Comodo Dragon 36.1 is now available for download.

Looks like they removed the page translation feature entirely instead of fixing it?

Is this change permanent?

I personally don’t mind the change, I was already using a theme anyways (the theme I used was compatible with the previous version). However, it is really confusing when suddenly several items I often used were suddenly in different locations.

I find the new black theme a sore for the eyes and atrocious aesthetically. It just look like a mortuary announcement.

the page translation option, still does not work :-\

I’m with guys above, I don’t like the new look. The old one was light and clear while new one looks more aggressive, heavy and, ehm… blurry. If there’s no option for returning the old UI back, maybe anyone could make a Chrome theme to look like old Comodo Dragon? At least colors, yeah…

Same problem with the icon, it’s awful. Aggressive and blurry. If your original picture is so high res and highly detailed you can’t make an icon from it just by resizing it. All details would be lost and what is left is just a small blurry picture. Icons are not made this way… I attach the comparison of old and new icons, see the difference…

[attachment deleted by admin]

A big positive to point out is multi-tabbed same site browsing is MUCH better E.G. Browse ebay middle-clicking on all the results while trying to scroll used to cause unbearable lag and stutter. It now seems fine :slight_smile:

Hi All,

We are seeing how popular the old look was. We will consider for the next release adding an option to switch the menu button from right to left and maybe the colour scheme however it’s unlikely we’ll add back in the squared tabs and other GUI elements.

The issue is we don’t want to delay the release of a new version because of these cosmetic changes.

please review the page translation option, still does not work :-\

Think of it this way: you had something unique. Your UI was great and had a badass dragon eye in it! Of course it’s not the main feature, but it is one of a kind. For example, you can find substitutes for media downloader, privdog etc, but you’ll never find this (or even similar) UI design. It was one of your advantages over bleak chrone design and you just got rid of it.

On a related note: is this normal? I have white text on white background in new tabs for google links and grey on grey for bookmarks. Is that the part of the new look too?

http://cs619816.vk.me/v619816148/220e4/9oDtzCFFP3Y.jpg

For people looking to get back “old dragon look” try googling for some “chrome theme creator” website. I used this one and satisfied with results, it’s pretty simple: Chrome Theme Creator - Create Custom Google Chrome Themes Online

Also you can google for “comodo dragon screenshot” to get a reference of an old look.

Finally!! Initial thoughts…

The Good:

The Bad:

• Strongly prefer previous layout and theme. New one just lipstick on a Chrome pig so far
  • No gui settings options to selectively enable/disable TLS protocol version (1.0/1.1/1.2) like Opera 12x has
  • Resolution of new icon looks like garbage on my system for some reason. Sure that’s an easy fix

My initial reaction was a bit {expletives deleted} :slight_smile:

Shame its lost the Dragon eye on the settings icon :

Fair points though, I think what a lot of people are not saying outright here is ( and I feel this too ) the way Chromium Secure came along into this part of the forum, after so long waiting for an update, and then oops we now realise that Dragon is still needed so we will get right on it to be released approx one week later ( make it sound like we had something all along ) which turned into a month … It feels to me like a new Dragon before Chrome Secure was released was actually getting binned, with Chrome Secure as the new Dragon replacement, for more compatability with flash probably ( beggars belief that this is a privacy respecting browser if that spyware is given so much importance leveraging the direction of development ). And then when we get Dragon, its actually a made over Chrome Secure.

It reeks of not telling the full story, and when the subject is a Privacy and Security respecting browser, you cant blame your already jaded users from internet land always wary of the shift in company T&Cs being just a tad suspicious of a company which has binned many projects in the past, sometimes without even giving moderators a heads up that what seemed like important projects everybody was coming to rely upon ( for one example - Comodo Secure Email down in the pile of Discontinued Products ).

Nice to see the company leader throwing the occasional bone :
Well done team
Rousing words
Keep it up
Hurrah !
What was this about again ?
88) Melih does his usual appearance, like General Melchett off the Black Adder series.

Also [at] Dragon devs : WTH is with the Taskbar Icon

… All my own work age 5 ?

