Comodo Backup 1.0.4.337 bug list [v1 no longer updated]

Yep - I regularly backup .5 - 1.25 GB of data to a private server using FTP. I have it to be more reliable with compression disabled, though.

Ewen :slight_smile:

It works for me too. I backup to my FTP server thru LAN and WAN from remote locations. It all works.
(:CLP)

The only problem I have is when I delete folders in the source, the corresponding folders in the destination do NOT get deleted. I do have it set to “Backup Mode - Copy with deleting other than source files.”
(:AGY)

And why-oh-why would the program let you backup to an FTP server, but not let you restore from an FTP? You can ONLY restore from local machine. Of course you could always use an FTP Client to get your files back when your computer or hard drive crashes. But it sure would be nice to have that feature right there in Comodo Backup.
:THNK

See attached.

Windows Vista Home Premium, 32bit, Service Scheduled backup, etc.

Edit: I tried a manual backup and a service backup, both don’t post the new date.

[attachment deleted by admin]

The date shows the last time the backup lob was manually run from within the GUI. Service backups, fro some reason, don’t get recorded here.

Can you please add this to the wishlist?

Cheers,

I just did a manual backup. I have done manual and service backups, but it still won’t post the new dates.

What do your backup logs say?

I just created a new backup and checked and it works when run manually. I changed the system date between attempts and the changed date was correctly displayed each time, and it was also correctly shown in the logs.

All my backup logs say is that the backup is started, and what files are copied.

And do the dates and times in the logs correspond to when the jobs were run?

Yes…

Although I can’t see any indication in the log about the service backups, only the manual backups.

I have comodo backup (1.0.4.337) set to email me when backups are finished.
I am using service backup.
I am in Australia. (+11 at the moment)

The time in the emails is UTC, not local time.

G’day,

Very odd - I’ve been using Comodo Backup with emal alerts for a couple of tears and the email notifications always arrive with an accurate local time flag (allowing for TPG’s never-in-time-sync mail servers, of course ;))

Can you try setting up a temporary hotmail or gmail account and have the notifications redirected there? This would at least determine whether it’s consistent across destination addresses.

Cheers,

Just installed Comodo Backup 1.0.4.337. I am backing up an NTFS file system to another NTFS external hard drive, running on Windows XP Professional.
Backup mode: “Copy with deleting other than source files”
Backup type: “User Backup”
Options: Incremental Backup
The problem is: Comodo is failing to back up files larger than about 1 Gigabyte in size. It is supposed to be able to handle up to 4 Gigabytes. Here is an example error message from the log:
“1/12/2009 at 1:27:28 AM | Error - Copying of file C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen\My Documents\My Videos'06_04_21_00\06042101.avi”

The documentation for Comodo Backup 1.0.4.337 states the following:
“Note: You can only create revisions if you select ‘Full Backup (recreate all)’ as the mode of copying”.
However, in the user interface, one can select the option to “Enable revision” regardless of whether “Incremental Backup” or “Full Backup” is chosen. Is that a mistake in the user interface, or in the documentation?

Another bug:

Using Vista Home Premium, 32bit. With the backup service running I can’t use “Safely Remove Hardware” on the external HDD that I backup with CBU too. Even when I’m not backing anything up too it, I get an error that says something like, “Can’t remove HDD because something is using it” when I try to use “Safely Remove Hardware”.

I get this too on vista home prem sp1 32bit.
windows sees the COMODO Backup service “using” that backup HDD even when it’s not backing up anything.
i manually backup regularly, so every time i’m done using CBK i stop the service from the CBK gui before i close CBK and i can properly remove the hardware.

Hi, guys. I have a problem with backup. I am trying to make a backup of 110 GB of data, and every time, after 20~30 minutes after starting a backup job, my computer stops responding.

System: Windows XP SP 2
Backup mode: Copy with deleting other than source files
Backup type: User backup
Destination: Local disc
Incremental backup

And one more question. Are you guys still developing this backup software? =)

Cheers, #535.

I’m running an external simple .bat script to connect a network share before the start of backup and using X:\foldername as destination and having checked the “Create directory if it doesn’t exist” and “wait for application to finish” using Simple copy - incremental.

The script executes fine, but the backup checks for the directory and tries to create it before the script has finished connecting the network share - thus failing the backup because it can’t create the directory as X:\ has not yet been mapped.

