cmdagent.exe abnormal ram usage

The shared RAM usage of cmdagent.exe under certain circumstances grows abnormally.
E.g., during a recent Windows update setup (KB5015807), it started to grow continuously till the end of the setup procedure and it reached nearly 4GB, then when Windows update finished its ram usage has been reduced only slightly remaining several GB high till the reboot.

So certainly, there is a bugged memory management that needs to be addressed.

I have latest CIS version available and Windows 10 x64.

Hi SMH17,

Thank you for reporting, Kindly share us the screenshot of cmdagent.exe consumes ram usage.
Also kindly provide us the below details:

1. CIS version ?
  2. Is there any other security product installed on your machine?

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

I haven’t done a screenshot and the version as I have said is latest available (12.2.2.8012). There aren’t other security products, I have also disabled Windows Defender.

Hi SMH17,

Thank you for providing the requested information.
If you found cmdagent.exe consumes high RAM usage in the up coming days, kindly take screenshot and share us & along with that collect performance logs using the Performance log tool.
follow the instructions provided in the below link to collect performance log.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pTArvZtX9OIufkRcgg062A0D9Xw_d-eL/view?usp=sharing
You can upload this log in any online storage and share us the download link via pm.
So that we will check what triggers cmdagent to consume high RAM usage.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

Ok (although I haven’t clear why you need the screenshot, since it cannot tell you anything more than what I have already state).

However, an important think I have forgot to mention is that I have only firewall and webfilter enabled, no realtime antivirus, virus scope, autocontainment or HIPS (I enable these only in specific situations).
And firewall is configured with custom mode so that asks every time when a not explicitly authorized software tries to connect.
As I have said it recently happened during Windows update and KB5015807 is a security update July 12, 2022—KB5015807 (OS Builds 19042.1826, 19043.1826, and 19044.1826) - Microsoft Support.

Note that in older CIS versions like V5 one could disable HIPS completely (CIS V5 needed a reboot to disable HIPS) unfortunately with newer CIS versions like V12 one cannot disable HIPS completely even if you switch it off in the GUI, some parts of HIPS remain active.

System has booted with these features previously disabled when the problem happened, I haven’t disabled them “at the moment” using the GUI.

Hi SMH17,

ok, we understood that cmdagent.exe consumes high ram usage only while updating the recent windows update(KB5015807) right ?

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

This is when I have noticed it because the ram usage was totally out of scale. The problem not always manifest itself but since it has a bug that cause high ram usage and doesn’t release correctly memory allocation (a thing particularly evident by the fact the RAM usage remained huge also after the end of the task that has triggered it) certainly this issue will happen also in other circumstances even if in most situations the mismanagement of memory is not so evident and goes unnoticed.

Hi SMH17,

Thank you for providing the requested information, we will take this to the team notice and update you.
However if you found cmdagent.exe consumes high RAM usage in any circumstances, kindly follow the below quoted steps.

kindly take screenshot and share us & along with that collect performance logs using the Performance log tool. follow the instructions provided in the below link to collect performance log. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pTArvZtX9OIufkRcgg062A0D9Xw_d-eL/view?usp=sharing You can upload this log in any online storage and share us the download link via pm. So that we will check what triggers cmdagent to consume high RAM usage.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT