Comodo System Cleaner - Comparison

Sounds good. Will be looking forward to the other product as well! I had a general question about CRC. Do you suggest running it every time a program is uninstalled or updated to keep things tidy?

To KoRn, you should run it after uninstallations (and after a reboot following them, because some files are not deleted until you reboot). About updates, same thing.

So apart from compacting mode is this safe? How can you be sure when tuneup utilities scans 56 reg probs comodo 500+ ( not that I know tuneup is safe)? Just had to put my PC back to factory settings the best speed up I’ve done.

Speaking of safety, Just one thing I’d like to say about file cleaners…

I use CCleaner on all my PCs, it works great and I have never had it delete anything I didn’t want it to - take my case for example:

I use GB-PVR (mediacenter program) to record TV Shows. By default the directory is “C:\Temp” - Yes I know, not the most clever location but I can’t be bothered changing it.

As a result I have a lot of stuff in there eg: “C:\Temp\CSI Miami\CSI Miami_20080710_20302130.mpg” etc etc… but absolutely no temporary files.

Just to let you know… if you guys do decide to make a junk file cleaner… watch out for things like this!!

:THNK
I would like to see a comparison of registry cleaners that includes Registry FirstAid. I have used this program for 3 or 4 years and feel like it is the best registry cleaner out there. It has 3 levels of registry error categories, green for safe, yellow for caution, and red for unsafe removal. By default, it only removes the green safe entries. It doesn’t remove all of them, though. Some are grayed out and cannot be removed. I assume they are in areas of the registry that cannot be modified. I don’t know why they are even included on the safe list. I notice that sometimes after cleaning only the green safe entries, a DOS window pops up after reboot and lists about 15 or 20 entries that cannot be found. These entries don’t have any effect that I can tell on any programs or devices. I don’t know why some safe registry errors that are removed have this effect. I have been running CRC on 3 Vista machines for the last 10 days or so without any problems at all. I like the easy-to-use interface that is laid out similar to all the other Comodo programs. CRC finds and removes more registry errors than Registry FirstAid. But running Registry FirstAid right after running CRC, Registry FirstAid still usually finds and removes about a hundred registry errors that CRC didn’t identify or remove. My own personal comparison of the programs indicates that CRC finds and removes more registry errors, but Registry FirstAid finds different registry errors that CRC doesn’t find. I wonder if the safety for removal of these additional registry errors that Registry FirstAid finds might be suspect, based on the DOS window that pops up listing files that cannot be found? Anyway, I think CRC is a great product, with some bugs to be worked out for Windows XP machines. This is just another product to add to the list of great products that Comodo has developed over the last several years. I started using the Comodo Firewall Pro immediately when it came out for Vista and it is superb. Now with the Beta releases of CIS, you have taken security to the next level. Keep up the excellent work, as it is very much appreciated. To have a security suite that does what it is supposed to do and is not a resource hog is wonderful. I had a license for ZoneAlarm Security Suite when I was running XP, and it worked well. When they finally came out with their security suite for Vista, my license covered the upgrade. I installed it and ran it for about a week, but the resource usage was totally unacceptable. I uninstalled it and ran just their free firewall until Comodo came out with their firewall for Vista. I ran several free anti-virus programs during the time that Comodo was developing their CAVS3 and CIS. Now I am straight Comodo for my security, except that I also run SpywareBlaster. I look forward to the integration of CMF and BOClean into CIS in the future.

larlyles, thank you for your post. Please note, the readability would be much improved if you put blank rows between paragraphs in suitable places… You takes us from a comparison with Registry FirstAid to CIS & ZoneAlarm, and finally integration of CMF into CIS. That’s quite a journey! :wink:

Thanks

LA

RegSeeker is one of the ones that ■■■■■■■ up my system when I tried it.

I think it is missing the point to compare registry cleaners on the basis of how many problems they claim to find. I could write one that cleans more entries than CRC, but I doubt if Windows would run after it…

I suspect that the reason some established products don’t seem to perform so well on that basis is because after being threatened to be sued so many times for screwing up people’s systems, the manufacturers have toned them down a lot.

How is the comparison in terms of specificity? The only harm these softwares can do is related to the low specificity in making detections. I mean: it is not linke an antivirus where you do more harm if you leave an unknown positive instead of deleting it. If you delete false positives in the registry that means messing something that could be crucial to a program or to the OS.

And how is it that comparison supposed to be not biased if it’s made by comodo?

There is a very big difference between tune up utilities 2008 and CRC! when I scanned my system tune up 2008 only found 10 problems… But when I scanned with CRC it found… do not be shocked… it found… ok I tell you… it found more than 1000 invalid registry entries! ??? :o 88) :-\

This just blew my mind in an instance and I do not understand the huge difference… I am afraid to let CRC delete all those entries… there is not much info about the entries and I do not want to damage my windows installation…

Never fear! System Restore is here. Just be sure to leave the Unsafe Entries unchecked so that they won’t be removed.

