Comodo's anti virus make my system freeze.........

@ Bad Frogger,

I just reinstalled CIS on my Windows 7 RC7100 x64 rig.

My bases.cav file after updating was 103,837KB

After booting into safemode, following your directions, and updating a second time, the file size was still 103,837KB.

I’m guessing I’m safe now?

I, too, was suffering from this freeze/lockup on booting into Windows 7 over the past few days.
Hopefully it’s over with now…

It’s fixed now. I’m running Vista x64 SP2 and just reinstalled CIS and updated its AV database to its most recent one 1791 today and the OS can start just fine all start up programs load just fine.

Thank you, I just did all this. I am running a scan and it seems to be working. No freezing yet! Can someone tell me how to find what version of the virus definitions database I have? I just updated so I know it is the latest one but I would like to know how to find that (1786, 1787).

yep Vista 64 English, got me to, thank god for this thread, cheers guys, all working normally again now, did the safe mode delete steps.

Just open the GUI, to to Misc, an click on About that will show you the versions.

Ok, I started safe mode, deleted bases.cav in scanner folder, rebooted in normal mode, downloaded new pattern file (1796, 105 051 194 bytes), rebooted in normal mode, set AV to stateful… and freeze… :-TD

Anymore ideas ???

Hello , maybe you can try #43 my method. :slight_smile:

Thanks, reinstall seems to have solved the problem. O0

K, i followed the instructions in post 43 and rebooted between every update. It seems to be working now.

However, i got this error when comodo first started up after fully updating then rebooting:

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/6564/wtfrfm.jpg

I just restarted the program and scan worked fine but still, weird to get a crash/error like that.

Ty all

Read the one a few posts above, go into safe mode, rename the cav file, copy the one of the same name from the repair folder to the scanners folder, boot normal and update, that should solve it.

I’m running an english OS and use malwarebytes and superantispyware as well. I don’t know what version CIS I was running because I decided to uninstall it.

Glad to hear the problem seems to be solved though

The problem may have returned with virus database number 1803 though. My Vista would hang after a few minutes logging in.

Firefox won’t start and the OS just would hnag afterwards.
Disabling CIS AV then restarting seems to fix this though.

Please COMODO take a look at this. I never had any problem with CIS AV and have grown to love it but now it’s annoying at best.

The defense+ is running a bit slow too. Somehow I suspect that the defense+ would not work correctly to pop up the required windows when the AV is turned on.

Hi Michael,

1809 here right now and no return of problems since I did that fix I posted earlier.

Your db corrupted again? , or it’s better with 1809?

Bad

I followed the procedure that Bad Frogger noted about booting in safe mode, renaming base.cav, coping the bases.cav from the repair folder over to the scanner folder, then rebooting. It didn’t work for me. First, I noticed that the size of the bases.cav file in the repair folder was some 98 MB and was last updated 7-7-09. I was under the impression from reading about this that the file from the repair folder was going to be an initial “base” type file that after rebooting would trigger a large update to bring the file up to current status. In my case, the reboot resulted in the computer locking up. I went back into safe mode, deleted the bases.cav I copied from the repair folder, then renamed oldbased.cab to basis.cav to bring my original file back online, then rebooted. I was able to complete a startup, however, it took nearly 20-minutes. At about 15-minutes into the boot, I was able to take a look at process usage and noticed that services.exe was consuming nearly 1.4 GB of my swap memory. It took the balanace of another 10-15 minutes to pull in down to 4 MB.

I’m sure that the problem of slow and/or locking startups is associated with the AV module. I think I’ve noted in a prior post that if I disable the AV and restart, I get a quick normal startup. However, after starting up, if I change from “Disabled” to “Stateful”, the computer locks up.

This problem began on 7-15 following a Windows critical update. I wonder if the .cav file became corrupted with the restart of following the windows update. I also don’t understand why activating a startup using the last known good configuration starts the PC fine, and the AV program works fine. Updates fine, and scans fine (possibly about 8-10 minutes longer than prior virus scans).

Should I uninstall CIS via Revo Uninstaller and install again?

Freezes here too,
Vista 64 bit, English - AMD X2 4850e 4gb ram
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H, onboard ATI HD 3200 graphics.
SATA Hard Drive using AHCI.
Only Defender for other protection.
I have reinstalled with same problem.
Not working since Sunday morning.
Turning off AV allows normal operation of system.
I have since had to install other AV.

@ Bad Frogger: Thanks for your post #50 above.

My PC with Vista Home Premium 64 had the freezing on scan problem and
your procedure fixed me right up.

I was about to remove CIS from my computer.

Weird, my bases.cav is 52.837kb in the repair folder, i’ve zipped it to just over 40mb, if anyone wants it to put over a corrupted repair folders bases.cav, find somewhere for me to upload it to and it’s yours, unless someone steps in and says different installed version have different sizes in the repair folder, then my version is 3.10.102363.531 and I’ve been running normal since i first made the fix.

That’s the version that comes with the installer, now if you have installed AV and updated the first time CIS will ask you to “restart” that’s the point where the downloaded bases.cav from 103MB will be copied to the \repair folder, that could explain the differences in \repair sizes.

Nothing copied to my repair folder after i did the rename and copy across procedure, i updated the bases.cav via the updater, in the scan directory, but the one in the repair folder was before, and still is 52.837kb and i think i like it that way, just in case so to speak :slight_smile:

Unfortunately it did not work with my Vista 64 Ultimate machine. Is there something else going on? I tried this and I got the same thing - locked up after getting to the desktop.