Comodo Dragon ver 23.2 is now available for download

In this new version 23.2 the ping and speed improved significantly, in my Comodo Dragon before had the ping at 75 and now at 67, it will not but I think this improvement is the extension Privalert, which incidentally have to activate all options manually.

Im loving this update, thank you Comodo! The new addition is a welcomed addon! :-TU

I will admit, I’m a hard guy to impress, but color me impressed. The Privalert extension is awesome. Web pages open quicker than ever and it only uses about 12MGs of RAM compared to adblock with uses close to 35MGs.

Great job guys!

will it have noscript like functionality later down the road? if not is there anything you can tell us that it may have in the future

This is big thing for CD. :-TU
But yet i will need few days to check it’s functionality vs ghostery and disconnect plugins.

so far from what I can tell it can ads in videos on YouTube but not hulu. also from when it blocks ads on a page it removes the ad and displays a message in the ads place saying something to the effect of comodo dragon has blocked check your 3rd party extensions to see if they are the cause of it. the next time it blocks the same ad on the page, the ad is gone along with the message and the place holder for the ad is removed so you don’t see a blank space where the ad was

for ad free surfing just use Adblock Plus with fanboy (ultimate, annoyance, tracking) lists…
PrivAlert will block (if it works like ghostery/disconnect) thing you dont see but generate while surfing.
I’m on my work so still hadn’t had time to play it with.

Hello,

PrivAlert is not an Ad Blocker (but don’t worry, soon… ;)). Basically it analyzes the website and looks for any means of tracking(pixels, tags, scripts etc.). Normally, when you access a webpage, anything that is loaded should have something to do with what you see and do in that page. So, why anything else should be there?!

But in some cases you might Trust that owner of that website or you Know very well what all those tracking are for and you agree with. That’s why we allow you to whitelist them.

Great release! Thank you. Keep up the hard work guys :slight_smile: :-TU

Privalert does look great. But it also looks 97% identical in look, feel, and process flow to Ghostery. So it quite obviously is based on Ghostery. That is fine, it is no doubt licensed from the Ghostery people. Just like the initial versions of Comodo AntiVirus were licensed from Computer Associates CA-AntiVirus (no longer for a few years now.)

So I would appreciate some disclosure and transparency about the sourcing of Privalert, and without disclosing sensitive internal plans, something about what Comodo plans to do with it as they move beyond Ghostery. As I suspect would other posters, such as w33d3r, who asked a great series of questions early in this thread.

Seriously, I think this could be a great addition. And I trust Comodo a whole lot more than I trust the ad-industry company that now provides Ghostery. While respecting that Comodo and Evidon, Inc. (Ghostery company) may have non-disclosures on some terms.

Just like in concept I trust Comodo’s take on Chromium more than I trust Google’s.

So let’s have the list of how Privalert differs from Ghostery.
Perhaps items like:

1. Does not have a “Provide Ghostrank” feedback checkbox - that is the feature where you can opt-in or out to provide Ghostery/Evidon info about what is being blocked and what sites you go to. There is no checkbox for this feature in Privalert. Does this mean that Comodo doesn’t get the feedback at all? Does it mean it is on and feedback does get sent? If so, does it go only to Comodo or does it go to the OEM for the base code of Privalert, which is obviously Evidon/Ghostery? Or is the lack of a checkbox showing that Comodo does NOT track this at all?

2. Ghostery seemed slower than Privalert to me. Ironically I had just installed, used, not liked the perf hit, and uninstalled Ghostery the same day that Comodo auto-updated my Dragon. So far I don’t see a hit with Privalert. Did either removed code, recompiled code, or other optimizations make it work snappier? If you made it better, brag on it!

3. Whose list of blocking and threats are you using? Your own? Evidon/Ghostery’s? A third-party? A combo?

I think what you just added is excellent! I think that full disclosure of its roots and why your version is best is even more excellent. Please do.

And thank you for continuing to evolve this great browser!

First of all thank you!

comodo AV was never licenced from CA.
Privalert is all Comodo…no licenses from anyone.
we don’t send stuff back thats why there is no checkbox.
we collect the block lists ourselves. (if we are missing any pls let us know).

melih

Good point I wanted to ask the same… Ghostery blocks the same things as Privalert… Also almost the same look and function.

To the developers of Privalert… You took an inspiration from Ghostery? Because it looks like it.

One more thing… Can I use Privalert and Ghostery together or not?

Thank you for the answers, Melih, and sorry if I misunderstood the origins of Comodo AV. Somebody back around the time of launching CAV had licensed CA for their branded version for a while… memory fades! ;D

Glad you are not tracking us by your anti-tracking extension! And glad that you are doing your own lists. This makes me even more confident about using it.

Still curious about the look-and-feel though… But there are only so many ways to slice a loaf of bread, right?

As i find out in today day of surfing i got the same number of blocked scripts under Privalert and ghostery.
But being privalert from comodo i ditched ghostery as there is no need for it anymore (they both do the same thing) and also as Comodo announced that they have big plans with it.

its a tiny user interface and stuff being showed is very similar…i am sure our guys will continue to put Comodo touch to it…

Privalert options and totals in each category for blocking:

Advertising-612, Analytics-243, Widgets-132, Tracker-264, Privacy-18

Ghostery options and totals in each category for blocking:

Advertising-612, Analytics-243, Beacons-264, Privacy-18, Widgets-132

Identical counts, slightly different menu order, one category name changed.

So there is absolutely no relationship between these products? And no relation between the lists used? Despite the exact same number of items in each blocked category? (“Beacons” in one, “Trackers” in the other, identical items in each list.)

Sincere question. It is reasonable for users, reviewers, the press, and other stakeholders to see this similarity and wonder what is going on. Melih, I hear and respect your answer above. However, this still looks to be the same basic product, and if not, a product with nearly identical look-and-feel.

As someone who regularly does use and does promote and recommend Comodo products, but not from the perspective of a “Comodo Fanboy”, I would sincerely like to know what is the relationship between Ghostery and Privalert. As, I suspect, will others.

It is entirely possible that you solved the exact same problem in the externally-appearing nearly-identical manner and independently obtained the exact same counts of threats in the exact same categorization schema. However that is a lot of supposition and not the obvious answer.

(note to mods: Please do not attack, block me, delete, or remind me that “you are on our list” simply because I am making a legitimate question and request for clarification on what is the biggest new feature of this release. At least without thinking about what you are doing if you so do, and the perception thereof. I am not attacking anybody or anything here. I am asking for clarification beyond the short CEO statement above as to why your product looks and functions near-identically to a product from somebody else. Unlike Chromium, Ghostery’s base code is not open source, so the “Dragon looks like Chrome” doesn’t answer it. Someone else is surely going to ask the same thing, including perhaps the formal computer press, including perhaps Evidon Inc, so perhaps it makes sense to have a better answer prepared. Thank you.)

Yeah. Thanks. I done the same :slight_smile:

it was perfect. :-TU thanks

Thanks for the update (especially privalert). Great to see Comodo adding their own extensions now :-TU. This will set CD above the competition. Keep up the good work.

:slight_smile:

I have made a mistake by deleting Privalert from my CD’s extensions… is there any way to get it back?
Thanks