo (once you get past them forgetting to remove the reference to ASK in its EULA. LOL).

And now CVA: discontinued.

It’s not dead, it’s just not actively being developed. Please re-read umesh’s post

[b][i]We are discontinuing it for the time being. we will get back to you when we start on this again.[/i][/b]
This leaves us with: CIS: Promising but the AV component is very immature.

Fair enough.

Time Machine: No releases for months now. So I guess this is sooner or later discontinued too.

There has never been a puiblic release of Time Machine, so I’d love to know what you’re basing (bashing?) your judgement on. 88) It is being developed and it is the ducks nuts! You’re going to be amazed by it when it comes out.

Disk Encryption: Very buggy according to the forum.

Fair enough

Secure Email: Some bug reports, but no recent releases.

Secure Email is still in active development, just no public releases for a while. It’s still in there.

EasyVPN: lot of error reports (quite typical for VPN software). New release today.

EasyVPN is being very actively developed.

Backup: Promising program.

Again, being very actively developed.

Verification Engine: Promising program, actively developed.

See above

AntiSpam: Promising program, but no recent releases.

Agreed, but no news that it is being dropped.

So about half of the projects are discontinued sooner or later.

Out of the 10 “discontinued” products you’ve named, by my reckoning we now have

2 discontinued (ZTL and I-Vault)
3 discontinued due to user feedback (Launch Pad, TrustToolbar and SafeSurf)
2 discontinued due to being incorporated into Easy VPN (Comodo Meet and User Anywhere)
2 discontinued due to be incorporated into CIS (BOClean and Memory Firewall)
1 temporarily suspended (CVA)

30% discontinued due to customer feedback.
40% discontinued due to incorporation into other products.
10% temporarily suspended.
20% discontinued.

Typical. 88)

Ewen :slight_smile:

P.S. CVA never made it out of the BETA development stage. :wink:

It would be nice to continue this product. I love Vulnerability analyzers :cry:

CVA is already partially in Comodo Cloud Scanner 2.0 (Beta): https://forums.comodo.com/beta-corner-ccs/comodo-cloud-scanner-20-build-6-beta-release-t57914.0.html

Theres an application updater in there…

Josh