COMODO Firewall Pro Version 2.4.10.131 BETA Released

Hi all, i’ve been running the latest 2.4 betas up until now, I havent had too much trouble in the last few betas except for increased cpu usage (running a old p3 800mhz with sp2 installed.) It seems to be fixed with the latest beta however, as I’m noticing less cpu cycles being used in process explorer

With this latest beta however, I cannot access Comodo from the tray…the firewall is active, i can set rules and allow applications no problem but I cannot doubleclick it from the tray period, right click and left click dont work. The only way I can access the main window is it I open it from my start menu and activate the program from there, but other than that it still seems to be running fine. Any advice?

Still not able to replicate any of the above major issues despite giving CFP a fairly good pasting over the last 6 hours. Sorry Sabin, I’ve no idea what could be the problem with your systray icon.

However, I did find a couple of issues with CFP 2.4.10.131 that also existed in CPF 2.3…

1. CFPs current Log entries are lost on reboot/shutdown unless CFP is manually closed before the reboot/shutdown.

2. The Scan for Known Applications wizard still only scans my C drive, ignoring the bulk of my applications on the D drive (extended partition). I also still think it is a bad idea to scan the $Uninstall directories under the Windows directory.

That’s it so far.

operating system xp pro sp2…
dell d820 core duo notebook…
no mini dump…all the info has already been deleated by me…

Hi dread,

Does this occur only with the current BETA or with the previous BETAs too? As far as i see, there is a software called Daemon Tools in your PC which is triggering this condition.

Thx for the feedback,
Egemen

What other security software do you have installed? Daemon tools for example?

Egemen

Noooo…
Now I got an OLE popup (see image)… I clicked block without remember, clicked a new link and got a new OLE message about the same thing. Application and parent was Firefox/explorer. The rule also already existed, so It doesn’t remember either…
Now I clicked block without remember again, and Firefox lost internet connection.
A restart of Firefox was enough to get it to work again. I have never had to reboot the PC like many others, but that might have to do what kind of connection you have.

[attachment deleted by admin]

installed… will monitor. so far so good.
uninstall/install was uneventful.

When I turned on my computer today, for the very first time CPF said that cmdagent.exe (‘Services’ as parent) wanted to connect to you 195.92.253.137. Is that right? cpfupdat does every day but never seen cmdagent want to do that. Why would it any way?

Mark

This did not happen with the other betas, this version is the only version that has caused bsod. I do not have Daemon Tools installed, I have Alcohol 120% installed.

OK further to this, the thing that seems to trigger it is when CPF asks me to allow a rule where an “Allow invisible connection attempt” is set - such as a program launching itself (Firefox restart). This wipes out previously set rules with different parents and sets “Skip Parent”.
Although all my Thunderbird rules are OK so far and not wiped out like WinWhois and Firefox.

Not a problem but FYI - cmdagent now uses twice as much memory - 14.5K instead of 7.5K. CPF.exe uses slightly more, maybe 4K at 18.5K.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes this is quite normal. This version of CFP, for the sake of self defense, verifies the certificate information embedded in our own executables like CPF.exe,cmdagent.exe etc etc. to prevent malware attacks to itself.

For that, it can connect to Comodo servers(as Comodo is a certificate authority) to download certificate revocation list(CRL).

Hope this helps,

Egemen

I didn’t saw anyone posted it yet, did anyone checked if it works now with Windows Vista?

the whole topic sounds like an emergency session…before the release of the final version, hope you can make it for tomorrow, in the meantime I’m gonna give a try to this beta, I just downloaded it…

Ok fixed. Thank you very much for the cooperation.

Egemen

you’ll have to wait for version 3.0 (probably in march) for Vista compatibility.

The delay is understandable when CPF is running for the first time. Because its digital certificate is being verified while it starts to communicate with other subsystems. But after that you should not see such significant delays.

If not, can you please describe the situation in detail? For example, when does this occur? What is the “delay”(i.e. clicking delay, show up delay etc.)?

Thx,
E

Hi Sabin,

What sort of applications do you have installed in your PC? Especially windows shell/theme enhancement products, toolbars, taskbar programs etc. Can you try to give us more information about such software?

Thx,
Egemen

Thanks Egemen, that sounds great.

I’m happy with this beta except for the “Skip Parent” problem reported above.

Mark

just rebooted after first install (I have not yet imported the old rules). Everything runs just fine, no issue at all, no delay whatsoever with popups, and cmd agent keeps quiet. Oh yes I like the new design of the icon in the system tray, it looks nicer and is less distractive than before, may be a minor feature, but I appreciate it. As soon as I get a bug, I’ll post a message, may be I won’t get any… (:WIN)

I know that might sound strange to others who wrote in this topic, but although I’ve only run this beta for a couple of minutes, and rebooted, started a few apps like firefox etc…, I never had a version of this firewall that run so smoothly as the current beta, hope that won’t change (lol).