I have a very serious problem with latest CIS 3.8 version (that is CIS_Setup_3.8.64739.471_XP_Vista_x64.exe).
First I want to clarify some things:
- I am using Vista x64 SP1 and accordingly I always use the 64-bit version of CIS.
- I use only the Comodo Firewall, I do not use the AV module.
- I do not have any other standalone AV, firewall, anti-spyware and so on.
- Up until a few hours ago everything was running perfectly with latest CIS 3.5 .
- I made a completely clean upgrade: uninstalled CIS 3.5 and then installed CIS 3.8, no settings from the previous version were transferred and imported into CIS 3.8 .
- Firewall in Safe Mode ; Defense+ in CleanPC mode.
On first boot after installing CIS 3.8 :
- Windows loads to the desktop
- No start-up programs are loaded, for example ObjectDock, uTorrent etc. - only the Microsoft IntelliPoint Software and the Sidebar.
- Double-clicking on program shortcuts on the desktop, or directly on program .exe files (for example perfectly trusted apps like firefox.exe, thunderbird. exe, winword.exe), or on .mp3 .pdf .doc .avi and whatsoever registered file type results in nothing but half a second “busy” cursor and nothing runs. CPU load stays 1-2%, typical for idling system.
Practically, no program is allowed to start after Windows start-up procedure.
After reading some other threads around here I identified Defense+ as the culprit. The fact is, after deactivating Defense+ completely (not just disable, but using the “Deactivate the Defense+ permanently” checkbox) everything runs as it should.
I played with many options of Defense+ but with no positive result.
Anyway, using CIS 3.8 without Defense+ is depriving it of one of its strongest sides and I think that it makes it much inferior to competing products.
So I thought, you guys with your extensive knowledge may help me here. I grew so used to Comodo Firewall that now when I know it works halfway I feel very irritated.