Comodo AV Takes 9+ Hours to Scan

Hi All

I really need some help here.

On both my computers (laptop and desktop).

On my laptop the scan took 2 hours and wasn’t even complete. It seemed to hang around scanning the IE 7 Updates folder. I set both computers to NOT scan archives, and to skip files that take 60 seconds or more to scan. The heruistic level is LOW. I uninstalled Peer guardian on my laptop and the desktop still has it on the pc.

Last night Comodo did an automatic scan on my desktop. it took 9+ hours and when i woke up it still wasn’t done. My laptop still didn’t finish after 2 hrs of scanning.

Is there an option to select in the AV section of Comodo to speed up the scan process.

I appreciate anyone’s help.

Thanks guys

Also, i noticed on my laptop, I just did another scan, and even on just the CRITICAL AREA scan, the scanner froze on the file IE7 Updates/ IEAKUI.DLL

i suspect this is doing this on my desktop too. So the regular manual scans of C:\ freeze.

While I don’t know what is causing comodo av to take 9+ hours, but until the problem gets solved, I’d stop using it for now

NOW, If you having a computer problem, I’d recommend this (there are many different ways, but this is my way)

go to download.com

1. get avira (free version and do the updates) <-----it has the best detection on the market
    2)get malwarebytes (free version and do the updates) <----this is very good for stubborn malware (trojan, spyware, etc)

now restart your computer, keep hitting the “F8” until a new screen comes up.
go to “windows safe mode”
run avira and malwarebytes
clean the infections
If you have alot of infections, run it again
after your computer is clean, restart the computer and it’s business as usual

Let us know if this helps you

also for the slow anti-virus scan
Do you have a old computer or running more then 1 real-time security program?? Just curious

Thanks for the helpful information.

I uninstalled both Ad-Aware and Spysweeper (is the malwarebytes program all that i need???)

I always try to make the above spyware scanners run only on manual. I don’t like them running in the background. I did notice when i launched SERVICES.MSC that even when those programs were closed, they still showed up in running processes. I also tried to set the SpySweeper to MANUAL startup and it spit back an error and wouldn’t let me do that.

I downloaded both those programs, ran them in safe mode with no malware/viruses.

I might just keep Comodo uninstalled. The pc seems to be running about 10+ % faster, which is very good.

Do i really need Comodo (firewall)??? I also have a router, so that may help with the firewall. If it is good to have a firewall along with the Avira, which one would you suggest.

I loved Comodo, but it seems like it updated and it wouldn’t even run. I even had problems with my dad’s pc too. I had to uninstall and reinstall it.

Thanks for you help.

Also, you heard of any program called Unwash6.exe, Comodo detected it and raised a flag. Also the

SynTPEnh.exe was trying to access a part of my pc.

Have a good night :slight_smile:

I have a bug where is sometimes finishes a scan when it has only done about 1/5 of the files. If there is a bug in finding the files it might also scan areas of the computer repeatedly by finding the same file twice. Could it be doing this?

Greetings,

you might want to take a look at this topic. It was helpfull for other users before.
https://forums.comodo.com/anti_virus_help/av_scans_freeze_what_to_do-t36580.0.html

Please let me know if it worked,
Xan

Also make sure you’re running the latest version. Mine use to run slow and take hours to scan but the latest version is much quicker and takes my 1.6ghz win xp Pro SP3 machine only 30 minutes to scan 305,000 files.

Eric

I keep seeing people being referred to this tip. I would place this comment with it except the topic is locked.

From your Help window, search DEP and select 'How to change DEP settings' If your DEP is protecting everything on your computer, scroll down to locate the program cmdAgent.exe. Disable DEP from this program.

I have CIS 3.8.65951.477. When I search for DEP I get no topics found. When I search help for ‘How to change DEP settings’ I get no topics found. If I didn’t know that DEP was a Windows function not a CIS function, at this point I would start pulling my hair out. I already know how to change DEP settings, but many don’t. I think this advice misleads people into looking for something to change in the CIS settings.

Incidentally, I too have this problem and in my case, DEP is on for essential Windows programs and services only. (I’m using XPsp3.) I still get incomplete scans that cannot be terminated, with AV hanging on random DLLs. Since the only cure is a reboot, this is extremely annoying.

ETA: PS I realize Xan meant you should search Windows help, not CIS help. That’s my point, the tip should say that.

