COMODO Firewall 3.0.18.309 has been released !!!

also interested to know why 3.0.18 is 5mb larger then 3.0.17?

Josh.

i’ve always kept an eye on the installation folder in \program files and for those wondering about the size increase its all due to a file named bases.cav and Yes this is the spyware bases used by the AV scanner…

the program files without this never increases in size ( actually seems to decrease for me by just a little, i use x64 )

So stop fretting unless you don’t want the latest bases when using the on-Demand scanner Tool… :■■■■

I don’t really care. Comodo can use 200 mb. As long it is light on resourses it doesn’t matter :SMLR

Every other piece of software I use works file with UAC on. Why does Comodo have to be awkward.

hope no rule issue anymore

Well, I guess at this point I consider myself another casualty. Even with the latest release, I still cannot do a clean uninstall of the previous version followed by a successful clean install of the new version. I consistantly get the big red X and “The firewall is not functioning properly” message. I’ve mentioned this in other threads, and seen lots of posts from other people with the same problem, but it’s still not fixed.

YES, I’ve followed the detailed uninstall instructions to the letter. YES, I’ve run the diagnostics (sometimes they run, sometimes not. When they do run, they report problems, then report they could not fix them, then offer to generate a report, which contains a log with no indication of any errors.

Sure, the update works fine, but what the heck does a user do if the Comodo installation becomes corrupt and needs a fresh install? I simply can’t risk my data, or a reformat, until I get some answers or a solution to this issue. I’m not a rookie by any means, but this one has me stumped. It occured to me that there might be incompatible software, but that can’t be true, or the update over my old install wouldn’t work.

In any case, I guess I’ll be reverting to a competing firewall for now, until this is addressed. I remain a Comodo supporter, and will continue to read and participate in this forum.

As for me 3.0.18 is the first version which malwares scan works fine! :BNC

Nice to see those double entries fixed ;D. The update itself went smoothly and everything is working just fine.
(V)

Just updated, so far so good. Thanks Comodo!

I have updated from 3.0.16.295 to 3.0.17.304. After updating from 3.0.17.304 to 3.0.18.309 can I import 3.0.16.295 settings into 3.0.18.309?

Ok, this version is not looking too bad.
I lost video on my box and I thought it was Comodo as that was the last software I installed, but then I discovered that the GPU was overheating due to an abundance of dust in the fan.
Luckily I had a spare video card to substitute while I washed the other video card; as soon as it dries I will put it back in and continue testing.

Hopefully there won’t be any more showstopper bugs so they can get to work on the interface.

So, so far so good.
(:CLP)

Hey axl,

As you undoubtedly know, please allow minimum 24 hours air drying time in a dehumidifed environment if you are actually going to “wash” the fan/video card. A good final check is to put it in a sealed plastic bag and leave it in the sun for about an hour on each side. If there is residual moisture anywwhere, you should be able to see it condensing on the inside of the bag.

Bitter voice of experience speaking here - just because you can’t see moisture, doesn’t mean it isn’t there.

Ewen :slight_smile:

then tell me how do I erase the “bloat” from this awesome “firewall”? I have a firewall for a firewall and a spyware scanner for a spyware scanner… I do not need one program for everything or I would use Zone Alarm…

Roger

*that was a joke about using Zone Alarm (it sucks)

This is the point I have been trying to make.
Comodo Firewall Pro v2.4 IS A FIREWALL; Comodo Firewall 3.0 is NOT, IT IS A HIPS PRODUCT.

They should rename it to something like, Comodo Security Pro.
The option of “only installing Firewall” is not a real option; the Defense+ code is still there, as evidenced by some posts.
Now we have this Anti-malware scan to deal with, even though some might not need or care about extra Malware scanning.

I am becoming convinced that there is a Price for Free.

Essentially, nothing is ever “Free”; someone has to pay.
In this case, Comodo pays by coming up with a business model which brings in income.
Since Comodo not only has to deliver a working product, but also has to find a way to pay for the product, the level of support can never be the same as a product which is supported by paying users.

Since 40 euros is nothing for me to spend on a security product, quite possibly I may be better off with a pay-for firewall.

