COMODO Internet Security 4 and Application Incompatibility Problems Reporting

Hello Guys,

Does CIS4 restricting an application that you trust?
Do you have a program that does not work properly if it is sandboxed by CIS4?

Please let us know the following details:

1 - COMODO Internet Security/Antivirus/Firewall Version
Go to More…->About and check “Product Version”
2 - Information about the product which you are having problems with
What is the name of the product?
What is the version of the product?
Where can we get this product?Do you have a URL for us to get it?
What exactly is the problem? Please let us know the exact description of the problem.

What is the solutiuon?
Although, we will be analyzing the problems and addressing them, you do NOT have to wait for us at all.

You have the following options:

1 - You can add the applications not recognized by CIS4 to “My Own Safe Files” list and they will not be sandboxed again.
2 - You can add the publisher of the software to the “My Trusted Software Vendors” list.

Both of the above can be achieved by using the Sanboxed Application alert window or by using Defense±>Common Tasks section.

Please Note
Some of you might be using patched versions of the legitimate software. This is commonly used by people to cheat while using chat applications , games etc. CIS4 will NOT be trusting these applications by default and will sandbox them.

So if you receive such notifications from CIS4 about such commonly used applications like MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger etc, please make sure you are not using patched versions. The only way to prevent auto sandboxing is to manually add those applications to “My Own Safe Files” list.

Same bugs as in last RC version:

Can’t paste text into MS FrontPage or Mirabyte Feed Writer. Adding Frontpg.exe and FeedWriter.exe to My Safe Files solves the problem.

Double clicking on a MS Word document opens Word, but Word claims it can’t find the file. Adding Winword.exe to My Own Safe Files cures the problem. Winword.exe was successfully submitted from My Pending Files and was alerted by already being submitted.

Opening Adobe Acrobat (not Reader) opens Acrobat, but Acrobat can’t modify the registry. Adding Acrobat.exe to My Own Safe Files cures the problem. Acrobat.exe was successfully submitted from My Pending Files and was alerted by already being submitted.

All files were already submitted and accepted in the previous RC.

MS Office 2000 - Winword.exe v9.0.2720, Frontpg.exe v4.0.2.2717
FeedWriter.exe v1.5.3
Acrobat.exe v4.0.0318.16:59

I want to report that if sandbox is turned on even when the game is listed as a safe application, it would suffer performance hit that’s noticeable by frequent and consistent stutters.

:-[

It sandboxes the file GameOverlayUI.exe from Valve corporation even after the file is added to my own safe files and Valve is added to the Trusted Vendors list reading from that very file.

Some games like teamfortress2 don’t work until we disable defense+ permanently
For TF2, i can’t add it to safe file because steam check them each time i run the game and they are add to my pending files. Disable Defense+ or Sandbox don’t change anything, i must disable it permanently.

Steam is still sandboxed in defense+ logs while i add valve to my Trusted Publisher and team fortress 2 is signed by Valve.

Hi Egemen. I have been using the latest version of Shadow defender .25, and experiencing a “hang” when it needs to be rebooted. It sits there doing nothing saying “waiting”. The only way to re enable the app is to do a hard shutdown. I am using the final release of version 4, Cis in w7 32 bit and have had the sandbox enabled. This problem also occurred in the last Rc version as well.

Could it be that Shadow Defender and The Cis sandbox have a compatibility issue?. I felt the need to have the sandbox enabled when i was installing apps when not in shadow mode, but now i am thinking to leave it disabled at all times unless i am out of shadow mode.I am going to test Shadow defender without the sandbox enabled and see if SD enables properly. i will report back with results.

Regards
Dave123

Hello again Egemen. Just disabled The Cis sandbox and rebooted in seconds to Shadow Defender. So my conclusion is They dont play together without one or the other being disabled. I have more confidence at the moment in Shadow defender as i have had issues in tests of a trojan supposedley being isolated with the sandbox and then being found by Gdata in a Hitman pro scan, and subsequently Cav scan itself.This is worrying. Whilst its good news that Cavs picked up a zero day malware on an on demand scan that the likes of Prevx A Squared, Nod 32 and Avira could not, the fact that the sandbox lulled me into a false sense of security is plain dangerous.

In conclusion i will watch the forums closely for a fix to the sandbox “bypass” thing and then try it again whilst Shadow defender is enabled. Therefore i am looking for a fix to the incompatibility thing if there is one and a fix to the by pass.

