Corrupted Windows Font

Hi Guys, Im not sure where to post this so i am hoping that this is the correct place.
Last week on Friday I installed COMODO Security Cleaner on my personal laptop and on a machine at the office. Both of these PC’s all of a sudden shut down and when windows loaded all of the font was written in some strange machine code. Everything that windows presents to the screen is written in machine code.

My laptop is Vista Ultimate 64bit
Work PC is XP Professional

bump

Dose anyone from COMODO read these forum support requests?

Interesting that you think that your own product is the cause of this very disruptive incident. Two different computers several kilometres apart and not connected in any way. One an XP 32 bit desktop, and the other a W7 64 bit destop - both with default Comodo settings!

Also, you clearly did not read the only two comments on the page you directed mt to or you would have been too embarrassed to respond to my request in the way that you did…

I have a problem that I want to fix. I choose to use Comodo. You are telling me to use another product as long as it is not Comodo. Sounds too weird to be true.

Hi Stryker,

Not sure whether my comment went to you or the moderator that it was meant to get to… It was not meant for you - and we are clearly of the same mind and sharing the same problem which nobody wants to address.

You can get your computer working again through regedit and sometimes by restoring to a previous restore point but the virus comes back and I haven’t found anyone that can help. I think that the virus deleted the font management entries in the registry at boot time but have no idea how.

So my advice would be to try a system restore so that you can keep working but don’t logout/turn off but use hibernate or standby for a while until things get sorted.

All the other people suggest is to use CCleaner instead of CSC. They may have a point because CSC, CCE, and CIS don’t cleant it or identify it even though both my computers were fully “protected” by CIS beforehand.

I have a theory that whatever it is may have transferred via USB when I tried to use my computer’s USB to charge my phone (Android 2.2.2) so perhaps my disparaging comments about CIS are unfounded. Only time will tell.

Good luck

He was simply suggesting that there may be a bug in CSC, as the conditions described in this thread very closely, if not exactly, match the conditions you described in your thread.

Two different computers several kilometres apart and not connected in any way. One an XP 32 bit desktop, and the other a W7 64 bit destop - both with default Comodo settings!
The fact that both are running a new install of CSC and both are displaying the same fault condition is a logical common point well worth investigating.
Also, you clearly did not read the only two comments on the page you directed mt to or you would have been too embarrassed to respond to my request in the way that you did...
He did this as you seem to be fixated on the fact that you have a virus, whereas he thinks there may be another root cause - i.e. a bug in CSC.
I have a problem that I want to fix. I choose to use Comodo. You are telling me to use another product as long as it is not Comodo. Sounds too weird to be true.
What other product is he telling you to use? Other than Windows, I can't find any mention of any other product range other than Comodo.

Sorry, but your posts have me confused.

Ewen :slight_smile:

Hi stryker,

These are user supported forums and, although the Comodo developers do frequent them, I would recommend that you also lodge a support ticket at the official support centre - www.support.comodo.com.

You will need to register there, as your forum ceredentials do not flow through to the support centre.

I will also PM a developer to look at this thread.

Cheers,

PM sent

Hello,

This seems to me a Registry Cleaner problem. Before the can, registry cleaner creates a backup of hte deleted entries. This option is checked by default when you install the setup. If you have a backup created, please restore it and see if the problem is solved. Also please send us a copy of the backup file so we can determine what might caused this.

Thanks for the pormpt response Razvan. :-TU :-TU

We are talking about two different computers not connected in any form and kilometres apart. They are both protected by CIS using default SAFE settings.

At boot the screen/icon fonts look as if they are the ‘symbols’ font and are unreadable.

These fonts cannot be changed because it seems that the fonts have been removed from the various registry entries.

The registry can be repaired manually, but the repairs are reversed at the next boot.

It is possible to restore to an earlier point, but again, at reboot the problem reappears.

CSC does not identify or clear the problem.

CCE does not identify or clear the problem.

CIS does not identify or clear the problem.

The non-Comodo product CCleaner does not identify of clear the problem.

At each site other computers are p2p connected to the affected computer - and in both situations those connected computers use Microsoft MSE for protection and are not affected by this issue.

The only common link between the affected computers is that I used the USB port to (just) recharge my Android 2.2.2 phone which appears fine and scans as clear.

All I want is to sort out the problem, so lets get my argy-bargee reactions out of the discussion and try to sort the facts. If you feel that this is not the forum for my problem please remember that I was moved to it by a moderator who thought this would be the appropriate forum. If my query is redirected I don’t want to spend too much more time bouncing around forum pages. I do have a job to do, and have little time to myself anyway. I do, however, need simple guidance.

Googling only discovers others that have the same problem and that they don’t appear to be Comodo users. This indicates that it is something more than a bug in a Comodo program that is causing the issue, although there may well be a bug in the Comodo programming that fails to identify and clean such issues.

At the moment I have two computers down and as i said they are the ones that I use and which by choice I try to protect with Comodo products.

