Corrupted Windows Font

Sorry to add to the CSC theory but apart from charging my mobile phone on the two affected computers the only commonalities were comodo installations.

At least we know the two registry entries that are affected and the trick of deleting prefetch entries immediately after restoring the registry. The registry uses a different file for its font identification and so is still readable even though everything else is symbols.

Perhaps a standard ‘get out of jail’ typical registry entry could be put up for everyone’s reference after the techie folk have proved the problem.

For everyones reference, when I asked for support from AVG for their Android scanner and described my theory they said the following:

Unfortunately, there is no scan log history in AVG Mobilation yet. This feature will
be implemented in the future releases. But this will only show the user the name of
the file before you delete a certain threat.

It is very unlikely that the virus will be transferred from the phone to the pc.
Viruses is specifically being made for a specific software (Operating system). For
example. The virus that are affecting Windows won’t work with computer running with
MAC and vice versa because they have a different structure. This also applies from
phone to PC.

Greetings,

Just wanted to update this for anyone else having similar problems. I took my computer to my IT friend who instlalled CSC on my computer several months ago. He also informed me that two other people at work who he also installed CSC on their computers had the same problem.

After working on my computer and getting it running again, he informed me that the problem was not virus related but due to a recent Comodo upgrade. He deleted the program from his computer, my computer and the other individuals at work. Obviously told me not to use it again until the problem was fixed.

Sof or me it is bye bye Comodo, might try it again if I ever hear that the problem was resolved. I hope this helps others with the same problem.

cbreeze

Well ‘it’ came back this afternoon. On my work computer, which is a clunky old 32 bit XP Pro machine.

It seems to be the CSC updater program that is the problem… First signs that anything was wrong happened when the updater pop-up appeared a couple of times and then the network access died with a message talking about lack of system resources. Not thinking that it was ‘that’ problem again I re-booted and the problem was there but luckily with a readable system message:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error quoting the CSC Updater and an error number R6025 - pure virtual function call

The CSC updater is v1.0.0.1 and has not been updated by CSC updates.

I restored to a previous version and tried a partial flush of the prefetch but that only partly worked…

Now what should I do???

Can you please lodge a support ticket at the official support centre - http://support.comodo.com.

You will need to register there, as your forum credentials don’t flow through.

Hopefully the error code you managed to capture will help the devs nail this.

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Not as easy as you think. No relevant topic. I chose OTHER and it took the message calling it a Certificate problem. G knows why you run such a user unfriendly and pedantic system. Now I will get an email telling me to repeat the process somewhere else. Don’t you people have the ability to talk to each other??? I have enough problems already without having to fight a support forum while using someone elses computer. forums are not my choice of fun entertainment and I only come to them with a problem and therefore am in an irrational state of mind - all I want is help and if someone else patronises me and tells me to copy logs or something that is plainly impractical geographically I can only develop bad feelings towards comodo. So far I have stayed loyal and not put down your products but I am rapidly being driven to complete despair and will have to stop using all Comodo products except dragon. Aaaaagh!!! And nobody cares - they only get self righteous and defensive.

People do care and are trying to help you! It’s understandable that you are frustrated, but accusing people who are only trying to help you of being patronizing is going a bit too far.

In order to troubleshoot your problem, you are going to need to provide data relevant to your system. Without this, there is absolutely no chance of replicating your issue and the problem will not be fixed. When someone asks for this data, they are not being condescending. They are only trying to narrow down the scope of where the problem may lie. Asking for copies of logs may indeed be impractical geographically for you, but it is a critical step in the troubleshooting process.

Please make an attempt to take these steps to help you at face value, not turn it into something it is not. Not surprisingly, confrontational posts tend to garner confrontational replies.

Yes - I see your points. The problem with a forum is that open discussion often provides confrontational responses. The option is for a calmer mutually helpful responses or to not respond at all. The problem with not responding is that people are not aware that there are criticisms which should be addressed in the same calm manner. Is it politically incorrect to have critical points of view and to undburden oneself in the hope that the reader will come to understand the frustration and try to help without reacting emotionally? A tough call.

A PM has been sent to the dev lead for CSC.

