COMODO Time Machine 2.8.155286.178 released

? are they going to do something with this an system clearer the bata CSC gives u the option to install time machine ??

I’ve CTM 2.6 installed on my windows 7. My CTM is set to protect only C:\ drive which is my system drive. As i want to upgrade my CTM to version 2.8; if i format my C:\ drive and re-install a fresh copy of windows 7, will my important documents in other drives be affected? I want a fresh install of windows 7 so that i can defrag my system drive before installing CTM 2.8 . Again i mostly use portable programs which is stored in a different drive other than C:\ drive.
Any help will be appreciated.

Yes and no.
Yes if you’re talking about any document in the CTM protected partition. Then you need to uninstall CTM and set the current system as the restored state.
No if you’re talking about files in another partition, non protected by CTM and you won’t reformat it.

No i’m not talking about any documents in the CTM protected partition(system drive); i’m going to format the CTM protected partition and reinstall a fresh copy of CTM in it. As my system drive contains only OS; i’m not concerned about it. But as i learned CTM change the MBR; so if i reinstall(clean) my OS in the system drive(only which is protected by CTM) will my other drives(none are protected by CTM) be affected?

Uninstall CTM first. Then you’ll restore the default MBR.
Then format/reinstall Windows (keeping the other partitions).

if i reinstall(clean) my OS in the system drive(only which is protected by CTM) will my other drives(none are protected by CTM) be affected?
Your other drives(not protected by CTM) will not be affected. Please uninstall CTM before re-install OS.

Best Regards.

Hi,

Here is another info for you.

I have my virtual Mashine, Virtual Box, Windows XP/SP3, CTM subjected to 2.8, some tests and CTM has passed all these tests ".

Among other things, I’ve converted my virtual box HD in a VMWare HD. The new Mashine runs under the VMware Player 3 without problems.

Then I have my Virtual Box HD from “standart” to “immutable” converts, everything here works without problems.

It gives the impression that CTM 8.2 works very robust and reliable, at least in a virtual environment.

I can not imagine that should work in a real environment CTM is not as effective and stable. With a real PC, I could not and would never so much “nonsense” how to make virtual in my test environment.

My previous statement is: CTM is completely robust, stable and effective.

Regards

4ever

4ever, I’m using CTM in a Virtualbox XP 32 bits (guest). No problems at all. Also I’m using in Windows 7 32 bits (host).

Yes, i think my next step is testing CTM in a real PC.

The idea of CTM is great, so i hope in Future it works great on every (or most) PC System.

But don´t forget: No Software is fully perfekt, not Windows, not another. You can have a Blue Screen only with Windows, without every another Software.

So, i don´t think that CTM must be perfekter like Windows, or?

Regards

4ever

CTM is not (yet) rock solid. Some users faced very huge crash problems and lost data.
But, indeed, the technology behind it is very inspiring.

Does CTM v2.8 work OK on Windows 7, 32 bit?

Hi Lisa,

Yes is does, but there are several things you should be aware of.

CTM cannot co-exist with any other software that uses the MBR of your boot disk.
Although CTM 2.8 is a release version, there have been reports of data corruption.
I’m currently using CTM 2.9 BETA which I find far more stable and predictable, but snapshot restore times are markedly longer with 2.9 than with 2.8 (>10 minutes as opposed to a handful of seconds).

HTH
Ewen :slight_smile:

Hi Ewen :slight_smile:

I only have W7 installed, but I think my HP Laptop uses the MBR for restore purposes as I can press F11 to start rescue restore. So CTM won’t work on my laptop?

Not necessarily so Lisa. I have a Medion desktop PC at home that also allows a system restore by pressing F11 on startup. This system has CTM 2.9 installed and the CTM splash screen appears before the alert to press F11 to do a restore. I have a similar setup on aToshiba laptop that is also running CTM 2.9.

I am not certain that you could (or should) do a restore while CTM was running but I do know that if you first uninstall CTM you can then perform a restore (at least it worked on my system).

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

there is no new version released ? :frowning:

What makes you think there was?
They are currently working on releasing CTM v3 with a new development team but I don’t expect any beta to surface for the end of Q2.

I am going to install 2.8 CTM today. If something goes wrong, how do I uninstall it? And what if it doesn’t remove itself properly from the MBR, what can I do then to fix the W7 MBR so W7 boots again?

Please make very very sure you have a complete backup of your important data on a different media (DVD/External Drive etc).
There have been reports of users losing all data on this version because of a bug.

To fix a MBR you can boot Windows Recovery Console and use ‘FIXMBR’ there.

If something goes wrong uninstalling might cause data loss, You should make your latest snapshot your baseline image, else it will return to the baseline state after uninstall.

Thanks Ronny, so I decided to install 2.9 BETA instead.

And what do you mean when you say, “You should make your latest snapshot your baseline image, else it will return to the baseline state after uninstall.”?

Well, while uninstalling all snapshots are drop except the one you’re restoring to.
If you choose the latest snapshot, it will become your only data after uninstalling.
If you choose the baseline, all your data after the CTM installing will be dropped unrecoverable.