Anyway, childish sniping asside on this rush job - Willing to keep testing it and look forward to the next update and hopefully Dragon gets back on track to being a stable Secure and Privacy respecting browser …

That we can still rely upon - Hell there was one report of someone in a post who’s online banking had been rejected because the browser was so far behind the update curve.

It would not be the first time they have tried something like that, making the code so hard to undo for any third party developer using the open source code that it is too much to bother with redesigning every time a new version comes along.

One thing I experienced, this new version installed itself, why ?.

I had the previous version set up to inform me of new versions, but not install them

This version just stormed in to my computer and made itself at home ( Hence the expletives deleted mentioned earlier, and the trust of this user diminished just a little bit more )

Previously I have also uninstalled Privdog

Usually when an update comes along it respects that you have chosen to get rid of the extra fluff your installer usually tries to install in previous installation attempts …

This time it just installed it whether I wanted it or not. I am using EFF’s Privacy Badger these days, so currently do not want PrivDog also installed making the browser slower duplicating similar tasks in the background.

Trust diminished, just a tiny little bit more.

Good to see your old background service did not install aswell ( hell what was it called ) some kind of background service which could only be disabled with a registry setting, which informed users of things we might be interested in … Oh right, like the steam client an advertising mechanism in the users face every day … But you called it a message centre or something that sounded like we might need it for important messages from Melih … Well done chaps, Tally ho!, CMS uses TBD ( to be decided ) - Dont worry about an uninstaller for this, we dont intend to :).

Now Cert Sentry - This sounds like something which could be good - How do we install it ( I unzipped the NSIS installer to see the necessary bits and pieces which could potentially install without a by your leave ( having already had my browser replaced without notification, and a plugin added I did not ask for ) ) ?

Edit : Disregard that last question, the installer I took to bits is 33.1 of Dragon, the link in the OP is not working as intended, and the new website which hosts it Softonic now ? ( with its own strange installation instructions which look nothing like an installer for Dragon ) … Is not feeding us the goods we are looking for.
Trust … very slightly, just a little tiny bit more … diminished. Sanya IV said “It seems that for each time Comodo updates something, I get increasingly Cynical… Hmm.” - More cynical the more we get to know Comodo ? … I think its a common trend.

?? … ?.

My brain has to rewire every time you guys are changing the UI.
My brain doesn’t like to rewire :frowning:

I too liked the old (dagoon like) UI more than the new chrome like UI. But the issue for me is not the menu and tabs, but the black color. When Google and most of the internet is black (dark) text on white (light) background, making a dark toolbar with white text (dark blue on mouse-over??), makes it painful for the eyes. The toolbar is beautiful indeed but I say its not very practical… (I should mention that I also have some dark icons on my bookmark bar which are now almost invisible… like Steam)

Oddly I had a blue screen when my browser auto-updated… I don’t know how or where to look for errors.

I got version 33.1 when I downloaded the link?

Hi All,

We had a development theme with the old color scheme.

I’ve uploaded it to this post.

https://forums.comodo.com/help-cd/comodo-dragon-black-theme-t108151.0.html;new;topicseen#new

Let me know if this makes your views on this. Is the issue the colors used or the placement of the menu button?

Shane.

The new theme is detected as a TamperMonkey script??? What the…?

[attachment deleted by admin]

That’s evidently a false positive.

SHA256: c93e66183c04496ad173e3cc3c4900f6398203cc626063cbfed87e3e5a8951e8
File name: Old Dragon Theme.zip
Detection ratio: 0 / 55
Analysis date: 2014-11-24 22:00:24 UTC ( 0 minutes ago )

Thank you shane for the old Dragon theme, much better!

Both! Not only the colors that were awful (fixed with the theme you shared with us) but the icon is also badly placed, much preferred it on the left side next to the tabs.

Edit: Would it be technically possible to make this an option? I recognize that it might ■■■■■ with the theme support so some people may want it on the right side like Chrome but I much prefer having it on the left side like in the actual Dragon.

It is disappearing after updating previously used extensions

This is a really good idea :slight_smile: Keep up the good work!