Cavwp.exe using 25% of resources

Sorry to see you go. If the problem persist after having follow Chiron’s guidelines for a clean install then the only thing we can advice is to report this as a bug. \

As a practical advice you can disable the AV or remove it using the Add/Remove components from the uninstaller and then try another av.

Moderators are end users like you. We are not Comodo employees. Comodo employees can be recognised by the Staff avatar.

Had the same problem.

Only that I have 13-15% CPU usage.
Percentage is core dependent. Since it’s some single core process. In my case it’s 15% because I have 8 core machine, user that reported 25% probably have quad core machine and so on.

First started happening few months ago. And I noticed that it happens when I come out of sleep/hybernate.
I uninstalled and installed again and the problem was gone. However now it started happening again.

I still have not found any solution for this so if anyone have any other information plese reply here.
As I can’t see any good replacement for comodo firewall…
cheers

The process belongs to the av of CIS. You can uninstall the av using the Add/remove components option of the CIS installer (can be found in the Start Menu) and install a third party’s av.

oh ok… is that the only solution?

also I tried disabling AV during the problem but it does not stop CPU utilization…

Only “end tasking” the process works…

It’s been almost three months since the CIS 6 came out, but the problem has not been corrected so far. I have 15-35% utilization with my Core2Duo E8600 under Windows 8 x64 Pro and I kill the proccess when I want to play games. I have also this problem on any other PC I have installed CIS 6. When will this bug be resolved?

Hello All,
i had the same pb 50% cpu utilisation on 2 Core but i resolved the pb. 8)
I had 2 cavwp.exe processes with one at 50% and always 1 task in the Comodo Widget.

Since i enabled the Netbios Null Session protection to disable attack i resolved the pb.
Now only 1 process cavwp.exe with 0% cpu. :slight_smile:

Port to block in Comodo Firewall:
TCP & UP 135, 137,138,139, 445 (on my home pc, so no Microsoft domain and no share used)
or
Normally same thing if “Microsoft Network Client” and “Files and Print Sharing” are removed.

I let you try. :wink:

I hope this will help you and Comodo guys too…

Bye

oops!
I mean TCP & UDP …
But know it… :wink:

Where was the attack coming from? From the web or the local network? Are you behind a router?

I was not but now yes. :slight_smile:
But in fact the solution i posted is not related to the %CPU pb.
The pb reappeared but i found the root cause… ;D

It’s simply the Cache Builder process that causing this full CPU usage. I checked it in Comodo Task MAnager. :slight_smile:

I disabled it in Comodo Interface and in Windows Task Scheduler too => no more pb.

The cache builder should boost the real time scanning but without it all is fast on my laptop.

Hello Dear All,
I had the same problem with cavwp.exe , consuming CPU somtimes about 95% (!).
So I decided to remove the antivirus component as I read formerly here.

I hope that Comodo will consider this problem, resolve it and I can use again the antivirus component.
Thanx
BofyG

This problem has been reported for a long time, why isn’t it resolved with 6.1? It is still a serious problem with 6.1. You can not kill the process, only solution is to reboot the computer.

For all those suffering see if the following basics make the problem go away or persist.

See if a clean install of CIS makes the problem go away or if it persists. When reinstalling CIS please follow Most Effective Way to Reinstall CIS to Avoid/Fix Problems by my colleague Chiron. It will provide a reliable and clean starting point.

Also see if disabling the cache builder helps to mitigate the problem.

i have some problem with that exe too
every time after reboot that exe try too kill my HDD ??? ???
in OS monitor i see how it read/scan all my other soft’s exe.
and HDD work very hardly

now i disable all cache builder and scan! why CAVWP reading all my HDD ???
i cant use PC >:( >:(

Do you have the av set to scan during boot? Are you on older hardware? A scan with the av is quite taxing which is especially troubling with older hardware.

scan during boot?
no cpu i7-3770 + WD Red serie

i want to disable all scan!!! only for realtime reading/writing

Please make sure there are no leftovers of security programs you had installed in the past. A possible left over can cause all sort of “strange effects”. Please run clean up tools for all security programs you had in the past. A list can be found here at the Eset website: ESET Knowledgebase .

Then try disabling Run cache builder when computer is idle helps. Can you also see if the high usage is happening when Windows indexer, a defragmenter program or similar utility is running?

Please run clean up tools for all security programs you had in the past.
CIS is a 1st on clear OS
Then try disabling Run cache builder when computer is idle helps.
already off
Can you also see if the high usage is happening when Windows indexer, a defragmenter program or similar utility is running?
only if some hidden services do that. i have no such apps in my autostart, but i dont disable default Win7 services

I have no problem after some time after reboot - only right after login +5-10 min with CAVWP.exe (

Sometimes looking with resource monitor (resmon.exe) you see what process is dragging cawp.exe along.

If you can identify a process you can exclude it. Or when nothing shows I would call it a bug concerning performance. In that case. If you have the time and energy please consider filing a bug report in the Bug Reports - CIS board following the format as described in FORMAT & GUIDE - just COPY/PASTE it!.

Reporting of bugs is strictly moderated to make sure Comodo gets clear bug reports. So, please make sure you closely follow protocol. That way your report will certainly be seen by Comodo staff.

now i disable Wins index, defragler and superfecth.
after reboot HDD work better, no strange scans, and first after login apps load better
i think superfetch+AV bad!

realy Skype and Firefox start now more faster