In this thread…
…I was told to come here and report the bug described in said thread.
I was told to specify the other programs that I installed, their order, other details. The problem is that I wasn’t (nor should anyone be expected to) keeping the kind of track of things that one should keep if one’s trying to document something for purposes of helping other reproduce a problem…
…and I have great frustration from past situations like this around here where people here chastise for bug reports not sufficiently painstakingly detailed and scientific. I will do the best I can (or, more accurately, the best – and most – that I’m willing to do) here, and that will have to do. I’m busy, and it’s not my software nor my problem that it failed on my system. Take or leave what I’m writing here, but chastise not.
On a copy of 32-bit Vista SP2 running on a 64-bit-capable HP Pavilion notebook with 4GB of RAM, I installed the version of CPM that’s downloadable as of this writing (and, no, I’m not going to go look at what version that is; if “that’s downloadable as of this writing” isn’t sufficiently clear then that, too, is not my problem because it would be sufficiently clear in a contract or a court of law, and that’s good enough for me).
I’m not sure, frankly, if I rebooted after that (nor can I remember if the installation required me to, and so if it did, but I didn’t, then that, right there, might be the problem).
Then I installed two CoffeeCup Software programs: “Flash Button Factory” version 7.0, and then the new “CoffeeCup HTML Editor 2010.” However, complicating that installation was the nearly immediate installation atop that of the even newer “CoffeeCup HTML Editor 2010SE” which didn’t go well, so I uninstalled it and “HTML Editor 2010” and then re-installed just the SE version, alone… all of these things without having rebooted from the CPM installation (if, in fact, that was even required).
So duplicating the symptom may not even be worth trying to duplicate because it was all so weird. But, in any case, the symptom was that whenever I finally did reboot, I got a BSOD with an error telling me that CUMON.SYS “mistakenly marked a part of its image pagable instead of non-pagable” and nothing I did short of finally going back to a previous restore point got me out of the mess.
In defense of, and in fairness to Comodo, though, there may be another complicating factory which has nothing to do with CPM, and that is this: In the days before this happened, I noticed that my system had a little bit of a problem properly rebooting normally on average once out of every maybe three or four reboots; and each of those failures was easily resolved by first rebooting into SAFE mode, and then after that it rebooted normally. This caused me, yesterday, to run SFC /SCANNOW to check and repair all the system files, and I’ve now rebooted something like 8 times right in a row without a problem.
So, maybe there was something wacky with my system which ultimately caused the problem. Maybe it’s not a CPM problem at all. Who knows.
All I know is that if all this seems too unscientific to reproduce or do anything about, that’s because it was never INTENDED to be; nor, again, is it reasonable to expect that it should have been. I wasn’t running scientific tests (which, believe me, I know how to do, and have done gazillions of times). I was just trying to install CPM and a couple other things, and then just use them. No science, just use.
And so all of the above is the best that I can – or am willing – to do on any of this. I won’t answer any questions, and I don’t care if Comodo can’t reproduce it the problem. I was simply trying to be helpful by reporting here something that happened, and if Comodo can use that information, then fine. If it can’t, that’s fine, too… at least as far as I’m concerned.
This, for me, is the end of this. I’ll not be responding to any subsequent comments, questions or criticisms; and I’ll be immediately unsubscribing from this thread so that I get no emails about it.
I’m done. That’s all.