Maybe Comodo should release a pay-for firewall, since their product is most excellent already?
:THNK

I’m afraid the auto update to this version was not so good.
I let the auto updater take care of it, rather than uninstalling then installing anew. None of the settings were retained, a few of the applications I use (eg Limewire) had no internet access at all.
If you are going to include an auto updater with the product, it should work without further user intervention, IMO. Also, as part of the installation, I selected “defense+ off”, yet it was on after installing. I had to manually disable it.
There were a few more instances of applications having no access, Firefox this time, a restart usually fixed it, but too late for this user.
I’ve uninstalled it and have gone back to v2.4, which seems to work well, and will not be revisiting-nor recommending-v3 again.

Hi,

everything seems allright till now…

good job, men (R)

Hi there, I was using version 2.4 until I read this thread and other user opinions and think…ok… it’s time to give a try to CPF 3.0.

So I finally uninstalled my CPF 2.4, did some files & registry keys cleaning and installed Comodo 3.0.18.309, I was freaking scary about the upcoming results !!!.. but well :BNC CPF 3.0 is working fine (installed 36 hour ago).

Just have the following comments:

1. at the installation process, even if the user deselect Defense+ it’s installed and activated !!!

The reason that I don’t want Defense+ is because I’m already suing NOD32 which for me is the best Antivirus system and spyware, malware, and all the other “ware” on-demand and real-time scanner

1. the default Firewall setup is very permissive (“Train with safe mode”), at last for my personal taste, I think that comodo did it that way so that many no-tech-savvy users maybe be able to instantly get the firewall up and running without many pop-ups… but hey !!! it should be better if at installation, the installer let you decide at which level to start!

2. The Idea of Comodo of having a HIPS product seems good, but what about the users that only seeks a basic (but very effective) firewall? just like CPF 2.4 was? I think that Comodo should let the users choose which components to install and not install everything and then just disable the not-used components.

Well, now the good comments:

I love the way CPF works and how resource friendly is !!! If I’m not wrong the cfp.exe and cmdagent.exe uses less resources than CPF 2.4 !!! (V)

Also the pop up windows are more informative and very well structured.

keep the great Job Comodo team !!! and remember to always keep your apps resource friendly… not because now days we have computers with 2 GB of ram and 120 GB HDD means that software development has to get dirty and throw MONSTER APPS that eat resources (like Symantec products, sorry symantec).

Best regards
Hector

Hola Hector:

) at the installation process, even if the user deselect Defense+ it's installed and activated !!!!

The reason that I don’t want Defense+ is because I’m already suing NOD32 which for me is the best Antivirus system and spyware, malware, and all the other “ware” on-demand and real-time scanner

There is no realtime scanner in v3. You can install the full defense+, it wont slow down your computer. Defense+ is the system firewall part of v3. It contains functions similar to application and component monitor in v2.4 and many more. If you disable it, you will loose all of the system protection, you will only have a very basic firewall.

3) The Idea of Comodo of having a HIPS product seems good, but what about the users that only seeks a basic (but very effective) firewall? just like CPF 2.4 was? I think that Comodo should let the users choose which components to install and not install everything and then just disable the not-used components.

In the latest version of cfp AFAIK there are 3 modes to choose from when installing.

• Basic mode: defense+ will be completely disabled, you will only have the firewall (not protetcing from leaks, only from network related ie: ICMP
  • Anti-leak mode: It will partially enable defense+, only with functions turned on to pass leaktests; this mode will give similar protections and popup types as in v2.4
    [li] default, recomended mode:this will have defense+ fully enabled, this will give you a fully working hips. Defense+ in cleanpc mode which means everything on your computer at the time of instalaltion will be considered safe and learned, but everything modified or added after installing cfp will fire an alert. You can change this setting later.

Great.
Update works fine. But need also two restarts in my Environment (XP SP2).
One after the update and the second for the upgrade of the configuration files.

Another thing would be really fine:
Please integrate in the update UI (Searching for new update) a version Information. Like “You have Version 3.0.14. Would you update to 3.0.18”

Thanks
Stefan

It seems that the code for creating permanent rules from D+ alert windows has been changed in 3.17 in a way that now requires parsing of the better part of existing D+ ruleset. This creates very notable slowdowns as such parsing takes CFP 3-6 seconds of 100% CPU usage (50% for dual-core systems). I mentioned the slowdown earlier, but by now I’ve been through some alert windows where no rules needed to be created, and the difference is staggering. I also measured slowdown times, as well as the time taken by D+ to apply a changed Computer Secutiry Policy from the main menu.