Comodo Dragon ver 31.0 is now available for download

Add startpage :slight_smile:

Having the installer tell you it is installing more than just the browser - Especially now that it has an auto update feature ( which has proven in past versions to be a pain in the proverbial when the comodo programmers get it wrong occasionally leaving everyone with a version of the browser they would rather go back to the previous version … which is no longer available … thats the main reason I do not allow your auto updates, and even more recently stealth introduction of features like CMS )

… with tick boxes and a brief description of what the feature does, to disable them at install time would be the best option IMHO

It already asks if you would like Adobe Flash thankfully so that we can un-tick the most prevalent spyware on the planet

It already asks if you would like Comodo Secure DNS ( which I do use, but it is nice to have the option at install )

Why cant it do the same for all the rest

Recently it seems options to disable new additions are either by the Extensions or Plugins page if you know where they are, or by setting a registry entry to disable one of them.
When will we ever know if that registry key is no longer required ???

And I think the installer should also respect any previous decision - If you have already installed Dragon, and an update comes along to overwrite your installation, any previous selections should be sticky ( probably by having the installer set registry keys which can be checked for by the installer on each subsequent run, and set accordingly )

Personally I would also like to see the installer clean up any previous stealth introductions :

For example CMS, all of your users were “gifted” the feature automatically, without the installer notifying them

If a future installer allows you to deselect CMS, then it should also clear out the previous stealth installation of that feature ( and possibly any redundant registry keys ).

I think they might be changing the Comodo Message Center, I just did a clean install of Windows and installed Comodo Dragon and the “EnableMessageCenter” registry key already had the value “00” without me having to change it, or maybe it was carried over through the sync when I logged in?

Ooh yes : And if that is the case, the installer should also cater for people who do not use any sign in / cloud based features / sync ( I regard these bright ideas as potentially storage the NSA for example can easily access without a by-your-leave ).

I have some bugs, printing displays the new tools down the sides and upsets print format >:(
Switching to explorer!!! (help) til fixed… use it all the time so not something i can live with

That is a lot of extensions. Thankfully they are not hard to remove if you want to.

since the update, I encounter problems: all extensions (including Comodo’s own extensions except the drag&drop service) will not work after restarting Dragon - I need to deactivate and re-activate the extensions in order to get them working - until closing of the last browser window, then the extensions are again ‘dead’ after restarting the browser… :frowning: ‘not working’ means: icons are shown, but extension seems not to be running, no filtering is done, no activity signs shown and left-click does nothing

setting (probably important): start browser in incognito mode - PrivDog and ScriptSafe allowed to run in incognito mode (but problem also occurs in normal windows, which are started manually)

P.S.: confirmation - after disabling ‘start browser in incognito mode’ all extensions work fine after (re-)starting CD - re-enabling the incognito mode as default brings said problem back

P.S.2: only exception is the drag&drop service, which still runs also while incognito mode is defaulted

P.S.3: after seeing two more posts with probably similar or same problems, I filed a bug report under https://forums.comodo.com/bug-reports-cd/bug-v31-start-in-incognito-mode-disables-extensions-t100983.0.html

I really like this version. The drag & drop feature is great and since my default search always has been Google, I have no problem with that.

I have not found any flaws yet in this version but that may be because I am the only user, don’t log in to it, never use the incognito mode, and never sandbox my browser.

My default browser is still IE 11 but this Dragon version comes the closest of any alternative I have ever tried (I’ve tried all the major ones) to making me consider switching.

Hi w33d3r,
It is like I said previously the features in discussion here are just features unique to Comodo browsers, it just so happens Comodo was thoughtful enough to add these features as extensions and not fully integrate them allowing for easy removal if not required.
If every feature was optional during install the install process would become slow and watch the complaints roll in then regarding the install process as bloated.

The Flash Plug-in and Comodo DNS are both a different kettle of fish, they both can change the system or system settings in some way where as the extensions are specific to the browser.
The Flash Plug-in and Comodo DNS need to stay optional during installation, but not the Comodo extensions IMO.

In regards to CMS I am not sure of what the future plans are for this, sorry.

Kind regards.

Well you asked “I am just wondering how to properly introduce new features other than include them in the software and post in the new release topic?”

If all features were presented on the same installer “page” as for example the adobe flash tick box is, so that there were say 5 tick boxes instead of one … Is that making the installer more bloated ?.
( See attached mock-up )

The installer being automated by default, is the first place anyone is likely to see a new feature …

Whereas the forum will be the next place anyone looks for more details about the release - Only to find the installer has slipped something onto your machine you may not have wanted if you had prior warning.

To me the latter circumstance gives more rise to complaint than the former.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Yes I did and your opinions are appreciated thank you. :slight_smile:

If all features were presented on the same installer "page" as for example the adobe flash tick box is, so that there were say 5 tick boxes instead of one .. Is that making the installer more bloated ?.