[at] topcat2456,

Please answer the following;

1. Prior to the font error appearing, did you have CSC installed on either or both PCs?
  2. Prior to the font error appearing, did you have CIS installed on either or both PCs?

Cheers,

Yes to both questions.

I installed AVG on to my mobile phone and it found and deleted something that Lookout did not pick up. I can only assume that the problem has been caused by the deleted item when I charged my mobile via a USB port. This act is the only one that I can think of that was common to both computers.

I do not know how to find the AVG log on my mobile (it uses Android 2.2.2 and is an LG P970).

I would have thought that Comodo products would have protected me as I always have the latest versions and regularly scan my computer. They were installed prior to the event and failed to identify the or clean the problem after the event.

It is difficult to find whether there is a Comodo product for Android phones. Loads of google hits hide any reference to actual download facilities.

Re. Android - There is currently no Comodo Android product, although it is being looked inot.

Re. system fonts issue, have you tried following Razvan’s advice - check for a CSC registry backup from before the date/time the corruption occured. If a suitable backup exists, please try restoring it.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers,

Will check out asap.

Please help me understand though - the difference between CCE and CSC. They appear to cover much of the same ground.

CIS is plain enough and it is surprising that it allowed the problem to occur. Nobody seems concerned.

Should my problem also be placed on boards for CIS and CCE ??

Surely I am not alone and someone is collating data for product development and maitenance.

CCE is Comodo Cleaning Essentials - a malware removal system
CSC is Comodo System Cleaner - registry, privacy and system cleaner

CIS is plain enough and it is surprising that it allowed the problem to occur. Nobody seems concerned.

The root nature of the corrupted font issue is yet to be determined. Although you suspect it was caused by an infection from your Android phone, there is at least one other report of it possibly being caused by CSC’s Registry Cleaner.

Please don’t think nobody’s concerned. The problem we have is that you have removed the suspected origin of the alleged infection. Therefore you can’t pass it along to Comodo for analysis. Without the suspect object, it is impossible to work on a logical basis.

Should my problem also be placed on boards for CIS and CCE ??

Only if we can determine the problem is definitely related to either of those apps. We’d rather this remained a single post on a sigle board at the moment, if only to retain clarity and focus.

Surely I am not alone and someone is collating data for product development and maitenance.
At the moment, there is only you and one other user who have reported this issue.

It’s an odd one - if it was a one-off occurence, why are there two of you with identical symptoms. If it’s not a one-off, why are there only two affected users?

Please try Razvan’s suggestion and let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Thanks Ewen,

I see what you mean about not having the root cause in situ but if it were to be CSC then surely you would have more than two complainants???

I will see what I can find. I will also see if I can find someone to identify the item deleted from my phone by AVG because if that is the root cause you need to know…

As an end user I have to trust the tools that I choose to use, and since I have used CSC for some time and on more than just the two computers that have had problems I would be astounded if it turns out to be a CSC bug.

If I were to make an observation about the differences between CSC and CCE it would be that they use the same terms to describe different things. They both have registry cleaners, privacy cleaners and system cleaners so please forgive my confusion. It there some explanation of the differences that i have missed?

Should I post to a CCE forum as well or could you pass on the details?

regards

David

CCE’s focus is on malware removal - check out Killswitch (a part of CCE) - very nice tool!!!
CSC is more about the OS and the natural ■■■■ that builds up over time.

Cheers,

I ran into this problem a few days ago fixing my gf computer. She said computer rebooted and when it came back up the fonts were messed up. I took a lookat the fonts directory and only 3 fonts were there. Fixedsys and two others. So i put fonts from my windows and installed them on hers. A few minutes later the fonts disappeared again. I did it again and watched taskman and while cleaner_validator.exe was busy it happened again. So i uninstalled all the comodo utilities except for the security center and all is good now.

We Found that restoring the font entries in the registry worked well - but the trick seems to be to immediately purge all pre-fetching.

If I have any more feedback I will post it, but so far that seems to have done the trick.

Greetings,

As of last night add me to this list. I had an IT friend install CSC when he helped me with another problem several months ago. I am using Windows 7. Since I have only a basic understanding of how computers worked, I was concerned but he said it was “idiot proof” and not to worry.

Since that time I used it several times with no problems. Last night I used it and when it was finished, all my Windows fonts were corrupted. Windows does seem to work normally but I can’t read anything. I tried to do some basic stuff but because of the font problem, I am unable to use system resotore or go back and undue what CSC had done. No luck running in safe mode either. Same problem.

As of right now, I can’t use my computer and would appreciate some help. My friend is ill and I don’t want to bother him at this point with this issue. CSC caused this problem because my computer was fine before I adtivated the program and that was the only thing I did. Once CSC did it’s thing, the problem appeared.

Once again, I would sure appreciate some help. I hope there is an easy fix because I would be very reluctant to use Comodo again.

cbreeze