COMODO Firewall Pro Version 2.4.10.131 BETA Released

OK, thanks dread. If you could keep the dump for awhile, Egemen will ask for it if he needs it.

Once again, many thanks.

This version has the Portuguese language ?

Thanks.

Just curious if Improved OLE automation handling speaks to this issue?

example…

I’m hoping that this post can be turned into a positive… that it “can be” / “has been” fixed…

Given recent discussions (Starting Here, I believe it’s supposed to. However, I think it’s possible that we (the users) are talking about “oranges” and they (Comodo) are talking about “apples;” ie, we may not be on the same page regarding the issue.

With that in mind I have installed this version, and have been unable to duplicate any of the previous OLE attempts with applications that were the chief offenders. I did not import any rules; I started over for just that purpose. Whatever may be occuring, I have not seen any OLE alerts there.

However, when I set it up initially, I selected to see alerts for Comodo-certified apps to see what Windows was doing. About the third alert (all svchost.exe/services.exe) was an OLE showing svchost.exe as the App, services.exe as the parent, and the text said that explorer.exe was using OLE on svchost.exe. I allowed without remember, because I didn’t want to risk losing my internet at that point, and having to reboot. I will shut down tonight, and see what happens in the morning when I boot up and login. I will deny it if it pops up, to see what happens.

On other issues, I have not seen any decrease in performance; if anything, opening FF and browsing seems faster than with 2.3.6.81. Email with Outlook is fine as well. I ran the Apps Wizard; it did not create a rule for FireFox, so I did it when it popped me.

LM

Until now it seems to work like expected… :slight_smile:

After uninstall Comodo, to make a clean install of this beta, Comodo left this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\COMODO Firewall Pro
C:\Documents and Settings\X\Start Menu\Programs\Comodo
C:\Program Files\Comodo

The new tray icon is much better :D, but I still see the old icon on Process Explorer…

I scanned for known applications, and then restarted the firewall. Now the delay was back… about 5 min. after the delay started again, it is gone again…

The ram usage has gone up for every beta version, and now is at 10+18mb at boot and 14+19 right now. the last stable was 7+15mb.

OLE update:

I was shutting down for the day, and as soon as I closed Outlook, I got the attached popup from CFP, saying that explorer.exe had OLE’d Outlook. I denied without remember, then submitted CAVS files. It was able to connect and send (it was sending three CFP files, btw).

Then I opened Firefox to post this message, and it worked.

Previously, any time I would deny an OLE message, I was unable to access the internet in any way until a reboot. Thus far, (fingers crossed) it seems to be better…

LM

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kail—

I did not import any rules; I started from scratch. (I’ve been testing another vendor’s firewall for the past month.) FWIW, I have Prevx1 and AVG AV running real-time. Prevx1 is prone to compatibility issues with just about everything that hooks into the XP kernal, so I’m not exactly surprised.

l have used several of the Beta releases and this appears to be the smoothest, yet. I use the Learning monitor. It is the first Beta that allows me to use Firefox 2.01 (default browser) without having to certify that it is OK.

Many Thank & Happy New Year!

Just downloaded the beta, I will report any bugs I find.

Sorry, I forgot the picture:

Hi,

Except for the 5 second delay with the Comodo Firewall popups, everything seems fine.

hi
just tried it…
bsod each time i rebooted…
tried 3 times to boot into windows after installing this version…
had to go to safe mode to disable it starting up…
rebooted and bsod again…
safe mode…uninstalled it…reboted and my system was back to normal…
1st time this has happened and i have tried every beta so far…
(:WAV)

Interesting what OS do you use?

Think I may have found part of the problem some people are having with this iteration.

When comodo is uninstalled it leaves behind legacy registry setting.

I did the following:

1. Imaged my “C” drive

2. Uninstalled Comodo using it’s unistaller

3. Restarted

4. Automatic Install …131 did not install old registry config.

5. Restarted

6. Net access at at crawl with Firefox.

7. LAN at a crawl

8. Installed pre-uninstall image

9. Uninstalled Comodo

10. Restart

11. Clean registry if all Comodo left overs.

12 Removed Comodo Folder left in Program Files and user files.

1. Restarted

2. AutomaticInstalled Comodo … 131

15 Restart

1. Tested WAN or LAN access… no slowing

2. Reinstalled registry config saved from previous beta install.

All is running well with old config file… This is, however, a preliminary test. But no problems thus far.

It should be noted for those who are unfamiliar with legacy registry files that they are locked and the premissions need to be changed to delete them. If you want to do this be sure you have a back up or better yet an image of the drive in case something gets hosed.

For some reason either by design or oversite when Comodo’s uninstaller is run it is leaving behind registry entries that may be cause of some of these problems.

FWIW, Comodo is the only other firewall that I am aware of that has locked legacy registry entries that don’t get cleaned during the uninstall process. The other one is Kerio

Hope this helps.

To interested,
Can you please upload minidump here for us to analyse the reason of BSOD?
Additionally you can also mail that to me (umesh@comodo.com)

Thanks
-umesh

Hi all, a couple of things with the Beta versions so far, (all of them), to do with the Application Control editor:

A) If you go into Application Control and choose to edit a program, the edit dialog doesn’t reflect the programs current access rule.

e.g. If the current rule is:

Program.exe [Any] [Any] TCP/UDP In Allow

The edit dialog will always have ‘Direction: In/Out’ selected.

It should reflect the current setting as the 2.3.x public release does.

B) To put it another way, this is what I can reliably duplicate every time here:

1. Open Application Control Rules

2. Edit an application for which there’s a separate ‘In’ and ‘Out’ rule that has been generated by CFP, (e.g. Thunderbird ‘In’ rule).

3. Click OK - WITHOUT changing anything else - CFP removes the ‘In’ rule leaving just ‘Out’

3a) If you edit the remaining ‘Out’ rule and just click OK, CFP turns it into a ‘In/Out’ rule.

1. Run the application, (Thunderbird), CFP will open an alert and recreate the ‘In’ rule - even though I never deleted it - it deleted it back at step 3.

I think this is all tied up with the ‘not remembering’ bug.

This didn’t happen with the 2.3.x public release and this is on a install with no rules imported from previous installs.

Here you go Umesh

No problems here ;D. No delayed dialog boxes or slowness in firefox loading. All registry entries removed prior to installling this build.

:slight_smile:

Edit: Would also like to say that the system tray icon has vastly improved ;D. Not sure about the directional arrows (would be nice to include traffic on the original icon) but the firewall status (shield colour) is perfect.