The installer being automated by default, is the first place anyone is likely to see a new feature …

Whereas the forum will be the next place anyone looks for more details about the release - Only to find the installer has slipped something onto your machine you may not have wanted if you had prior warning.

To me the latter circumstance gives more rise to complaint than the former.

The idea of having multiple tick boxes on one page as shown with your image is a suitable solution, as long as it specifies that they are Comodo browser extensions (Maybe a line separated category still on the same page). :-TU
Nice mock-up image, well done.
Maybe this is an idea for the wishlist.
Wishlist - CD
Wishlist guideline

Thank you.

Extensions can automatically update?

Wondering why not 31.0.1650.63 version?

Super confused.Thank!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Personally, I would never use any browser without Flash and I think I’m in the large majority there. To me, having it optional is kind of silly. You just miss too much content and usability without it. Why Dragon doesn’t use the pepperflash built into Chrome, I’m not sure. The DNS I never use because it’s slower than what my ISP provides.

Have a read of my posts in the following topic
https://forums.comodo.com/help-cd/what-settings-for-flash-player-to-use-to-protect-privacy-t73482.0.html;msg571744#msg571744

Comodo Dragon is supposed to respect our Privacy and have good Security
You can not have those with Flash installed.

I agree that pepperflash ( googles version of flash ) would be a better option than the full blown plugin … It is better sandboxed, and respects chrome plugin permission levels …

However even with pepperflash you might aswell have the nsa watching everything you do instead, they would be less of a worry than flash I reckon :slight_smile: - It would not surprise me if they are able to take advantage of not so well known exploits of pepperflash the same as they do with the biggest exploit vectors … Adobe flash and Java runtime plugins

Comodo would have to make their own version of pepperflash, probably cutting out some of those 15 different communications methods, and severely hamstring the actionsource programming capabilities just so people can watch youtube … When there is html5 coming up, and already VLC media player browser plugin will play most online videos

If you want to be scammed by free apps and games for advertising and market research ( which PrivDog will not be able to protect you against with flash installed ) - Just use google chrome instead with pepperflash, why degrade the best features of this browser with the most prolific spyware out there ?

There is one thing about not having it installed which irritates me …
https://forums.comodo.com/wishlist-cd/please-kill-the-missing-plugin-banner-vote-here-t85553.0.html

There is no doubt you are in a large majority of users though, the whole world has been seduced into using it. Most people are clueless as to why they should not because they just blindly follow instructions that it is ‘needed’
And so there is comfort in following the crowd who believe there is nothing wrong with it.

I choose Comodo Dragon because it promises good Security and Privacy …
And the Boss here has publicly given a Manifesto describing his reason for all Comodo software :
http://www.melih.com/2008/08/07/comodomelih-manifesto-why-i-am-doing-what-i-am-doing/

The thing I dont understand is - Why do people want to see it reverted to having all the features of google chrome with a different name ?

This is really fast and good.
I have one suggestion though. I have been telling this very long time in the forum.
Why not mention the version number on the main comodo site.

on this site there is no mention of version number or which chromium version it is dependent on.
It is the same situation for all comodo softwares.

No detailed mention of customized addons and plugins.

I think I wont look up the forum to download a new version of browser (of course, unless it is a beta) or to look up new features.
I always look at main website for these details.

Thanks
nellai

I am discovering the Drag&Drop feature in my Drogon and CID. It makes faster browsing, save the time :-TU FastestFox made the same thing in the past when I used Firefox. Thanks devs for this extension. :slight_smile: Please check fastestfox features and try to add D&D feature and please add settings section for the D&D…

Regards

Now using this version 31. Version 30 was better.

SYSTEM: Windows Vista, wireless connection to internet at home;
laptop computer 5 years old, 1.83 GHz Processor, 3 GB RAM, 32-bit Operating System.

All addons/extensions in Comodo Browser off, except WOT, and ABP(addblocker plus). Incognito Mode.

Some pages slow to load; worse is that many advertisements on pages are not being blocked. Sometimes they are, often they are not.

I’ve noticed a recent problem CD, actually it is more to do with Privdog.
Any url exceptions I put in there disappear every time I close CD & restart it. This means I have to enter them all again.
As I say this happens every time I close & open CD.
This has only recently started to happen, used to be alright.
Anyone one else having this?

I know about all of those things but they don’t really concern me. If it was illegal, they couldn’t do it and if I get a few ads which my tracker list will block anyway or a few emails that I can only see once and never again, so be it. The biggest complaint I have when using my Nexus 7 tablet is that I can’t see flash content in my browser. I use Dolphin which is now supposed to support flash but crashes every time you try to see anything. The android version of Chrome won’t play it either and the Android version of Firefox is just hideous. Switching to HTML5 is fine but very few sites have actually done it and I do not want to use an extra player just to see videos. Google and Apple have tried to force the transition by no longer supporting flash but it doesn’t seem to be working. They should have waited until the changeover was actually in place.

If all wait, nothing happens. :wink: