COMODO Internet Security HIGH CPU usage 2023

As I said - I already installed Firewall v12.2.2.8012. Look at “EDIT2” in my post (at the end).

Hi uzz,

Are you getting high cmdagent.exe cpu usage in CFW v12.2.8012 ?

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

As I also said - it’s not every time. It needs time. Today is my first day of work and we will see later (or even after few days).

After first day cmdagent.exe works fine. We will see later - give me few days.
But I start to think that something may be wrong about updating process - maybe not everything updates as supposed to. Few times I read this advices about reinstalling Comodo to fix a problem and problem with cmdagent.exe returns from time to time. It may be then not process itself, but some bug in update (when new version is released and people made update, cmdagent starts behave wrong, so people complains about it no matter what version they’re used). I’m only guessing, but my problems was always after updating firewall. And I’m using Comodo Firewall for years.

I was having the same problem with the latest version I have a license key by the way I uninstalled it and put in that new beta system you have for 2024 I’m still having the same extreme High CPU usage

Well, so far after few days nothing - everything works. We will see. :slight_smile:
But uninstalling and installing new version would be not sufficient. I also deleted all Comodo related keys from registry and files from drive before I installed new version. And of course I am using only Firewall installer, not that “internet security” one. So far so good.

UPDATE: Well, and again - cmdagent.exe and his favorite 8% CPU all the time.

So, as I expected - new version, old version, the same bug, no matter what.

I suggest to release another version, fix completely different things and recommend to test it. :slight_smile:

As I said - it’s rare, it doesn’t happen every day, but it happens and then the only solution is to restart PC.

At least made some button like RESTART CMDAGENT or whatever. Can’t find a bug for years - just made working workarond.

Properties from Process Hacker.
It’s strange, because there is no read/writes (only “other”).

I/O Other Bytes - The number of bytes transferred in input/output operations generated by a process that are neither reads nor writes, including file, network, and device I/Os. An example of this type of operation would be a control function. I/O Other Bytes directed to CONSOLE (console input object) handles are not counted.

Zero disk read/writes, zero internet, but it still working and processing (probably itself) even when I disable completely internet card and basically all activity. CMDAGENT just “working” - made some crazy internal operations in loop.

Hi uzz,

Thank you for providing the information.
We are monitoring cmdagent.exe cpu usage with the latest CIS beta, so far there is no cmdagent.exe consumes high cpu.
However we will take your concern to the team notice and update you.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

Hi volvoscott-gmail.com,

Thank you for reporting.
Could you please share us the screenshot of cmdagent.exe consumes high cpu usage ?
CIS version ?
Win version ?

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

This is just guessing, but I noticed something (or it was a coincidence).
Problem usually starts when something that downloads/uploads lot of data (like Steam or just browser or anything) is closed or terminated. Somehow MAYBE Comodo just do not handle it proper - process disappears and Comodo still processing it or wait for for some reason. If I good remember, i didn’t notice any problems (I think, but I’m not 100% sure) when all programs works even with heavy internet usage. But late evening, when I close most of programs, this happens.
Just a hint.

And what about adding simply button - “restart cmdagent”?
Since this process is heavily protected, only internal Comodo option can do that. It would be not a soluition, but nice workaround (better than system restart).

Hi uzz,

Thank you for providing the inforamtion.
We will test and update you…

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

But please, consider somethng that allows user to restart cmdagent. Button or even separate mini-tool.

cmdagent.zip (2.3 MB)

Small video from ProcessHacker shows this time about 18% CPU.

As I said - too many programs working / closing etc. and cmdagent.exe is completely crazy, works itself etc.

Rest of processes are not related (screen grabber, offline programs etc).
No matter what process I kill - cmdagent.exe is still working at the same CPU utilization.

And believe me - it is the same way for YEARS. So maybe, MAYBE this time someone can really investigate it looking at code, not at user’s computers. I had win7 with the same problem years ago, my wife different computer had the same problem on win10, then I have the same on win10 and now on win11. Different computers, different Windows versions, different Comodo Firewall versions - problem is the same.

Made that restart button at least - I don’t have any hope that you’re able to fix it for good since you never fix it before.

Hi uzz,

Thank you for providing the video.
We will take this to the dev team.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

Today it is at 25% before I even close programs.
And I must work, so my CPU will be a little more hot.

Please, encourage your programmers to look at code, give them an idea for restart cmdagent button, whatever. I don’t want to switch to some ZoneAlarm after all these years of using Comodo. And I have not so big choice if we’re talking about firewalls without AV.

Hmm
I think this is because the cmdagent.exe process is currently writing to cislogs.sdb the events that are occurring, especially if a program such as Process Monitor is open. This is because the memory of the protected process is being accessed at this point, so such events are being written at that point and therefore there is increased activity on that side.

So, in general, the file is used to save logs of given events (a kind of log).

As for the CPU usage, I didn’t notice that it was under any significant load.

Ok, so after I installed that CIS beta and unchecked AV component before installation, it actually installs only Firewall, which makes me happy.
And, surprise, surprise, no cmdagent.exe problem for few days now. But we will see - I must watch for it a little longer.

1 Like

I knew it! I just knew it!
What a waste of time.
cmdagent still eating cpu.

GUYS! Please!
If something is not in changelog and if something is a problem for MANY YEARS that means - IS NOT FIXED!

Isn’t it obvious?

The same problem, no matter how many times you recommend to install “updated version”, “beta version” or ANY OTHER version! This cmdagent will be stuck on high cpu no matter what! You know why?

BECAUSE is bad written! For years! Sure - if you test it by using your computer for browsing Facebook and sending small emails to your friends, it will probably work. But really - try some hardcore work including opening lot of programs that utilizes internet connection, then close them etc. After 10 hours of working (yes, I am work a lot, computer is not just my hobby, is also something I must using all the time in my work) it will begin behave like that.

So now, after I finally proove that I had right and problem exists not because I am not tried some beta/sheta/whatever magic version (magic, because according to Comodo stuff here, it MAY work just because version number increase), but because Comodo Firewall has a bug. Bug that nobody cares and probably not even single programmer tried to fix. For years.

I suggest two things:

1. Stop giving advices like “update Comodo” if you’re not absolutely sure that it contains specific fix, otherwise you’re just wasting people time.
  2. Or just release another version with bigger number without any changes - who knows, maybe version number is very important and problem somehow disappears.

I am disappointed and a little angry, because I bet that meanwhile I was testing two or three versions (including beta), not even single programmer review single line of code to find this problem.

But seriously - just add option to restart cmdagent.exe - it will be at least working workaround. And I think not very difficult to write. For sure better than restarting computer.

I sent you three screen shots that you asked for you should have all the information you need it’s actually pretty load today it’s only around 26% to 29% but it’s constant it never stops and it can go as high as 97% and I have to completely shut down and restart
Capture1

Capture3

And this problem will be there forever.
Since is the same problem for YEARS and I doubt that programmers wants to dig that deep, it would be always looking for workarounds like “try new version, maybe we fixed it”.
Well, if they would know for sure what causes that (it requires deep investigation on programmer’s side, not screenshot from users), it would be fixed long time ago.
I switched to different firewall - worse, but at least do not freeze with eating my CPU.

I send a proposal that they at least add button to restart Comodo service (or cmdagent service), but I get no answer (that part of my posts was ignored). This at least would be some workaround - how to unfreeze Comodo without system restart.