Regards
Dave1234.

My Bug (sorry for my poor english)
Win Xp 32bit SP3 running Comodo CIS4 with max level FW on Custom Policy & D+ on Paranoid

Everytime pc starts I receive a SB popup for 2 exe:

So I decide to put manually the exe on “my owns safe file” but CIS said is stil here (and you can see on background image is not true) (pic 2)
I even try checking D+ Setting to create rules for safe applications but the issue still continue

Here the pics, D+Event (pic 3) said the 2 exe are Limited even if I check different (pic 1)
Obviously with SB disabled no issue
Thanks

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/2553/clipboard03gv.th.jpg

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/176/clipboard02tb.th.jpg

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/2778/clipboard01wm.th.jpg

I have the same problem with TeamSpeak 3.

I got Team Fortress working by disabling the sandbox and deleting the global rules for all incoming and all outgoing connections. I also added Valve to the Trusted vendors list after putting Steam.exe, GameOverlayUI.exe, and hl2.exe in My Own Safe Files. With the sandbox enabled, it still kept sandboxing those files so I had to disable it. It will remain disabled until it’s working right.

Today I was trying add GameOverlayUI.exe and steam to My Own Safe Files when he said to me that these files are already safe. So comodo is whitelisting this files. Good Job comodo. ;D

No they aren’t. It only says they’re safe if you have previously added Valve to the Trusted Vendors list or if you have told the sandbox not to put them in which automatically adds them to your safe files list. Comodo is not whitelisting them, you are.

:open_mouth: sorry then.

GTA 4 doesnt work when sandboxed. I have added rockstar in my trusted vendor list but still GTA 4 doesnt work as rockstar social club reports an error. I had posted the error in the bug report session of first beta.

UP
I would post it on Bugs thread but I have no possibility to get a new topic there, I don’t know why but does not appear the button, so …
someone here ???

Two problems:

1. If I rename or delete ComodoSE.exe (SecureEmail new version checker), CIS sandboxes it over and over. I have reported that as a bug.

2. When I start Adobe InDesign CS4, PerformanceMonitor.exe is sandboxed. I don’t have that file, which is part of InDesign CS4 Server. It’s described in this pdf, page 12: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/indesign/pdfs/performance-metrics.pdf

CIS 4.0.135239.742

[attachment deleted by admin]

Please all try to provide as much information as possible but at least the information requested by Egemen on your reports:
This will make investigating and fixing the issues much more easy and much less time consuming (higher fix chance).

Please let us know the following details:

1 - COMODO Internet Security/Antivirus/Firewall Version
Go to More…->About and check “Product Version”
2 - Information about the product which you are having problems with
What is the name of the product?
What is the version of the product?
Where can we get this product?Do you have a URL for us to get it?
What exactly is the problem? Please let us know the exact description of the problem.

1. 4.0.135239.742
  2. World of Warcraft patch 3.13 (Battlechest which includes basic WOW and Burning Crusade)

Problem - Sandboxes Launcher.exe even though selected not to and sandboxes wow.exe

When both items added to my safe files it works temporarily bu items gone from my safe files after running program.

After doing some more testing on my VM, I have chased the problem down. I am running a modified explorer.exe. It is in a different folder from the original, but has the same name. When I go back to the original explorer.exe, CIS works and my permissions are OK. If I disable Sand Box (or just disable “Automatically trust files from trusted installers”) everything works also. I don’t know what this all means, but I hope the CIS team can address it. I suspect I am not the only person who is running a modified explorer.exe.
I just found my modified explorer.exe on the Pending list and the Defense+ Events list (“Sandboxed as”). There was another file in each as well. I removed them from the Pending list and placed both on my My Own Safe Files list. There were no files on the Programs in the Sandbox list. I then restarted Windows (VM) and it hung on the Logon screen “Saving your settings”. After a Reset, my system came up and seems OK - at least no CIS or permissions problems.
Thanks, John.

Hello, I’m running CF 4.0.13529.742 and I regularly get Sandbox message asking for “UpdateTask.exe”, when I go over the box I can see full file path C:\Program Files\Ask.com\UpdateTask.exe".
I tried to put it to blocked apps (from Defense+ events) with no success. I cannot handle it manually because such directory is not on my disk! “Programs in the sandbox” is empty.
I unchecked Ask.com during Comodo installation so in my option it shlould not be installed at all.
How to avoid/remove it? Thanks.