OK, thanks! I ran the registry leaner and let it clean all those invalid entries… So far I have no problems! It seems my pc is faster also! like I bought it new! I hope this stay so…

But I will keep an eye on systemrestore… (:WIN)

I did some more tests.

I installed Comodo, Regseeker, CCleaner, Easycleaner, RegCleaner, Glary RR, Regscrubxp, jv16 (all free), and the trial of Tuneup, and ran the programs one after another, without fixing my registry.

Here are the results, sorted by the most efficient to the least efficient:

RegSeeker 1.55: 1792 errors
jv16 Powertools 1.3: 1317
Comodo 1.0.17.23: 993 errors, with 888 fixable errors
Glary Registry Repair 3.0: 540 errors
EasyCleaner 2.0: 285 (it strangely crashes my Intellipoint mouse when I run it !)
TuneUp 2008 (trial): 226
RegCleaner 4.3 build 780: 202 errors
Ccleaner 2.12.1660: around 110 errors (there is no counter !)
RegScrubXP: ? (crashes on my Vista SP1)

Except Tuneup 2008 (trial), all other are free.
If you know some other that are free, I’ll gladly run them on my PC, but I’ll probably run a cleanup tomorrow, since my computer is quite slow.

Free Window Registry Repair 1.5

Thanks ! I used the last version 1.5 from:

Two new programs:
Free Windows Registry Repair 1.5: 1675 errors
Wise Registry Cleaner 3.73.131 Free: 852 errors (with 761 fixable)

http://www.velasco.com.br/mvregclean_en_informations.php
http://argentesoftware.blogspot.com/2008/09/argente-registry-cleaner-1502.html (program is in english)

Thanks, never heard of them !

MV RegClean 5.5: 1508 errors
Argente Registry Cleaner 1.5.0.2: 304 errors

My computer is now cluttered with registry cleaners…

AML Free Registry Cleaner 4.12

CCcleaner is a basic registry tool it is more adapted for cleaning out junk.
Registry cleaners can create more problems then they solve, I personally only use Eusing & that’s been tried & tested.
I tested this Comodo registry cleaner this morning & checked through the entries & I don’t understand why it wants to clean Patches for programmes.
& some people have had issues with fixing uninstallers, & when they come to uninstall a programme find they can’t.

This was a comparison of Registry First Aid 6.0 (a paid-for program) and CRC before it was incorporated into Comodo Windows Tweaker.

CRC finds and removes more registry errors than Registry FirstAid. But running Registry FirstAid right after running CRC, Registry FirstAid still usually finds and removes about a hundred registry errors that CRC didn’t identify or remove. My own personal comparison of the programs indicates that CRC finds and removes more registry errors, but Registry FirstAid finds different registry errors that CRC doesn’t find. I wonder if the safety for removal of these additional registry errors that Registry FirstAid finds might be suspect, based on the DOS window that pops up listing files that cannot be found?

Registry First Aid just released their new version 7.0. I downloaded and installed it today. I ran CRC on my computer, and it found only 5 errors, since it had completed a scheduled weekly scan last Saturday. I then ran Registry First Aid 7.0 and it found over 2600 errors. It corrected or removed about 2350 of these. Correcting or removing all these registry entries didn’t break anything on my computer that I can tell. I was surprised by how many more errors version 7.0 of Registry First Aid removed compared to version 6.0. The vast majority of these errors were in two categories: COM and ActiveX, and Application Paths. The program alerts you when it reaches 1000 registry errors found and suggests that you let it find corrections for, or removal of, those entries before continuing with another scan. That is what I did, and had to run the program scan a total of 3 times before all registry errors were located and either corrected or removed.

CRC compared very favorably to Registry First Aid version 6.0, but the CRC in Comodo Windows Tweaker does not compare favorably to version 7.0. Registry First Aid 7.0 doesn’t list the large number of registry errors to leave alone that version 6.0 did. Out of all the errors that version 6.0 would list, it would only recommend correcting or removing about 25% of them. Version 7.0 recommends correcting or removing about 85-90% of the errors it finds. Based on this comparison between the CRC contained in Comodo Windows Tweaker and the latest Registry First Aid version 7.0, it seems like Comodo has a lot of work to do in getting CRC to locate more registry errors that are safe for correction or removal. The scanning speed in Registry First Aid 7.0 has been improved over 6.0, but I did not time the scans for CRC or for Registry First Aid 7.0. CRC was probably a little faster scanning, simply because it didn’t find nearly as many registry errors as Registry First Aid.

Interesting observation.

Alas, Registry First Aid is not free.

I intend to create a blog with registry cleaners, and run a comparison of all the freeware versions (almost 20 registry cleaners, and there is even an open-source one).