Hi,

To fix the problem on the Vista Ultimate x64, Windows 7 x64 and Windows XP x64bit please download the file from the following link: http://download.comodo.com/csc/download/updates/TEST/Fonts/Fonts_x64.reg , double click on it and follow the steps from the attached screenshots. Restart the operating system and the fonts will be restored.
To fix the problem on the Windows XP Professional x86, Windows 7 x86 and Windows Vista x86 please download the file from the following link: http://download.comodo.com/csc/download/updates/TEST/Fonts/Fonts_x86.reg , double click on it and follow the steps from the attached screenshots. Restart the operating system and the fonts will be restored.

Thank you for your support.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Au contraire - a heartfelt thank YOU for your support.

With luck everything will stay OK.

Is it safe to download and reinstall the latest version of CSC??

regards

David

Hello,

Yes, it is safe to download and reinstall the latest version of COMODO System-Cleaner.

Thank you for your support.

Actually, the hoped for purpose of a forum is for calmer mutually helpful responses.

If only we could make it compulsory … :wink:

I also have this exact problem, system restore fixes it until I clean my computer with comodo system cleaner and the problem is consistent with cleaning my computer so I KNOW that it causes the issue. I have win 7 32 bit. It’s strange how it just started doing this even though I have had CSC for almost half a year now. I will probably uninstall and just manually clean my computer :-.

I have the identical problem.

Win XPx32 and Win 7x64 both had the fonts wiped out by the product. Uninstalling the product didn’t help. System restore didn’t help.

Please follow the steps Victor posted here: Corrupted Windows Font

How do I fix the font in Windows 7 32 bit?!

Thought I would mention somehting else a corrupted Windows Font might cause.

I fixed the readability by using restore and then going to language in the control panel and although English was the default showing I hit accept.

Discovered that trying to calibrate time always worked with nist but failed with windows every time. I installed the fonts from the XP file given and now both calibrate every time.

UncleDoug

Read the post/check the link above yours.
The x86 version is the one you want.

After using CSC very cautiously (highly pruned cleans) in my Win 7 64 bit machine, at the end of Sept I ran a default Registry Clean and then Privacy Clean (with a few entries unchecked). A little later in the PC session most of the screen characters changed to ‘wigglies’. It took many hours to correct the situation, mainly because using a computer when you can’t read the screen is a bit like driving a car with no windscreen (I suspect). Safe Mode was no help. In the end I fixed it instantly via System Restore, doing guesswork at what to choose from the display. I’m 99% sure it was caused by CSC (not a virus). Since then I’ve been scared to use CSC at all, but see in the forum this seems to be a known, if rare, problem. Can someone advise where this problem stands now? Has a bug been definitively identified and corrected via the periodic automatic updates, or do I need to uninstall it and download a new version, or continue to steer clear!?

Forgot to mention that there is quite a thread to read. Keep calm and try to smile :wink: Since that issue i have had no troubles of any description! Comodo stuff is really quite good.

I know exactly what you are experiencing and after a lot of disbelief from a variety of quarters it turns out that the problem is indeed CSC - but not everyone’s installation!!!

Anyway, here is the way they resolved it and i have cut and pasted from an earlier response that someone provided:

To fix the problem on the Vista Ultimate x64, Windows 7 x64 and Windows XP x64bit please download the file from the following link: http://download.comodo.com/csc/download/updates/TEST/Fonts/Fonts_x64.reg , double click on it and follow the steps from the attached screenshots. Restart the operating system and the fonts will be restored.
To fix the problem on the Windows XP Professional x86, Windows 7 x86 and Windows Vista x86 please download the file from the following link: http://download.comodo.com/csc/download/updates/TEST/Fonts/Fonts_x86.reg , double click on it and follow the steps from the attached screenshots. Restart the operating system and the fonts will be restored.

Good luck - this fixed my two instances (W7 64bit and an XP 32bit) I am pretty confident. The problem is to identify what you are doing while the garbled rubbish is on the screen. Try safe mode but otherwise you will find that Regedit uses a different table to identify its fonts so you will be able to read what is happening from the regedit point of view if you want. Purging the prefetch might help you too.