Comodo Firewall Icon

Hi,
I just received and installed update 5.0.163652.1142 for Comodo Stand Alone Firewall. The previous ‘normal operation’ icon was a white shield. Since this new update the notification area icon is a red shield with a white C. Is this now considered ‘normal operation’; I have run the troubleshooter a few times, but it shows nothing. If my system is vulnerable under this setup, I will ‘system restore’ back to before the update. My OS is WinXP Pro, SP3, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD, AVG9.
Thank you.
Bob

Hi,

With the release of CIS 2011 there was a change in the GUI and the Tray icon has been changed to the red shield with a white C, so your system is fine.

It has raised a few comments with the icon being red ( normally a bad sign :o ) and I’m sure the Team have noted this :-TU

:comodo110: :comodorocks:

Hi Dolphin66,
Thanks very much for your prompt reply.
However, I do have another anomaly; I use MailWasher Pro, and though they are having issues with their application, I was able to have it load and work fine on my system with some ‘repair’ functions, but, since the Comodo Firewall update, I cannot get MW to load even after using the repair module. I have been thru the firewall to make sure MW has the proper permissives, but it will still not load. I have an ongoing communication with MW on the issues but I have to tell them of this latest problem. Does anyone have any advice?
Thank you,
Bob

This could be a sandbox issue.

Can you make sure the file is not in Unrecognised Files. If so, please move it to Trusted Files. Restart the application (check with task manager it is no longer running). When that doesn’t help reboot.
Also read Mouse1’s Introduction to the v5 Sandbox (see my signature) and How can I prevent software being sandboxed? and see if that brings any help.

Hi EricJH,
Thank you for your concern. Just so I know you know MW did load and perform okay with previous Comodo Firewall installation, and from the way your reply reads should I have received an alert? Because there was no indication from Comodo that is was affecting MW in any way. I have sandbox disabled.
Thank you,
Bob

If the sandbox is switched off then it obviously is not a sandbox problem…:smiley:

Can you take a look in the Defense + and Firewall logs and post screenshots of them when you see alerts for MW. The logs are in View Defense + Events and View Firewall Events.

Hi EricJH,
Thank you for your continued concern.
I hope I have done it correctly, hopefully you can see and understand the attachments.
Thank you,
Bob

I see nothing out of the ordinary in the firewall logs.

Could you also post a screenshot of the Defense + logs? They are in View Defense + Events.

Hi EricJH,
This is my third attempt to get this attachment to you. Do you know that a ‘post’ will not happen unless you go to ‘preview’ first. I hope I make it this time.
Thanks,
Bob

Not sure what you may/may not have been doing, but you don’t need to preview for a post to go through.

Hi HeffeD,
If I don’t go through ‘preview’ when I click ‘Post’ regardless of how much time I’ve spent composing the message I get an error “Your session has timed out”.

Hmmm… That isn’t normal forum behavior. ???

Nothing out of the ordinary with the D+ logs.

Please try the following to see if Defense + plays a role:

• Disable Defense + by moving the slider to disabled in Defense + Settings → General
  • When that doesn’t help disable Defense + by ticking “Deactivate Defense+ permanently (Requires a system restart)” and rebooting in Defense + Settings → General

Let us know if one of the above methods makes it work.

Hi EricJH,
Thanks again for your concern.
I tried both of your recommendations and I’m sorry to say there is no change. Should I restore Defense+? Where do we go from here?
Thank you,
Bob

Please enable D+ again. It was only disabled for testing.

Can you see what happens when you add the installation folder of MWP to the Exclusions of shellcode injections?

Hi EricJH,
Thanks again.
Why does everything happen to me, you’re not going to believe this. I right click on the Comodo Icon in the notification area and nothing happens (many tries), I double left click - nothing happens, I went to the start menu click Comodo Firewall - nothing happens! WOW! I checked Process Explorer cfp.exe is shown as a running process and occasionaly using CPU time. NOW WHAT!
Thank you,
Bob

I have no idea why it is not respoding to clicking the tray icon. Does the problem still happen after rebooting There is a problem with XP where it will not show systray icons: How To: Fix Missing System Tray Icons at Windows XP startup . Not sure if it related; just thinking out loud here.

Did you try what I wrote in my previous post? Does that help to make MWP work?

Hi EricJH,
TU. I’m reasonably certain I have already included MW on that exclusions list; when I started having the problem I went into Comodo and put MW (as applicable) on any permissive ‘lists’ I could find and I do believe that was one of them. I have a couple things going and I can’t reboot right now, I too am hoping that solves this new wrinkle.
Thank you,
Bob

Please make sure MWP is in the shell code injection exclusion list.

Hi EricJH,
Yes I have and yes it is on the list. MWP still will not load.
Thank you.
Bob