Corrupted Windows Font

Many thanks for your time on that. I’ve downloaded the relevant file, but am still inclined to steer clear until it is evident that this has been solved. As I had run CSC several times with no problem, only using limited entries, but then let it run full blast with most entries selected doing default cleans (hundreds of entries) I deduced (perhaps wrongly) that one of the entries, to do with fonts say, was the problem, and was hoping it had come to light. Some time ago and using another registry cleaner, I lost access to Photoshop Elements, and had to reinstall it from scratch. I can’t see how the prefetch could be involved here, but you live and learn, and will empty that first assuming I can get to it.
Meanwhile I’ve installed CIS 2012 in another computer, one of the most wondrous packages I’ve ever seen, and great documentation too. It is starting to steady my nerves.

The story was explained to me that if you if you restore the font referencing in Regedit the problem will still come back but if you clear the prefetch you buy time to run the fix. Once the fix is run you will have no further problems and you will be able to take your time and smell the flowers on the way. Once you are using Comodo it is unlikely that you will find any benefits from other cleaners. Between CIS, CCE and CSC you will be pretty much bulletproof.

This just happened to me today. Been using CSC for months and recommended it to family and friends. A couple months ago the machine language hit my Dads PC and I told him it was windows update. I’ve since apologized as it happened to me. Tried using the file above did not work had to use system restore. I was aware of the backup feature of the program and had it set up but did no good as not only were characters different but part of my program window was also missing. I have for now uninstalled it and will possible re-install if I am certain that wont happen again. This is in my opinion a glitch that basically renders a machine almost unusable. Its really too bad as the security suite is so good, never had any trouble. Hopefully this will be resolved soon so i can start using it again.

I feel for you. Instead of a family member I had installed it on my work computer as well as at home!! It is unsettling to say the least but keep calm and try to smile :wink:

Since that issue I have had no troubles of any description! Comodo stuff is really very good and personally (after getting it going again) I still undeleted rebooted and reinstalled (the latest version) after running CCE. Possibly we put too much trust in Comodo and feel let down when we discover that they have bugs jut like any other software. Unfortunately there seems to be no clear way of reporting or seeking specific support but that is what happens with free software - the better the software the more we users expect interest when we have our troubles.

I know exactly what you are experiencing and after a lot of disbelief from a variety of quarters it turns out that the problem is indeed CSC - but not everyone’s installation!!!

Anyway, here is the way Comodo resolved it when they eventually accepted that their software had a weird little bug - and i have cut and pasted from an earlier response that someone provided:

To fix the problem on the Vista Ultimate x64, Windows 7 x64 and Windows XP x64bit please download the file from the following link: http://download.comodo.com/csc/download/updates/TEST/Fonts/Fonts_x64.reg , double click on it and follow the steps from the attached screenshots. Restart the operating system and the fonts will be restored.
To fix the problem on the Windows XP Professional x86, Windows 7 x86 and Windows Vista x86 please download the file from the following link: http://download.comodo.com/csc/download/updates/TEST/Fonts/Fonts_x86.reg , double click on it and follow the steps from the attached screenshots. Restart the operating system and the fonts will be restored.

Good luck - this fixed my two instances (W7 64bit and an XP 32bit) I am pretty confident. The problem is to identify what you are doing while the garbled rubbish is on the screen. It is hard to download stuff if you only have one computer and you can’t read anything on the screen but try safe mode, it worked in the early stages. Tech people don’t think of ordinary mortals when they issue instructions like that…but we plod on.

Hi Topcat2456, no need for the vitriol. To put the record straight, you thought it was a virus. virus that displays symbols instead of fonts

Then a couple of moderators suggested it was not a virus, but likely a bug in CSC.
Reply from CaptainSticks.
Reply from Panic. After this reply, Panic sent a PM to the developers to look into the issue.

So there was no disbelief from any quarter on Comodo’s end, and the developers were quick to offer a fix for the problem.