CIS Charrette - Firewall Alert

~ WHAT IS THIS? ~

CHARRETTE:
A charrette (pronounced [shuh-ret], often Anglicized to charette and sometimes called a design charrette) consists of an intense period of design activity. The word charrette may refer to any collaborative session in which a group of designers drafts a solution to a design problem.

PURPOSE:
This is one of a series of charrette threads that I will be making to try and create an inclusive, consistent, and polished prototype for future versions of Comodo Internet Security. I am here to fulfill your wishes! - and some of mine - in the form of jpgs and pngs - to eventually be submitted in the secret (gasp!) usability sub-forum for review by developers.

YOUR ROLE:
I’ll be looking over the wishlist for features and suggestions to incorporate in our designs, but don’t hesitate to suggest ideas here. In fact, I encourage you to suggest ideas here - otherwise it’s not a charrette. I also encourage you to check out the related threads listed below and support our resident wishers. Just make sure that, if your suggestion warrants its own thread, that you do make a thread for it. I am not replacing the wish list.

[b]~ FIREWALL ALERT ~[/b] Login to view the image.

WISHES GRANTED: (well, hypothetically)

• The Considerations tab shows basic explanatory information and recommendations for novice users.
  • The explanation itemizes the reasons for which the connection has been rated its respective risk.
  • The Allow, Block, Apply buttons are organized in an intuitive fashion, with context. The are also placed to reduce stray click problems.
  • “… this connection” with change to “… this application” in the event that you lower alert frequency to only popup once per application.
  • The Details tab shows additional details about the connection for more advanced users. The fields can be selected and copied.
  • The Precision tab allows the user to customize, with extended granularity, alert frequency and precision. This function similarly to the tab frequency slider.
  • When the user toggles something in the Precision tab that requires a refresh of the alert to take effect, the user will get a prompt asking them if they want to refresh the alert.
  • When the user toggles something in the Precision tab that would have prevented the alert from showing in the first place, the user will get a warning prompt that the alert will not refresh. (And give the user the option to cancel what they changed.)
  • The More tab provides miscellaneous operations that may be of use to the more advanced user.

WISHES PENDING:

• Resolving IP addresses.
  • Defense+ alert.
  • Antivirus alert.

[b]RELATED THREADS:[/b]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Like always I love your concepts and I agree with this one.

Wow, that looks awesome! +1

Do want.

+1

At this point, is it possible for CIS to determine if Opera is a safe application? (I think so, if the signature is valid and the user didn’t receive D+ alerts).
If so, it would be nice to add this information somewhere, maybe next to the app name.

Because I know my parents won’t read everything, and they already blocked firefox once without knowing it (except firefox wasn’t working anymore and they didn’t know why :slight_smile: )

Maybe a gradient like what CIS has for virus/heuristic alert.

I like this idea, Glifford. It is information already being logged, so nothing new exceot where it would also be found.

Such information is in the Security Considerations tab, right there when the pop-up opens. I’ll look into ways to organize the information in there, but if people can’t 1) recognize the executable file for their web browser, 2) recognize the icon for their web browser, and 3) despite being unsure what to do, still refuse to read anything, even something called “security considerations,” then there’s not much helping them, imo.

Agreed :slight_smile:
But the important information was “my parents” ^^;
And your first point (recognize the executable) isn’t really valid, sometimes the name is different from the shortcut, and everyone knows a parent with 0 experience with a computer… It was with CPF3, I think CIS 5 greatly improved the usability, I’ll see…

I found this: http://wiki.comodo.com/CFP3/Help_Guide/Introduction/Alerts
Firewall alert seems fine, D+ alert is scary, where is the tl;dr ?
Something like the risk bar would work: Comodo Forum

:-TU :-TU This looks better then anyway I could have put it. This looks perfect for how comodo should change the alert boxes

+1

The list of tweaks is getting pretty long. These are the new changes…

• The table is updated to maintain visual consistency with text fields.
  • There are now a few text selection options.
  • There is now a whois function.
  • There is now a link to the log viewer.

Very happy to see the inclusion of selectable address for copy purposes and click IP for whois features!
+1 Great Work!

+1

How does it determine what the risks are?

For example for your Opera example how would it determine that the risks were “None”?

:stuck_out_tongue: Dunno. Probably by some combination of

1. whether the specific executable is a trusted/blocked/unrecognized file
  2. whether the vendor is trusted
  3. what Application Accesses are allowed/blocked for that file.
  4. whether or not there are allow and/or block Network rules for the file already.

… and the ‘explanation’ would include this information. Something like: opera.exe is a safe application signed by Opera Software ASA, a trusted vendor. You have already allowed other network connections for this application.

Though, there probably shouldn’t be a ‘no risk’ rating. Rather it should only go as far as ‘low risk.’

It could use this type of information too.

Indeed. For now I’m putting that thread on the related threads list. I’ll draft up something special sometime this weekend.

Stickied.

Awesome. :-TU

Great Thread, good and useful ideas to improve this application. I need (detailed) who-is information badly.

Can you give any details about when this new design will be available in the update?

Unfortunately (to some) the extent of my authority is access to the usability forum. I’m neither employed nor are my designs in any way official.

This design, and the others I’m working on, may never show up in the actual product.