However, there is a workaround: if i simply use X:\ as destination and use the script to connect to the destination folder for each backup as a mapped drive it seems to work fine

Checking for / creating folders for destination should wait for the external application to finish running first.

I have been using syncbackse - but don’t want to buy it for multiple machines. It’s interface would be a good model for you. Here are my issues:

It took forever to get “start a program” before backup to work, in fact, it worked after I gave up trying everything - I assume because backup had to be restarted to make it work? (I tried cmd /c xx.bat, xx.bat. on and on - that failed so tried the actual wake up program - no luck there either. The required syntax doesn’t seem to be documented - and, as I said, it seems that it wasn’t going to work until I restarted backup or something. So, I just left it with a bat file to wake up the backup machine and was surprised when it finally worked the next time I tried a backup.]

I use it to wake up a backup machine - I run a bat file to wake the machine up then periodically hit it to stay awake when backup is busy for too long on the machine to be backedup. With syncback, I tell its backup to wait X seconds after starting the program before starting the backup - that would be a useful feature.

Excluding specific files is extremely difficult to understand - OK, I “add” an item - file isn’t one. So, I add a folder. OK, do I delete subfolder? Oops, exclude disappeared – muddling through, I finally try exclude filter - there are my filters from before? So, I guess I add a filter of the name of this file then checkmark it? I guess.

So, now what? I am backing up C:, do I have to go back to it and exclude the folder from C: that I just created a filter for? Will it be backed up twice or what?

And, since I created these filters for the original C: backup, I decided to look and none of them are checkmarked. Does that mean that they are ignored??

I recommend the traditional tree structure (like syncback) where I can collapse/expand folders, check or uncheck them to be backed up, etc. Masks should be separate, of course. But the structure is simple and well understood.

Syncback has a sync mode of sorts. It apparently remembers what was backed up last time and sends the differences w/o checking the destination first. This can be a whole lot faster. [Then weekly, for instance, I follow up with a full/regular backup which checks the destination.]

Comodo backup [backup with delete] says it is deleting all these files at the beginning - looks awfully scary – and isn’t true - I checked both the destination and the source and it was doing nothing, so why is it saying this?

I try things then try to stop it – good luck with that. Backup does not stop. I have to keep killing it. There it is eating up 75% of the cpu telling me that it is deleting things that it isn’t and I cannot stop it. Why?

I have not used its scheduling - I saw some messages, so I don’t know. I would have thought that the issues wouldn’t exist if you could go into the scheduler and just set what you want regardless of what comodo backup wants. I guess I’ll see if I start using the backup.

Finally, I use syncback to copy websites to my pc to back them up. Cannot do that with comodo. This would require a “restore” mode. I cannot tell comodo that FTP is the source and that my PC is the destination. [With syncback, it is a little screwy in that you tell it to backup the destination to the source - but it is the same thing.]

I have not yet run them both and compared - I was surprised that many hours later comodo was still backing up, but I don’t have a direct comparison w/o running syncback on the same machine/network. [I also run a lot of status stuff - I don’t see the network in high activity, the source PC or the destination PC - I expect to see one of them like 50% busy doing something - disk, cpu, network bandwidth - but I don’t. However, please assume that I’d see the same with syncback unless I post again, I suppose – if I get to it.]

All that aside, I very much appreciate decent utilities w/o a price tag [OK, I count my time worth $0/hr, I suppose]. I try to keep points clear for you w/o patting you on the back - so it can seem like a bunch of whining, I guess. That is not the case - I consider them “problems” which “we” are working on and just want to make it quick and clear what I see.

Thank you for putting this thing together. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that I can use it everywhere!

– Joe B.

G’day,

You could add

dir c:*.* /s >nul:

to the end of your script file. This will read the entire folder structure of your C: drive and throw the output away to NUL:. This should induce sufficient delay.

HTH

Hello!
I have a problem or i am wrong.
I’m trying to backup my folder. There some subfolders and files with square brackets in their names (like “D:\Data[REPORTS]” or “[some text] other text.sql” and so on). The problem is that these folders and files doesn’t included in backup archive file.

OS - WinXP SP2
Regional settings - Russian
Backup type - Service Backup
Compress enabled with “Store full path” checked
as source for backup there is a folder with subfolders
Exclude mask - *.tmp, there are no excluded folders in backup properties

I need these files and folders, and i was surprised very much when i found their absence in the backup zip file.

Maybe i do something wrong, but what exact?