How to disable DEP totally (not only for CIS) because it’s useless anyway

start - run - notepad.exe C:\boot.ini

change

[boot loader] timeout=30 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS [operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS=”Microsoft Windows XP Professional” /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
to
[boot loader] timeout=30 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS [operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS=”Microsoft Windows XP Professional” /noexecute=AlwaysOff /fastdetect

so actually only changing : /noexecute=optin to /noexecute=AlwaysOff.

That will disable DEP.

Xan

I have a router and still run the Comodo firewall. It’s not very busy obviously, but I think the added protection of being able to catch any unwanted outbound traffic is well worth running the firewall even though the router takes the brunt of the internet onslaught.

You can run the firewall with Avira just fine. If you don’t want to use the AV portion of CIS, just go to add/remove programs and locate CIS. Click the change remove button, and when the wizard pops up, tell it you want to make some changes and uninstall the AV.

Somebody please tell me I’m dreaming and did not hear some VIP on a security forum claim DEP is useless.

. . . because it’s the one thing that can kill buffer overflows, one of the most common exploits found in viruses, and what’s fixed in most software patches.

Vista DEP (hardware based at least) is not totally useless. When I ran the COMODO BOTester, DEP blocked the first two attempts, and then COMODO blocked the last one.

DEP is not the one thing that can kill BO attacks. COMODO memory firewall (standalone or integrated into CIS) can block them too.

Personally, I keep both enabled. :slight_smile:

!ot!

That’s my view on it. For me, DEP is useless as I have buffer Overflow prevention in CIS already… :slight_smile:

Xan

For me, DEP is useless as I have buffer Overflow prevention in CIS already...

Yes, but does CIS enable or use the NX bits?

I don’t know how CIS works, but I seriously doubt it checks each and every memory access. That would slow everything down as accessing memory is what software is doing all the time. Using the the NX bits incurs zero overhead, making it the best way to go not only for being able to check every memory access, but also incurring no overhead while doing so.

I’m guessing that if DEP is available, then CIS actually uses it, and you will get a performance boost in CIS with DEP enabled because of the hardware NX bits.

It took 8 hours, 28 minutes to completely scan my machine. A few weeks ago, Comodo Anti-Virus only took one hour, ten minutes. The difference is I downloaded the latest version of CIS and installed it.

I am using Windows Vista on a Toshiba Satellite laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1 GH, 4 GB memory, 64-bit version of Vista.

No other anti-virus is concurrently running.

I am seriously thinking of permanently uninstalling Comodo anti-virus and using a different free anti-virus.

I can’t disable DEP for 64 bit applications.

Thanks in advance for your help.

(Even though the topic has gone 120 days without a post, it seemed appropriate to post here. Mods, please feel free to move or create a new topic.)

hello to everybody.

fresh install of comodo v5 (2011) and this happend on the first scan.

XP SP3 Pro, fully updated by microsoft, Imunnet protect free running side by side with comodo (not first time using both but first time it hang after 9h of scan and haven’t finnished). it was stuck on a file i belive to be compressed (office 2007)

heurs on all high in all types of scan, file size set to 1024MB (lots of p2p downloads because of games),

dual core E6500, 3GB of ram, HDD 320GB for SO and software, 500GB for downloads, etc. MBAM and SAS for on-demand scans, emisoft emergency kit fo on-demand aswell.

I’m reinstalling windows toninght to trie a diferent aproache (install xp, update it, install all regular software used, then CIS and scan for first time)

I would suggest to not go all the way of a clean Windows installation.

Even though v5 is doing a better job than v4, when it comes to not getting stalled at files during scanning, it still does sometimes.

It would help Comodo greatly if you would follow How to determine which file is causing a manual scan to hang to determine what file was causing the scanner to be hung.

And then file a bug report in the Bug Reports - CIS board following the format as described in FORMAT & GUIDE - just COPY/PASTE it!.

thanks for the reply ericJH… i think that i could be because i’ve installed xp from a usb stick (the most recent xp that i’ve downloaded it’s not burn to cd yet).

i’ve left the pc formatting and re’instlling the same xp form the usb stick just in case something didn’t installed well thew first time…

but 'll install CIS first after the xp updates and then scan just to check if ti hang without any other software…

PS: i’ll trie to reproduce the error to post a bug report if necessary…

Keep us posted on your findings. When testing with a clean Windows see what happens when you run a scan with CIS without Immunet running. See if that makes a difference or not.

hi eric. i’ve made a clean install of xp pro sp3 (thisa one was from an older cd that i have :slight_smile: )

cis did well on some on demand scans on some folder (programs files in windows (default instalation for all), some folders were i keep my downloads). did a another test after isntalling immunet fre and did ok.

today i’ll test after having office 2007 installed and updated to se if ti hangs again :wink: